Dragon Age: Inquisition - PC Specs, Hands-on and Screenshots

aries100

SasqWatch
Bioware has revealed the pc specs for DA: Inquisition. EA's Origin has the news:

Recommended:
CPU: AMD six core CPU @ 3.2 GHz, Intel quad core CPU @ 3.0 GHz
System RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7870 or R9 270, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
Graphics Memory: 3 GB
Hard Drive: 26 GB
DirectX 11
Or, if you're playing on a slightly older setup, here are the minimum system requirements:
Minimum:
CPU: AMD quad core CPU @ 2.5 GHz, Intel quad core CPU @ 2.0 GHz
System RAM: 4 GB
Graphics CARD: AMD Radeon HD 4870, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Graphics Memory: 512 MB
Hard Drive: 26 GB
DirectX 10
You can view the official announcement from Bioware here.

At EA's Origin you can also view some new screenshots from the PC edition of the
game as well as read about their PC hands-on experience:

We recently got a hands-on look at the PC version of Dragon Age: Inquisition to get a sense of everything it has to offer. And because BioWare is a developer whose roots are in PC gaming, you can bet this version of Inquisition is the real deal. It's fine-tuned for excellent mouse and keyboard play; it's got dozens of visual and interface options to tweak; and, of course, it's got 4K resolution and AMD Mantle support for the hardcore rig-building crowd. In fact, we've teamed up with BioWare to reveal the very first screenshots of the PC version, along with its HUD and system requirements, all of which you'll find below. But first, let's talk about how the game plays on PC. During our time in The Hinterlands, we had a nasty run-in with some demons of the Fade. Using the WASD keys for movement, we charged our maul-wielding warrior into the fray, activated one of his abilities via the sleek PC action bar and smashed an enemy square in the face, incapacitating it for a short time.
Hrungr has made a thread about this at the DA: Inquisition forums.

More information.

Is this the first PC game to "recommend" 8GB RAM? Also, I see that a 64-bit OS is the "minimum" requirement. So 32-bit OSes can no longer even play the game? First AAA game to not support WinXP?

Figured this was coming very soon, though, now that the new consoles have 8GB RAM or whatever.

First AAA game to not support WinXP?

Nope. Landmark, from SOE, is 64bits-only since its alpha started last February. Watchdog is 64bits only too and it also recommended 8GB of RAM for the PC, it released this summer. Expect 32bits games to be practically phased-out by next year.

Nope. Landmark, from SOE, is 64bits-only since its alpha started last February. Watchdog is 64bits only too and it also recommended 8GB of RAM for the PC, it released this summer. Expect 32bits games to be practically phased-out by next year.
Not sure Landmark counts since it isn't even out yet…but yeah, didn't know about Watchdogs.

Seems like a lot of developers have wasted a lot of time in the last year or two getting things to still run properly on 32-bit - it was a big issue with M&M X, D:OS, and Wasteland 2. It's even been a thing with WoW in recent years. Dropping support for it entirely should free up some amount of programmers' time for actual useful things.

It was not too long ago that they were recommending not to bother adding 16 Gb of RAM to your system because it would be a waste.

16Gb would be a waste, not 8Gb.

Hum, my PC specs are a bit lower than the recommended option
My are higher, weeeeeeeeee

But I still didn't decide to buy or not to buy the game.

Interestingly GPU requirement for the game is way much lower when it compares to CPU. I recently upgraded my card to Geforce 650ti boost. But still I have a Core2Duo CPU. I will try my luck with the game. Shadow of Mordor also wants quad core, but my comp can run it well. On the contrary new Thief game wanted a dual core CPU as minimum, but due to an optimization problem it runs like crap on a C2D. It's all about optimization.

I don't see exactly what about this game would need it to use up to 8gb of ram.

Looks like this is where I'm forced to upgrade my 1gb graphics card to a 3gb...

dai_101014_waterfall_small.jpg

kind of an MMOesque interface...

Regardless, the peer reviews for this game will have to be out of this world for me to support not only Origin but the new Bioware.

Thanks for the update, Couch! Looks like the combat scenario decribed really required some group tactics rather then just spell spamming, so that makes me a happy non-camper. :)

When I get a new computer, I will be forced to get windows 7. Which I'm not happy about. I'm one of those weirdos who likes win vista and have used it for many years now, but it seems like modern games are now requiring win 7. I'm not interested in this game in particular, but it shows a pattern. The newish Wolfenstein FPS, which is supposed to be pretty good, also requires win 7. Sigh.

No, it's not about "optimization". People keep trying to pull that out as an excuse with no evidence whatsoever. There's a new generation of consoles out and guess what? They ARE actually kinda beefy, especially in the memory department. Having a faster CPU and a faster GPU is great but, if the game needs a hunk of memory and you haven't got it, then you've got a problem.

Why would it need more memory? Big, detailed, open world. That means more stuff in memory at the same time. All those tiny console levels are finally going away!

P.S. Windows 10 if you can wait a year, Arkadia!

Even if you buy the optimization argument, the fact is optimization requires a lot of programming time and also a fair amount of programming expertise. It's a lot easier to just require more RAM and spend your programming time in more interesting areas. Once 32-bit support is dropped, the floodgates are open.

Back
Top Bottom