Might & Magic X - MMX Early Access

Just a small correction
I did not see how skills are really implemented. (I looked for a skills tab: I didn't find it. Maybe its just me..) And during level up there was only a distribution to the main attributes (no new skills).

Skills tab is a bit hard to find I think it was under a subsection to spells anyway you get 4 skillpoints to distribute on level up

I'll pick this up after I finish Divine Divinity.

I also found the UI confusing as it isn't focused via the character page. Apart from that, it looks like the game is on the right track. I found it easy to get into. At less than half the price of a standard AAA game in my region, I'm very happy with where it is heading.

I do like the grid transitions. It reminds me a little bit of Lands of Lore and Grimrock style of grid movements. The minor complaints I have at the moment could pretty much be all down to polish/in progress, rather than design decisions.

The game feels like a blend of MM 3/4/5 and MM6+, but I think that is everyone is expecting anyway.

my biggest complaint is that you cant properly target a specific monster, especially annoying in ranged combat.

edit: reading the manual, this is apparantly "a feature" ..

You can. At least it was so in the demo they had at the Games Com.

We (a person from the staff and me) had 2 enemies standing side-to-side before us.
The staff person showed me that he could click on the one he wanted to attack. It worked.
Don't know about several lines of monsters, though. Because there weren't any within the game. And the Boss was tough !

I played through it to some part - old school gaming galore ! I felt warped back into the 90s ! - With better graphics, of course. ;)

Don't expect high-end graphics ! Because there won't be. Compared to the newst shooter, it looks terribly outdated, I guess (I don't play shooters ;) ).

But : It looks good enough for me to be an instant buy ! :)

I also got one of these disquettes ... I wonder what's contained on mine ... ;)

You can. At least it was so in the demo they had at the Games Com.

in melee it works fairly good (not always), in ranged combat however it doesnt work.
reading the manual they call this a feature..
most of the times half the party targets one enemy, the other half another.

Green Man Gaming have the early access listed for $29.99. Also one can apply their 20% discount vouchers and get the game for $24. Strangely enough they don't offer a download or give any hint how you can use the game before its release. Fortunately they give you the 2 keys, which you can enter in uPlay and get MMX EA and MMVI with them :D

EDIT: Price is regardless of region.

They want money for that ??? Is this even legit ?

Why is this not posted into Pricewatch thread?

Didn't know about it :)

This community interaction thing seems to have been a core part of their concept since the very beginning of the project.

PC Games studio visit (English subtitles). It's already 6 weeks old but very interesting.

A group of 30-40 hardcore fans was involved regularly ("almost daily" - but without a starting point for this) "since the first month of the [game's] development". Of course it's unclear to how involved they really were. The community thing is obviously their marketing hook.

Primary reference point is World of Xeen, says the managing director early on.

Several examples of changes due to community input are given.

Yeah, it's 24€ for the game's Digital Deluxe Edition + early access. Sounds like a fair price too me.

Talk about doing this kind of "remake" in the right way... didn't expect this from Ubi...

Some early impressions:

+ game in the tradition of Might & Magic World of Xeen
+ turn based combat
+ tile based movement
+ 4 player party + 2 hirelings
+ you need food to sleep
+ weapons and potions are rare (not much looting)
+ hidden walls in dungeons
+ some puzzles
+ challenging combat (at least with the demo default party on the high difficulty setting)
+ chests can be traps that spawn enemies
+ leveling is hard

- enemies just stand on the map (only when you come too near combat starts and they begin to chase you)
- day night cycle too fast (every 20 steps or so)
- food can only be bought at the tavern (only up to 6 ) -> that causes much wandering between the dungeons and the town
- dungeons are not real 3d -> you can't jump/fall one level for example
- NPCs are not fleshed out -> underwhelming
- tile based movement a little bit slow
- some technical problems / resource hog / save game too big & gets corrupted sometimes / gfx card on the edge
- unbalanced loot selection
- some more monster variety pro dungeon would be nice
- the GUI is sometimes slow and not responding

-/+ gear is breaking fast / (maybe because I have still the very cheap stuff)
-/+ repairing things cost always the same (not depending how many things are broken, or their value)
-/+ shops are not refilling (in the demo)

Last edited:
- day night cycle too fast (every 20 steps or so)

Yes, that also irritated me in the demo. Needs definitively to be adjusted !

I´m on my third playthrough (didn´t finish the first) anyway this time I have changed the configfile and i have found it to be easy to rectify the day - night cycle
Since I don´t think I will do a fourth play I have also cheated by raising the skillpoint allotment per level increase since I would like to see the effects of some skills on expert level and also try some of the higherlevel spells

Back
Top Bottom