Sekiro - Gameplay Impressions

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice gameplay impressions from Siliconera.

The gameplay starts off with the main character standing on a tree trunk. Using his grappling hook hidden in his arm, he swings over to a rooftop, and slowly approaches the line of enemy samurai below. Finding a straggler, he leaps down to perform a jumping stealth kill, but is discovered afterward by one of the others.

One thing surprising to note is how much of a stealth element there is in the game, which wasn’t highlighted much in the reveal trailer. Apart from stalking enemies from above, the main character can do stealth kills from a higher area, or by killing an enemy on the ledge just above him. It felt something out of an Assassin’s Creed game.
[...]

More information.

Hmmm. I like Dark Souls enough to be interested in whatever FromSoftware are working on and it looks nice enough I guess, but I can't say I'm massively excited about what I read about it.

Hmmm. I like Dark Souls enough to be interested in whatever FromSoftware are working on and it looks nice enough I guess, but I can't say I'm massively excited about what I read about it.
Well, It's good they try new things, I guess, but I'm not excited either.

Yeah I'm hoping they prove me wrong. Maybe the grappling hook will end up being pretty cool, and the setting sounds interesting enough.

A good-looking action-platformer. I would've harped on whether it counted as an RPG but so games incorporate "roll" (leveling up, ability modifications, etc) playing elements I guess this is no different for the purposes of conflation and therefore inclusion @ RPGW...

yeah, this is not an RPG. Even FromSoft calls it an action adventure game.

There's no classes, no stats, no souls (experience of any kind), no Armor or weapons to collect or craft and no leveling or character creation. There's just a prosthetic arm to attach stuff to.

They've somehow made a game that's even more about combat than DS.

It may turn out to be a good game yet, I don't know.

I do know that it will be no DS though and I'm wondering where to turn to get my DS fix.

Thanks Sakichop, I wasn't aware of those design choices. I have to admit, my interest in this game has now dropped to pretty much nil.

I guess I need to get a PS4 and Bloodborne for another DS-type fix…

Thanks Sakichop, I wasn't aware of those design choices. I have to admit, my interest in this game has now dropped to pretty much nil.

I guess I need to get a PS4 and Bloodborne for another DS-type fix…

Wish I had that option. Already platinumed Bloodborne. If you like DS you should Really enjoy Bloodborne. Combats a bit faster and it's a different setting but it still captures that DS atmosphere and feel IMO.

Nioh is a pretty good action-RPG that has some similarities to Dark Souls and Bloodborne, so that's something you could check out if you have a PS4 or good enough PC.

Nioh is a pretty good action-RPG that has some similarities to Dark Souls and Bloodborne, so that's something you could check out if you have a PS4 or good enough PC.

Been there, played that.

It was pretty good but ultimately I didn’t enjoy it as much as souls games and ran out of steam and never finished it.

The gameplay mechanics were pretty solid but being divided into missions and the diablo style loot were turn offs.

I might try the surge but I’m rarely able to get into sci-fi settings.

I’m holding out hope for ashen and lords of the fallen 2. Even though I have no idea what to expect from lotf2 since it has new developers.

Back
Top Bottom