Elder Scrolls Online - Gathering and Exploration

Well, nobody is going to steal your loot in Elder Scrolls Online, all drops are instanced by player.

Now it they would stay out of my quest areas then it would be perfect. I still want that invisible option. :p

Why do people prefer to play a game tailored to online gameplay alone? It really makes no sense to me. Especially in the case of this game.

I've always found TES to be a very shallow experience, relying on a player to merely casually explore in order not to get bored with the titles' inherently recycled content. Any MMO is going to be even more shallow, having to compromise in terms of C&C as well as any hand-placed itemization. To partake of this while specifically trying to avoid the aspect of the game for which these compromises are made (mutliplayer) seems both a waste of time and self-defeating.

Why do people prefer to play a game tailored to online gameplay alone? It really makes no sense to me. Especially in the case of this game.

For me just to play solo and waste time. The game is designed to be like TOR anyway you have a story to complete.

If the MMO is like WOW then it really doesn't matter then. Create a private server for WOW then play solo you find the game turns boring quickly.

Last edited:

Maybe because the core gameplay is single player and not multiplayer. What are the video game MMORPGs that attempt to integrate a multiplayer gameplay?

Apparently, providing a multiplayer gameplay comes with too many difficulties, and designers preferred to structure the gameplay around a SP architecture.

I've always found TES to be a very shallow experience, relying on a player to merely casually explore in order not to get bored with the titles' inherently recycled content. Any MMO is going to be even more shallow, having to compromise in terms of C&C as well as any hand-placed itemization. To partake of this while specifically trying to avoid the aspect of the game for which these compromises are made (mutliplayer) seems both a waste of time and self-defeating.

I'm not saying that. I do like playing in groups much more than soloing, but when I'm solo exploring, I want to feel like I'm solo exploring. That's why I like instancing in MMOs. Going to a dark remote dungeon with your 4 fellow adventurers is much more belieavable when it's the 4 of you there, and not 100 people running around making it feel more like a day at the market.

I play MMOs a lot solo but I enjoy knowing its a "living" world with people in it. But I do like some balance. I like seeing people about ... but when they are as wolfling described then its just annoying and breaks immersion if you are trying to sink into the game. Course sometimes I am just there to chat with strangers and fool around then I don't mind.

Well I gotta say it's looking a lot more like an Elder Scrolls game now, that's for sure. When they first revealed ESO - it didn't feel like that at all. Kudos to the devs for steering it in the right direction.

As for the multiplayer / solo dichotomy - they could approach it like Shroud of the Avatar plans to: let the player decide how multiplayer they want to be and have control over who appears in their world. Not sure if ESO has the infrastructure for something like that though.

Back
Top Bottom