Queen's Wish: The Conqueror - Vogel Kickstarter

Very disappointed about the engine - I hate this perspective. For me this is a downgrade, no texture quality can fix this perspective.
But because I'm really liking his previous games, I'm backing the minimum.

OK, kinda disappointed it's the same engine, even with not expecting that much in this regard. But, new art assets would be more than cool to make the game seem different and the general pitch sounds pretty good.

Why does this need a Kickstarter? Spiderweb Games has been releasing games for ages and it looks like they're using a lot of the same stuff as their previous games.

Because KS bring comfort. Way better to developp on others' money than on your own.
Got awarded one year, two years of work all paid in advance.
Deliver anything and it goes.
No worries about sales, it is pre sold.

Yep, looks like super-early alpha. To be honest I was a bit disappointed of what I saw. Didn't look like anything changed.

It will make its KS and I will buy it anyway, so...

LOL, his games still look like crap. I love this guy. Hope he's successful in the Kickstarter.

Guys, the 'living legend' thing was clearly an attempt at a joke :) Give the guy a break!

[At the Codex we called him a 'living legend' in an article some years ago, but I cannot remember if the term originated at our site ;), and I don't think he'd make such a hermetic joke at the beginning of his video if he was only called like that at the Codex.]

Then again, I don't see the new engine, and the newish character graphics seem, to me, to be worse than the previous ones. I also don't need town building in my RPGs. Kinda on the fence regarding this one. No real selling point for a Spiderweb Software fan like me, apart from 'it will probably be just like all SS games', which, eh, may be just enough ;)

Then again, I don't see the new engine, and the newish character graphics seem, to me, to be worse than the previous ones. I also don't need town building in my RPGs. Kinda on the fence regarding this one. No real selling point for a Spiderweb Software fan like me, apart from 'it will probably be just like all SS games', which, eh, may be just enough ;)

Yep, I am completely with you there. Just that from the footage shown it actually looks worse. I'll first wait and see if he pushes any good kickstarter updates.

This KS looks rather bare bone.

Looks like the campaign solely is for creating buzz and thus increasing his customer base. To catch me he would have needed some kind of innovation especially in visuals.

It's already 82% backed. Lets see if it hits 100% on day 1.

I suspect it will be fully funded by the time I have supper. The low goal is confusing to me, unless they plan on doing this for every game in the future, and just raising the bar for each event.

Looks like the campaign solely is for creating buzz and thus increasing his customer base.
Kickstarter takes a much smaller % of sales $ than Steam does, not to mention that the avg pledge so far is $62.35. So he's making a hell of a lot of extra money by doing it this way instead of just waiting till it's done and selling on Steam. If he sold on Steam at his usual price he'd get $14 per copy on Steam, and so far, roughly $56 per copy on Kickstarter. Literally 4X per copy isn't a bad deal. Good for him.

SOJ (same old jeff).

Same old engine -- same old story -- same old graphic -- same old everything. The guy is a living legend, that's right... a legend of the same old boring shit he sells to the same old customers.

I suspect it will be fully funded by the time I have supper. The low goal is confusing to me, unless they plan on doing this for every game in the future, and just raising the bar for each event.

Well, history shows that he's a good businessman, and part of the key to that has been not overstretching himself and being very conservative. He reuse of resources and the large number of sequels and remakes show that. He probably thought he'd rather have a successful Kickstarter than asking for too much and not making anything.

and not making anything.
Let's be real tho, he would have made and sold this game with or without the Kickstarter. KS is just giving him a ton of extra money on each sale, and in advance. As you said, wise business.

The goal is $30k and the only two stretch goals are at $50k and $75k but don't seem to really add much to the game for $25k each. An iPhone port? I couldn't care less about that. Another nation that sounds like it's basically the same region as the underworld from Avernum. Would think he'd have had enough of underground nations after however many Avernum games, but apparently not. Probably gonna be passing on this game even after it comes out.

This is me, almost exactly.

Also, I think this perspective is a massive downgrade from iso.

Feels a little mean to say I'm disappointed, I'll certainly own this some day, but the old joke about kickstarter just being pre-sales marketing seems uncomfortably close to the truth here. Where's the risk? Why did this need to be "kick" started?

Looks like it's going to fund easily, good for him, but still feels like a missed opportunity.

Very disappointed about the engine - I hate this perspective. For me this is a downgrade, no texture quality can fix this perspective.
But because I'm really liking his previous games, I'm backing the minimum.

I had thought I'd throw down my money for this the instant it went live on Kickstarter. But the perspective really is a killer for me. I always hated it in JRPGS and loathed it more in the few western ones that copied it in the 90s. It just feels so flat and seems to lack the depth to make it attractive to explore for me. I think I only started to be interested in Jeff's games when he turned it by 45 degrees with the first Avernum.

At the very least, take a hint from the Ultimas, Jeff! Will pledge a minimum just to get the updates. Who knows, maybe the optimists here have got it right...

Yes, underwhelmed. Will watch and wait.

Back
Top Bottom