The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Normally I don't listen to different music while playing games, preferring the OST. I'd just choose thematically similar music. One instance I remember was the game "Anno 1602" aka "1602 A.D.", which had music that was simply too sweet. The Vangelis Soundtrack for the movie "1492" worked very well with that.

I've noticed that with some games, the soundtrack is simply to good... Like Skyrim for instance, say what you want about the game but the soundtrack was amazing! Some games I like to have my own music though, not necessarily because the music is bad, but because there's music out there that's better. But even for those games that have incredible soundtracks, after I've played through it once or twice I like to challenge myself and find good playlists, albums, or even remixes of the original soundtrack. I know its not always possible, but the journey too find the greatest experience is too good to pass up! Plus with music changing and games evolving, its an endless search for awesomeness!

Not a creature of change. Listened to this Chelsea Wolfe album "Apokalypsis " for probably the 20th time this week, it's just on repeat as I work. I do skip the first track of her growling or whatever..

It's one of those kinda short, dark, weird, ambient, noise, cacophany, haunting, grows-on-you-like-fungus type albums that I can just let repeat. Most songs just build and grow to like I said, a strange cacophany. Very little lyrics, a line or three just repeated. Did the song Moses like 10 times in a row itself, she's just pleading, begging, practically weeping halfway thru to the weird disharmony, it's mesmerizing and hauntingly beautiful. And I disliked this album compared to the sequel, but now I love it most of all. Which is fucking glorious, i love it when that happens.

I love you Chelsea, thank you for Apokalypsis

Michael Jackson feat. Guns N' Roses guitarist Slash -- Give In To Me.

One of his best songs, which was, curiously, never released as a single in the U.S.

Last edited:
I'd say that's a fairly detailed and accurate set of sign posts, thrasher. Very interesting stuff. I've been trying to think of anything similar and so far I'm pretty stuck. Most of the stuff that comes to mind covers 3 of your 4 angles, but not all of them. The majority of my thoughts are far more downbeat. Ummm, I've got a couple ideas coming to mind, but I can't put my fingers on them. …. ummm. ….

Pretty thin on the Dire Straits, but
"Roll Down" by Saturna

Ah, I remember!
The Lost Patrol! I don't remember the songs that I liked since that was back in the days when MySpace was actually good. Let's see if I can find something of theirs that's at least close to the tracks I sorta kinda remember.
"On the Run"
"Homecoming"

Less peppy, but still in the neighborhood-
"locust" by Daniel Land and the Modern Painters

Last edited:
So, after all that thinking, I've got a very, very obscure one that popped into my head from the MySpace days, as well as a completely un-obscure one that I can't really explain but always caught my ear.

"The Dark" by Coal

and

I'll let this one be a surprise

Nice. All of them. I hadn't seen that PT performance before. Great song from the past. Those guys on the left were really rocking. :)

BTW, looks like the "The Dark" link is to Locust.

Gah. It was way past my bedtime when I was doing that.
"The Dark" fer reals this time

Pretty sure the PT clip was just the standard MTV video they put out.

OK, I'm ripping some of my old CDs today and came across a toon I thought thrasher might enjoy:
"Layers" by Springhouse
(should score some bonus points with the lyrics, me thinks)

Last edited:
Heard this song on a local international radio station and couldn't get it out of my head:

No Way by singer-songwriter Mariama.

Gah. It was way past my bedtime when I was doing that.
"The Dark" fer reals this time

Pretty sure the PT clip was just the standard MTV video they put out.

OK, I'm ripping some of my old CDs today and came across a toon I thought thrasher might enjoy:
"Layers" by Springhouse
(should score some bonus points with the lyrics, me thinks)

Nice, both. :)

I think I like the second one better, but both are worth the listen. Reminds me of my days in Fort Worth (6 month contract job about a decade ago). Being a diehard Cowboys fan, I spent much of my time listening to the Dallas ESPN Radio station, but I also discovered a station that was playing a lot of house/trance stuff. Not really my usual cup of tea, particularly back then, but the genre grew on me quite a bit. Only ended up buying one CD out of everything I heard, tho:
"Beautiful Things by Andain

I just found a new rock band from England called Amplifier. Not the best band I have listened to, but I like them. Here is one of the songs I like called Matmos.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom