Pillars of Eternity II - Review @ Niche Gamer

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Niche Gamer reviewed Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire:

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Review – A Swashbuckling Late 90s RPG

In keeping with this era’s current gaming climate, 2015’s Pillars of Eternity ended up being quite the polarizing CRPG. Sure, daring to be the next Baldur’s Gate or Icewind Dale is already enough to earn a fair amount of derision amongst the genre’s diehards, but after the poor handling of the tombstone controversy and refusal to address some of the title’s obvious balancing issues concerning enemy movement and engagement (How many times did your Aloth die?), it fell far short of the mark Obsidian had set for it and was overshadowed by other more polished entries such as The Witcher 3 and Divinity: Original Sin.

Regardless of how the game is viewed by a large portion of the community, I still found it to be an enjoyable CRPG that allowed for an impressive level of replayability thanks to its deep mechanics and remarkable receptiveness towards theory-crafting as well as it giving me the option to create my own handmade party. It was a D&D munchkin’s dream game, complete with overflowing chests of laughably powerful loot and ridiculously over-leveled nonobligatory boss battles. After four trips and 300 hours, I still found myself entertained with what that simple kickstarter RPG had to offer.

[...]

Regardless, Pillars of Eternity 2 is an excellent CRPG that improves upon the original in every single aspect, as well as creating the best naval combat minigame in the history of gaming. Combine that with the huge world, 100 hour quest, supreme non-linearity, and immense replay value afforded by the deep character creation and you have the one game you shouldn’t be allowed to miss this year.

Unless you’re hoping to have your female main hero get drilled by a handsome, straight man.

The Verdict: 9.5
More information.

If character creation is your thing, you should buy Sims 3 (or 4).
I had more fun creating a character in ancient stuff like Drakensang games than in Eternity 2.

Anyway it's yet another "almost masterpiece" review and I have to object again. No. It's a good game, so much better than overhyped and overrated mediocrity like GTA5. How good exactly it is I can't say as I didn't finish it yet. But there are so many (tiny little) things that are getting on my nerves, it'd probably take me more hours than CT's character to number them all.
I'm not talking about bugs. In fact, the game doesn't have many bugs which is somewhat unexpected from Obsidian - maybe that's the reason behind reviewers showering it with 8-10/10.

If character creation is your thing, you should buy Sims 3 (or 4).

I have pretty much every Sims 3 expansion & content pack, and not because I liked playing the Sims-- it's because I became obsessed with building stuff and designing interiors. Other than XCOM, no other game has milked more of my time... Haven't tried Sims 4 as I hear it's a shallow husk of Sims 3.

seriously a really good game. so far the graphics are stunning, very stunning, no big hiccups in the AI, and I like to play a game through on an easier mode first and POE2 has a perfect balance where I haven't had to restart after every encounter. The dialog is very crisp and poignant so the game flow is very clean/unhindered. POE2 has been a lot easier to get into than POE1. Extremely happy playing it.

Back
Top Bottom