Make bootable USB

tzinebh

Traveler
My computer got corrupted with a blue screen. I am planning to make a clean install of Windows 10. What is the right step to create a bootable usb disk?

1. Google for Rufus
2. Can moderators please check this thread - those two smell as bots.

While you are at it. Please check the previous poster too. I wanna know once and for all. :)

There are no clear indications of either being bots, so I'm erring on the side of caution at this time.

Tried both Rufus and ImgBurn, but the computer says it is not bootable disk. Has this something to do with physical USB drive?

Last edited:
Tried both Rufus and ImgBurn, but the computer says it is not bootable disk.
Either your BIOS refuses to recognize USB as bootable (means go tinker with it, disable security measures, enable legacy and similar stuff) or you didn't create it correctly (google for steps although rufus should set everything right by default).

I've made numerous win10 bootable USB sticks for friends with just rufus and it never failed. Because rufus can make anything bootable, never heard nor needed any other similar util except MSI's so called smart tool - that MSI's util was nice half a decade ago as it automatically added USB 3.0 drivers on win7 usb bootable sticks. Today however when noone needs win7 installation any more, it's obsolete.

Hum. It occurred to me that you said it wasn't boot-able but how did you determine it wasn't bootable. You have to tell the bios to boot from the usb; something most default settings won't do. Depending on your mb you have to use f8 or f11 to select boot device or del or f2 to enter the bios and tell it to boot from the usb (this occurs when you first turn the system on before your operating system starts).

MS media creation tool sux. You can't use it to make bootable compilation of system utils, for example hiren's, with it. Also you can't make bootable win7 or win8 installation with it any more (cases where an ancient machine just cannot run win10, but is still good for facebooking and twittering).

Although it's a retarded util designed to force win10 everywhere, you should download MCT and then create win10 .iso file with it. That way you're sure win10 installation is not corrupted or bundled with unwanted "shady" code.
You can burn that .iso at any time as bootable optical media or create a bootable usb with any util capable of making bootables, so feel free to uninstall MCT later.

Turn off secure boot in BIOS and make legacy boot in default. Now it gets blue screen this time, lol

P.S managed to create a bootable disk with this tool without changing anything in BIOS.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom