Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Linux

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Mac

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Something else

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters
DOS->Win 3.11->Win95->Win98->Win98SE->WinME->Win2k->WinXp->WinVista->Win7->Win10->Win7

WinME was a special case, BSODed directly after installation, crashed all day all night. But well, hardware was a bigger problem back in the olde days… ME was very sensitive.
WinVista was annoying at first, but was pretty OK in the end.
Win10 gave me serious unsolvable Update loops and start menu problems (unresponsive) - was some deep stuff, I got sick of it and returned to Win7. Now I am too lazy to install Win10 again (always do it from the ground up).

Have never seen any of the BSDs in a corporate environment. Where is it used? Typically, beside Windows AD, more or less well known Linux distributions are used.

I wonder shy one should use e.g. FreeBSD on a private Computer. Maybe some people don't do more than OS+Windowmanager+Mail/Browser/Text Editing…

Back in the day we used them for SBC packet filters / VPN / gateway devices and web servers. That has been many moons however.

If I remember well Win2K isn't coming from the same branch but from Windows NT, and Windows XP is the first version of this branch targeting the family non pro market. I suppose all later versions come from this NT branch. I never enjoyed MS OS works, garbage, weird designs, ugly, but I never used an OS as stable and solid than Win2K. I don't know how long I use XP, but it's certainly close third after the rip MacOS and OSX, I mean for personal use.

For BSD as I'm using a Mac for sure I use it, but it's very transparent, any Linux is trash in comparison. But obviously without OSX, any BSD would be even more trash. The curse of Linux is to have so many distribution, it's a garbage.

Windows 10 is trash but I wonder how so many people could still use Win7, I thought it hadn't any security patch.

I still get occasional patch updates for my windows seven. They don't happen as often as they used to, but I still get them now and then. I dread the day that I have to actually convert over to windows ten, it will be like a plague that I simply cannot avoid. xxx

Yes, Windows 2000 was the next NT. A bunch of people bought it assuming it was a home operating system and were very confused. Windows Me was rushed out as the home upgrade to Windows 98. Windows XP eventually merged the professional and home products.

I liked Windows 7, but I took the free upgrade when it was offered because I knew that Windows 7 support would end eventually.

My one complaint about Windows 10, and it's only one complaint, but it's a big one, is that every update breaks something. Microsoft can't leave well enough alone. Every update changes how my drawing pad works, or crashes some critical piece of legacy software that I rely on. I wish that the long-term stability branch were available more widely. Microsoft gives you a functional version of Windows, and then gives you only security patches for 10 years.

Windows 10 is trash but I wonder how so many people could still use Win7, I thought it hadn't any security patch.
Win7 is still supported until January 2020. After that it won't get anymore patches, security or otherwise. Developers who haven't already dropped support for it will likely also drop support for it around that time. It's still largely viable, but not beyond this year. Win8.1 is supported until Jan 2023, so people who harbor irrational Win10 fears do have an option.

The biggest problem with running Win7 (and to a lesser extent even Win8.1) today is hardware support, most new hardware requires Win10.

Also, I'd like to point out that it says something about RPG Watch when Linux gamers outnumber Xbox gamers 3:1.

Maybe, but it doesn't seem that odd to me. Almost anyone who is really into rpgs in a big way, is likely to have a personal computer, since there's such a vast quantity of crpgs that would require that and that computer would most likely represent their primary gaming machine.

However, anyone choosing "Linux" is not necessarily restricted to only using that OS on their computer. It's merely a statement that linux is the "primary" means of gaming, they may also own an xbox and have a "Windows 10" partition on their hd as well.

Back
Top Bottom