Bard's Tale IV - Alpha Test Wednesday

"You are in for such a treat with the soundtrack..."

Translation: the game sucks, obviously, since we developed it.... but wait, the soundtrack is such a treat....

Signed: Brain Fargo, snake oil seller

Let me go over my impression of InXile's efforts so far.

Torment: Tides of Numenera was somewhat disappointing but at least they made some interesting mistakes and the story (whilst disconnected) was still interesting.

Wasteland 2 was better but also made some interesting mistakes. Not enough to overwhelm the design through but notable. I haven't felt burnt by this company. They endeavoured and came up short in some ways but at least these games are still entertaining in their own way.

I still think InXile will deliver with either Bard's Tale IV or Wasteland 3 their breakout hit. You need to work on a number of RPGs as a developer before you start really putting things together and I think that is true for these guys.

I loved Torment. Felt it was basically PS:T 2 but in a weird sci-fi setting. Loved it.

Wasteland 2 was good. I need to play it more than 20-25 hours. I think InXile makes the most old-school type of CRPGs from the Kickstarter devs. I'm a fan. Bard's Tale IV is one of my most anticipated RPGs. It will be interesting to see what they come up with for a modern dungeon crawler.

I thought Torment was quite good, I've only played it once to date but I know I'll replay it again someday.

Wasteland two was exceptional, I've played that one through twice and know I'll be doing it again.

I've waited I dunno, thirty years for Bard's Tale four? At least it feels that long, seems like it was in the late eighties that the third one was released. I won't be spoiling my appetite by having the fourth game as an appetizer, I'm going to wait until the whole kitchen staff proclaims it finished and then I'm diving head-first into a gourmet meal.

Mildly interested but I'd much rather have new Alternate Reality games than a Bard's Tale. Calling Philip Price where are you.

Back
Top Bottom