BattleTech - State of the Game Update

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A new update for Battletech discusses the state of the game.

State-of-the-Game Update

Happy New Year Everyone!

We’re excited to report that the team hit their end-of-the-year goals and are on track for a great launch this year. While we don’t have a release date to announce yet, we definitely feel good about the state the game is in.

It’s an amazing feeling to have all the pieces in place and to finally play the game we imagined over two years ago! During the week between Christmas and New Years, we took a step back to review our progress and look for areas that need more attention and now we’re back in the thick of it, fixing bugs, balancing the game, PLAYING the game, and taking action to improve the experience day-by-day.

By and large, BATTLETECH is surprisingly close to the vision we originally pitched in the Kickstarter in September 2015. As anyone who’s made a video game can tell you, it’s incredibly rare to finish a game with all the features you envisioned when you start making it. So while we’re surprisingly close, we’re not perfect.

With release in sight in the next few months, we want to tell you about a few features that were part of our Kickstarter Campaign, but need to be delivered post-launch in order to focus development and testing as we move towards release.

• Linux support
  • Legendary 'Mechs and MechWarriors
  • Ability to play different types of missions in Skirmish mode (The campaign itself still has plenty of mission types though.)
  • Some Valhalla-tier reward items (specifics TBD)
  • Famous character cameos in the campaign (a Social Mission Bonus from the Kickstarter Campaign.)
  • Famous AI Lances in Skirmish mode (another Social Mission Bonus from the Kickstarter Campaign.)
Rest assured that we are still committed to delivering these features after the game’s initial launch and at no additional charge to Backers.

One other change - instead of a multiplayer experience focused around competitive tournaments & leagues, we've opted for a more friend-focused model of multiplayer functionality. Players can invite each other to matches via Steam/GoG, create private games, and browse public games from the lobby.

Because of this change in direction, we also won’t be delivering a Solaris-themed multiplayer experience at launch. Instead, the game will ship with a diverse set of multiplayer maps across all the game’s biomes to battle on. We recognize that Solaris VII is a great setting for BattleTech experiences, and in success, we still hope to explore different ways to bring Solaris VII to life.

And finally, a feature that wasn’t a Kickstarter commitment but that we talked about online a bunch is Ironman Mode. Unfortunately, that won’t make it in for launch but we’d love to add it later.

Mech_Con 2017

Before we go, we want to thank everyone who came out to Mech_Con 2017 last month. We had a blast hanging out with everyone and hope you did, too. There’s really nothing more invigorating for us than meeting you face-to-face and sharing our mutual excitement for BATTLETECH.

The highlight of the evening for us was watching Jordan & Mitch go head-to-head in an epic (though tactically challenged) Battle of the Gray Beards™ with McCain doing color commentary. The two combatants fought a Trial of Honor with the loser kneeling before the winner and pledging to be his Bondsman for one horrible week. You can check out the duel between Jordan and Mitch at this link around the 5:56 mark.

Okay, back to the grindstone. We’re starting back up our Livestreaming Dev Q&As on Wednesday, February 14th hosted by our friends at No Guts No Galaxy. See you then!

See you then! -- HBS
More information.

•Famous character cameos in the campaign (a Social Mission Bonus from the Kickstarter Campaign.)
That one surprised me. It doesn't seem like something that would take any real time to do.

That one surprised me. It doesn't seem like something that would take any real time to do.

I guess to make it meaningful it takes some thinking.

Most important for me is a good singleplayer campaign. They can add other bits and multiplayer later.

BattleTech looks like it'll deliver on its promise, judging from its beta versions. Hope that's true for the final product.

Awww man! You should have tried tabletop version with all the little models and your opinion would be different.

Amongst the Most Unanticipated UnGames for me. RidiCuleWare.

Careful there mercy you are in danger of becoming the luj of Battletech :lol:

It doesn't look like any of those list items majorly impact the single player campaign, which is all I really care about anyways.

Another UgoIgo product that went heavy on animations. As if they were needed.

I don't know if, in your opinion, UgoIgo translates automatically into "bad game".
But in my opinion, the game looks really promising.

I don't know if, in your opinion, UgoIgo translates automatically into "bad game".

No. It simply is that UgoIgo does not lend itself to lavish animations. Contrary to RT, for which animation is mandatory, UgoIgo can do without any animation.

Yet, these days, while failing to add to the UgoIgo gameplay, devs have kept piling on more and more lavish animations, that overdo it and also destroy the credibility of the sequence.

It is somehow hard to materialize what happens during a turn as very often, a turn represents an in between.

When used in board games, the piecing of sequences together is left to imagination, a player's mind can make a comprehensive sequence out of several turns.

Assigning an animation to each turn, especially lavish animations, work against it.

I played Zork in 1985 and used my imagination for animations, it is 2018 now though so yes please give me animations even in turn based combat.

2018 changed nothing.
UgoIgo compatibility to animation remains the same.

All these animations eat on the space for imagination and they give a non credible turn to the combat resolution.

Back
Top Bottom