What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

The new Robin Hood film looks like the cinematic abortion of Arrow and Assassin's Creed. Total bullshit. I'm from Nottingham, is it TOO demanding to expect a story set there to use the local accent or have geography that even vaguely resembles reality. In all the different versions over the years I have yet to see this.

Looks bloody awful. Like Michael Bay does Notting-ham.

Looks bloody awful. Like Michael Bay does Notting-ham.
Looks like most Robin Hood movies to me.:biggrin:

Stll remember the failed attempt from a few years ago;

Link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Hood_(2010_film)

Also the TV show wasn't that bad till they completely changed the story. They tried to continue after that but the plot was destroyed, and fans hated the show after it.

RobinHood is killed.
Link- https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0787985/

Anyway my best version was the one from 1991 with Kevin Costner.

Link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Hood:_Prince_of_Thieves

So, I just got back from Infinity War… I have to say I'm pretty unimpressed. Even by the low standards of a Marvel movie, I simply did not care for the plot in any way. Way too many characters all off in their separate corners just filling time while the villain and his 3? 4? henchmen jumped around the universe.

How the hell does this thing have a 9.0 on imdb? Ugh, never trust imdb for teen-magnet movies.

My god do you like anything anymore? All you do on this site is bitch about movies, crpg's, TV shows, music, and everything else. You have gotten miserable in your old age. Guess we need people like you to balance out Fluent. May want to look into taking some happy pills. I'm seriously worried for you.

You didn't seem so crabby a few years ago and I loved your David Bowie avatar.

You want to watch some real (ok, fake but worth watching REAL) Robin Hood, you'll watch Robin of Sherwood. I've never seen anything even close to its equal, and highly unlikely to ever. They got away with showing pretty realistic pagan rituals on television in the mid eighties, lol. My dungeons and dragon squaddies, we used to watch that show religiously.

The new Robin Hood film looks like the cinematic abortion of Arrow and Assassin's Creed. Total bullshit. I'm from Nottingham, is it TOO demanding to expect a story set there to use the local accent or have geography that even vaguely resembles reality. In all the different versions over the years I have yet to see this.

I'm struggling to find the correct words to express my reaction to that… Can't Hollywood ever respect any source material? They pretty much bastardized Robin Hood.

ebb.jpg

Edit: I checked out some twitter reactions. People are really having fun at their expense. Like this one guy who tweeted:

"i hope the new robin hood movie has an aged mentor who says some dumb shit like “tell me boy, do you think an arrow… can change the world?”

Last edited:
My god do you like anything anymore?

Considering I barely post here (or anywhere really) these days, your comment is pretty over the top and out of left field. Enjoy the movie!

P.S. I removed the Bowie avatar following his untimely death.

Anyway my best version was the one from 1991 with Kevin Costner.
Not mine. Explosives, thick black wig, saracens in britain and other silly whatnot? Puhlease. It was a nice comedy though.
IMO the best one is this:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029843

btw, did you know that Olivia de Havilland is still alive? Well, now you do.

Last edited:
You guys forgot this awesome version of Robin Hood.

Not mine. Explosives, thick black wig, saracens in britain and other silly whatnot? Puhlease. It was a nice comedy though.
IMO the best one is this:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029843

btw, did you know that Olivia de Havilland is still alive? Well, now you do.
Not a comedy so try again Joxer.:p

Also that version of Robin Hood is to old for me to enjoy.
You guys forgot this awesome version of Robin Hood.

No one forgets the merry men in tights.:lol:
Merry Men: [singing] We're men / We're men in tights / We roam around the forest looking for fights / We're men / We're men in tights / We rob from the rich and give to the poor / That's right! / We may look like sissies / But watch what you say / Or else we'll put out your lights / We're men / We're men in tights / Always on guard / Defending the people's rights / We're men / Manly men! / We're men in tights / Yes! / We roam around the forest looking for fights / We're men / We're men in tights / We rob from the rich and give to the poor / That's right! / We may look like pansies / But don't get us wrong / Or else we'll put out your lights / We're men / We're men in tights / *Tight tights* / Always on guard / Defending the people's rights / When you're in a fix / Just call for the men in tights / We're butch!

Yeah but at the time of it's release the movie was pure comedy gold.

Nowadays not so much.

I think that is very much age dependent ... critics thought it was very much sub-par, and as an adult I thought it was just further proof that Mel Brook's best days were more than a decade behind him ...

Not a comedy so try again Joxer.:p
A comedy it is.
Also that version of Robin Hood is to old for me to enjoy.
You didn't give it a try.
I'm not sure if it's offered on any stream service nor if it's obtainable on DVD everywhere, that "too old" version is classic you should watch before dying.
just further proof that Mel Brook's best days were more than a decade behind him …
IMO that junk is Brooks' worst film ever.

Another manga2movie, but this time spread across three movies:
Rurouni Kenshin
Rurouni Kenshin: Kyoto Inferno
Rurouni Kenshin: The Legend Ends

The story is about a guy who lost parents, was saved by a master swordsman who tought him skills but the guy abused those later in war, got somehow to his senses and vowed not to kill anyone ever again.
Although the war was over, it gave birth to some new villains that threaten the society and the protagonist has a hard time trying to protect innocents and keep his vow.

Cute actors (IMO), nice props and not bad combat coreography are this trilogy's positives.
But… The script is stiff, humor is stripped away and you'll see just a bit in the first movie, emotions are perceived as black/white and there is no chemistry whatsoever between any of two persons on screen. I didn't believe in any friendship, in any rivalry or any romance there.
On opponents' side a few characters are supposed to be cunning and insane, for some reason none of those actors managed to pull it through, dunno why but all of it felt ridiculous. And sad as you can see an obvious effort, yet the result was less than desirable.
The trilogy ends with rare onscreen party vs boss fight where the boss is not the main character - in hands of a better filmmaker at least this part would be turned into a gem, sadly just as the rest of the trilogy, even this clash ended up as display of mediocrity.

I'm not exaggerating when I say this is one of better live adaptions, but it's only because 99% of others are avoid at all costs garbage. You'll have fun watching the trilogy, but soon after you'll forget everything.
Go for it you don't have anything else to watch or need to pass some time with a group of different tastes. Otherwise, don't bother.

We watched Paddington 2, and I actually really liked it. For what it set out to do, I thought it nailed it.

It features that fantasy vision of Britain, that I suspect is a conspiracy between Hollywood and the British tourist board, and might as well be Narnia, but it works. Brendan Gleeson as the mad Irish chef, and Hugh Grant as the evil ham, were both great value. And, maximum points for the line, "Exit bear, pursued by actor." :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom