Insulted on a chess playing site for my handle - "nationalistic"

IMHO you got what you deserved. To elaborate while the response was bordering on outlandish; picking a name that hints at politics on an apolitical site is asking to be spanked. While some harmless names could be confused as being political (esp when you are not familiar with other cultures and the site is international); this is not one of those cases. You deliberately chose a name that had a high probability of receiving a political response and you got one. Live with it and stop your attention seeking whine.

You play on FICS? If you do find me as LuckyDayDragon.

Starship Troopers is a satire of fascist militarism, disguised as a Hollywood action movie. I don't think it needs an update - it's perfect for right now.

The few times I started to watch it, I've turned it off. Too gratuitously violent.

If you read the book, its not a satire. Heinlein actually believed that the right to vote or participate in government should require a service record. One would think his knowledge of history would have realized why this was a bad a idea (especially since WW2 would have been fresh in his mind) except the historical justifications of Stranger in a Strange land he's completely blind to why they continuously failed and the consequences of such societies.

Regarding the movie, Verhoven admitted having started the book but putting it down after saying he didn't want to do a coming of age movie - which goes to show he put it down way too early.

If it matters, I don't think this is p&r thread.
Noone has to agree with me, but IMO sjws are just another bunch of amateur trolls. As usual, the cure is not to feed them.
Seen worse outbursts than the one in this thread duting numerous LoL matches in the game chat. My reaction is always laugh and then ignore. Without any reaction, they get bored fast.

Yea, many of them (the SJWs) are just nuts. I am a nice person, but will give back what others give to me. If they insult me, I can come up with good insults too. But generally, I try to be nice and polite and maybe surprise people that a Trump guy can be reasonable and intelligent and polite! Maybe it will help persuade some of the people out there who have fallen for the non stop media bashing and brainwashing of painting all Trump supporters as low IQ raging nazis…:biggrin: That maybe, just maybe, it is not true after all, lol

Anyway, not trying to start a political topic or anything, just thought it was a funny incident.

Nationalism in Europe at least, and certainly in Germany, is being seen as extreme-right and in line with Hitler.
I gather you, or perhaps even many in the USA, see it as unrelated to him and as something benign. Perhaps when looking around you you see many like you and thinking like you in your country, so nothing out of the ordinary. Perhaps all those that voted for Trump see themselves as nationalists? (I know that Americans are very patriottic, to me it seems you are singing your anthem at every formal occasion and have your flag at every gathering.)
I, like that German, do not have the same perspective as you have, from within.

In Europe nationalists are a small group, though their numbers are growing. They have one thing in common, and not just for the last two trumpy years but for decades: xenophobia. That is their main focus, their main worry. As a result people have been killed, their houses burned. I am not talking about nazi Germany but recent times.

About being reasonable, intelligent and polite, I doubt that will win any of the critics over, for even guards in the camps were known to be great fathers taking good care of their family and neighbours. The ones having the end responsibility, Hitler and his staff, were not mister Evil either. Hitler was a vegetarian and loved his dogs.

Anyway, perhaps you’ll understand the reaction of that German better knowing that ‘Nationalistic’, to the majority of Europeans at least, is not an innocent label. And especially if you have known someone being burned or have heard or read the gruesome details, or have seen the hatred on the faces of nationalists parading in the street, you might not act diplomatic when seeing someone labeling himself as ‘Nationalistic’ on a chess-forum.

Bear in mind that nationalism is nothing new in the US, and it's always been just as pernicious as it has been in Europe, if not more so. It goes all the way back to "manifest destiny" and the clearing of the indigenous people, slavery, the Aliens and Sedition Act, Chinese exclusion, the Know Nothings and the anti-papists, and so on into segregation, the KKK and modern movements. This wasn't summoned by Trump - he's just emboldened it with a new confidence that it hasn't enjoyed in recent times. He is saying what many have wanted to hear for a long time.

They are not blundering into it innocently. They know what they're doing, however they try to dress it up. And they always try to put a suit and tie on it.

Interesting that a member of the board is directly and clearly compared to a nazi and nothing happens. What ever happened to terms of service? I guess those rules only apply to those of certain viewpoints. I see nothing has changed around here since my last foray and I regret even poking my head in. Sickening double standards.

Well, the TOS makes it clear that attacking someone's opinions, and by extension politics, is OK. Nazism is a specific set of political beliefs, and I think arguing that someone's views are comparable is well within the rules. If you wanted to try and make the case that my views are Stalinist, you're welcome to - I wouldn't complain to the powers that be, and I doubt the moderators would have a problem.

Bah I was called [removed] and much worse on the Trump thread today, and see no warning given out. I'll wear it with pride as I've been called far worse before. :cool:
Talk about being frustrated… even if I think he's [removed], he's knowledgable about video-games and also post a lot of news… (kind of randomly :rolleyes:)

But I'll stick to it, I don't need that kind of crass on my internet.
So said by dear Winterfart as a personal attack.

Last edited by a moderator:
It ‘d be fair of you all to complain if you’d taken the effort of just reporting it.

In the other thread an infraction has been given.
In this thread I see no violation of the TOS.

Show’s over. Back on topic.

Last edited:
Sickening double standards.
I don't have double standards, I have quadruple of them. Then again maybe I have even more. So, I'm quite flexible in that area. Maybe one of them even aligns with one of yours. Who knows, I have seen crazier things :)

Hey, that’s not on topic!
And I can’t even give you an infraction! Technically not possible. Sickening double standards! ;)

And I've been away for 3 days. Does that make it a triple standard??!! :)

It was from a german guy, by the way….someone got triggered! :lol:

In Germany, the borad consensus is still that "nationalists" are more or less = Nazis.
I mean, no party ever called itself "nationalistic" in its party name than the Nazi party.

Through football / soccer, people only rfecently have learned that being nationalistic can be not that bad - but still, people who outright claim that they are nationalistic are very much suspected to be Neo-Nazis.

If dealing with Germans, you have to be aware of the fact that "Nationalism" is very much frowned upon here in Germany, especially with *that* word.

If you had been using a less "openly visible" word, then it would have been not that bad.

On the other hand, Germans won't understand Trump's "America First !" attitude, and they often feel Americans who are nationalistic as arrogant a...BEEEPs [BEEP = censored].

Bavaria might be a bit different about being nationalistic. The former King is still being glorified there, even although he was very clearly driving the state of Bavaria into financial ruin by building more and more and more castles - and even some more.

There is one particular town of which I can say that there is what I call "positive town nationalism", which means people are so proud of their town they are full willing to wear town symbols etc. on their bags, T-Shirts and everything, and that is Cologne.
People in other towns might also have such a feeling of "town proudness", but I only know Cologne from my own experience.

In short, "Nationalism" often triggers Germans into thinking that someone who calls himself "nationalistic" is a Nazi, because of the Nazi party name.

Example of american propaganda : https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Büche...oston_Public_Library_-_Ten_years_ago_(by).jpg

The French president Emmanuel Macron hit the nail right on the head with his speech on the 100th celebration of the end of World War 1:

Nationalism is a betrayal of patriotism. By saying, ‘Our interests first, who cares about the others,’ we erase what a nation holds dearest, what gives it life, what gives it grace and what is essential: its moral values.

We Europeans have a long and bloody history of centuries of war based more or less on the same stupid notion: Nationalism.

"We are better than them, so it is our right to do what we please"

It's all BS and the sooner we as a species start to learn from our past the sooner we can finally start to progress … alas, looking at the world today it is clear that we're too effing stupid to learn anything and we're condemned to repeat our mistakes over and over and over again …. Homo Sapiens my ass, Homo Morons is a more fitting label.

Thanks to Eye and Alrik for the in depth explanation of how Germans perceive that word, that is something I didn't know. I guess that explains pretty well the guy's strong reaction. That said, I don't think I should have to operate by German standards with my use of language on a chess server. I am, after all, an American. So, I stand by my handle on that chess site.

I also would say that human history is full of nationalism. That is how many countries rose to power, with a healthy dose of nationalism. There is a theory of world politics that I learned in college. As far as I know, it is still the standard and most well respected theory. The theory can be boiled down to something simple, that the world is dog eat dog, and you want to be on top, and be the top dog. I know that sounds very primal, but humans aren't some kind of Zen enlightened creatures, obviously. With limited resources available in the world, the top dog will get the most. The ones on the bottom will get the least, and might not even survive (like, as a country or civilization) It is a brutal but probably very realistic philosophy of world politics. It definitely is not a Utopian vision of everyone singing in harmony and sharing everything equally, that unfortunately, is probably a pipe dream.

Thanks to Eye and Alrik for the in depth explanation of how Germans perceive that word, that is something I didn't know. I guess that explains pretty well the guy's strong reaction. That said, I don't think I should have to operate by German standards with my use of language on a chess server. I am, after all, an American. So, I stand by my handle on that chess site.

I also would say that human history is full of nationalism. That is how many countries rose to power, with a healthy dose of nationalism. There is a theory of world politics that I learned in college. As far as I know, it is still the standard and most well respected theory. The theory can be boiled down to something simple, that the world is dog eat dog, and you want to be on top, and be the top dog. I know that sounds very primal, but humans aren't some kind of Zen enlightened creatures, obviously. With limited resources available in the world, the top dog will get the most. The ones on the bottom will get the least, and might not even survive (like, as a country or civilization) It is a brutal but probably very realistic philosophy of world politics. It definitely is not a Utopian vision of everyone singing in harmony and sharing everything equally, that unfortunately, is probably a pipe dream.

Your first paragraph sounds nice (i didn't know etc.). However your second paragraph describes exactly the Nazi vision of the world. If that is the "normal" view for an American, this explains much about American foreign policy in the last decades...

Your first paragraph sounds nice (i didn't know etc.). However your second paragraph describes exactly the Nazi vision of the world. If that is the "normal" view for an American, this explains much about American foreign policy in the last decades…

That is the normal view since US inception. Nazis were not original in their point of view and looked a lot over the US shoulder to copy.

I also would say that human history is full of nationalism. That is how many countries rose to power, with a healthy dose of nationalism.
Nope. Nationalism is a recent idea. Human history spans over way more years.
There is a theory of world politics that I learned in college. As far as I know, it is still the standard and most well respected theory. The theory can be boiled down to something simple, that the world is dog eat dog, and you want to be on top, and be the top dog.

For a long time in human history, people acknowledged that usually dog do not eat dog. The dismissal of it occurred relatively around the same time as the nationalism ideas were conceived and took shape.

Back
Top Bottom