Last game you finished, tell us about it

What, controls on PC are again abyssmal?

They've improved controls this time... there is still noticeable lag, but nothing too obtrusive.
Bigger problem is camera, physics, AI, animations, sound design, UI, etc.

Finished Final Fantasy 13. Took around 40 hours, didn't really bother grinding (you could spend infinite amount of time in Grand Pulse to farm CP to train all the classes on each characters).

I really liked the game, I suppose all the bad fan rating for it is more because it's not what people expected than anything else. I had no expectations, so I am pleased. I'm rather impressed by the translation too. I'm used to barely making sense Japanese translation and bad voice over. Ali Hillis is now Lightning to me, I won't be able to unsee Lighting now when re-playing Mass Effect or those few characters in SWTOR. lol

Like I said in the "currently playing" thread. I really like the paradigm switching system and fights are not too long or too short (except maybe that Ortotoises when you have under 6k health, meh). Also, while the game use a save point approach it's really only to leave the game: fights can be retried (or check back later) after failure without the need to run back to them and deal with all the respawns.

It plays very well on keyboard(well G13 in my case)/mouse and my PC. I really don't get all those "bad port" comment I've seen all over Steam. The only little thing is that I had to disable the "HID compliant game controller" to solve a spinning camera issue.

Now off to Shadow of Mordor.

Had time to have a real binge over the last week and completed XCOM: Enemy Within. Not an RPG per se but still a high quality game if you're after a change of pace. Recommended.

Now browsing my vast backlog trying to decide what to turn to next.

Finished The Quest last night, a really decent game. Two of my friends told me after I bought it that it was a game made for phones, which I hardly find possible. It plays like an old Might and Magic game, save that you only play one character and not a group. Apparently there are lots of expansions to follow so I'll be playing some more of this when they are released.

Finished The Quest last night, a really decent game. Two of my friends told me after I bought it that it was a game made for phones, which I hardly find possible. It plays like an old Might and Magic game, save that you only play one character and not a group. Apparently there are lots of expansions to follow so I'll be playing some more of this when they are released.

Looks good - even has weather effects - now in my steam queue
thanks for the heads up

Last edited:
Finished Lost Odyssey last week. Great JRPG, very well crafted, good story, fun turn based combat.

First 3 discs are superb, but it becomes a bit of a chore towards the end, and the optional quests are a bit lame and laborious. 8.5/10

Is there a review thread on The Watch? I'm viewing via an app, and I've not been able to locate one.

I finished replaying Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic yesterday ... and it made me wonder how long it had been since I'd done a complete run-through. What a really excellent game with a well paced narrative and loads of options throughout.

It is funny that I have fully replayed a bunch of games in the last few years, but many I have just partially replayed - and KotOR is one that I have played on PC, Mac, Android and iOS - but can't honestly tell you the last time I even got off of Dantooine.

I was reminded how by the end of the game you are massively overpowered, such that the waves of enemies you face near the end are not much of a challenge and you likely level-maxed well before that. I made a couple of silly mistakes that cost me a quest completion or two (failing to collect my quest reward before things got hostile on Kashyyyk and the unknown world), but otherwise pretty much got through everyone's stories and the romance and so on.

Finished Final Fantasy XIII-2. The first half is rather boring and uninteresting and the way monsters encounter spawn is super annoying (aka out of thing air). It also had an original way of linking map re-use to the storyline…but it is still map re-use.

Speaking of the storyline, it basically keep you in the dark for over half the game. In other word, you spend like 20 hours not knowing really what is going on, but once you do it start to get interesting. People who don't like puzzles should avoid the game. There are a lot of them and some are on the critical path. People who don't like QTE should avoid the game too, or maybe not, I missed most of them and it didn't make me game over.

I did like the "pet" system though. My favorite was a behemoth (a Narasimha) that I called Furball. I got him on the first of that kind I killed, but apparently it's a rare drop.

I think I might I liked FF XIII more in term of presentation/progression, but now I want to see how it ends...but I won't have the time to finish Lighting Returns before Dragon's Dogma is out.

I finished replaying Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic yesterday … and it made me wonder how long it had been since I'd done a complete run-through. What a really excellent game with a well paced narrative and loads of options throughout.

It is funny that I have fully replayed a bunch of games in the last few years, but many I have just partially replayed - and KotOR is one that I have played on PC, Mac, Android and iOS - but can't honestly tell you the last time I even got off of Dantooine.

I was reminded how by the end of the game you are massively overpowered, such that the waves of enemies you face near the end are not much of a challenge and you likely level-maxed well before that. I made a couple of silly mistakes that cost me a quest completion or two (failing to collect my quest reward before things got hostile on Kashyyyk and the unknown world), but otherwise pretty much got through everyone's stories and the romance and so on.

Did you use the unofficial restoration patch? And if so, would you recommend using it?

Did you use the unofficial restoration patch? And if so, would you recommend using it?

No - I always play games 'vanilla' ... a holdover from years of doing gam reviews. Just weird that way.

I just wrapped up VtM: Bloodlines. Been meaning to play this for years but finally picked it up on Steam sale this year. Played with unofficial patch 9.4 with no extras a.k.a. base patch.

Wow. I had a great time with this game and really regret not playing it sooner.

I played through as a Gangrel and maxed STR, Unarmed, Dodge, Fortitude and Protean. with little spent elsewhere. CthulXiao (Ming Xiao) boss was the hardest for me.

I can see what I've read is true where folks lament the last part of the game as devolving into nothing but combat but, man, the bulk of this game was *really* good.

I think my favorite level was the crazy mansion that reminded me an awful lot of the "similar" level from the original Thief game.

I ended up with the ending where you kill both "bosses" and the anarch dude is chatting with the corpse from the coffin as the "taxi" driver says some stuff while you are walking away from the rubble.

Just a darned good game in my opinion, time well spent.

Finished Final Fantasy XIII-2. The first half is rather boring and uninteresting and the way monsters encounter spawn is super annoying (aka out of thing air). It also had an original way of linking map re-use to the storyline…but it is still map re-use.

Speaking of the storyline, it basically keep you in the dark for over half the game. In other word, you spend like 20 hours not knowing really what is going on, but once you do it start to get interesting. People who don't like puzzles should avoid the game. There are a lot of them and some are on the critical path. People who don't like QTE should avoid the game too, or maybe not, I missed most of them and it didn't make me game over.

I did like the "pet" system though. My favorite was a behemoth (a Narasimha) that I called Furball. I got him on the first of that kind I killed, but apparently it's a rare drop.

I think I might I liked FF XIII more in term of presentation/progression, but now I want to see how it ends...but I won't have the time to finish Lighting Returns before Dragon's Dogma is out.

I started playing it last night and had to turn it off because of the awful, button mashing battle system. :(

I started playing it last night and had to turn it off because of the awful, button mashing battle system. :(

And if you think that one is a button smasher, the next game (FFXV) is actually declared as an action RPG. Guess stopping and thinking on what action to do is too much for the new generation of players.

Isn't it supposed to be another MMO like FF14?

Button mashing battle system? The combat is active-time turn based, I guess you are talking about the QTE? These are limited to a few boss fight you face early on and at the end. On easy you can fail them without losing (well looks like it, how must have failed 80% of them).

Button mashing battle system? The combat is active-time turn based, I guess you are talking about the QTE? These are limited to a few boss fight you face early on and at the end. On easy you can fail them without losing (well looks like it, how must have failed 80% of them).

I meant the ATB auto battle system. All you do is just keep pressing the button whilst the computer does everything for you. Really killed any interest I had to go any further unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom