|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?

Default What games are you playing now?

November 11th, 2018, 13:47
Is wolfenstein ii worth playing? The reviews were damning - so i ask… I liked the three previous ones….

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

November 11th, 2018, 14:09
Originally Posted by you View Post
Is wolfenstein ii worth playing? The reviews were damning - so i ask… I liked the three previous ones….
It plays just like the first game and not the spinoff expansion. So if you enjoyed playing Wolfenstein then Wolfenstein II is the same just with a different story line.

You actually start right after the ending of Wolfenstein. Also like the first game you have to play it twice to see both different timelines based on who you saved.
--
"Praise be to the gaming gods and their holy avatar CD Projekt" - Couchpotato

Check out my RPG News Thread usually updated daily.
Last edited by Couchpotato; November 13th, 2018 at 00:47.

Couchpotato

CD Projekt Fanboy

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
+1:

November 13th, 2018, 00:18
1. Just finished Mr. Shifty. Heavily inspired by hotline miami, it is about… well, just crazy teleporting and twitch gameplay with no real story. Never played hotline miami but I was always interested to so and so Mr. Shifty filled that gap. At first I thought it was going to be a little too bland, but it quickly ramps up with some interesting gameplay: mines you can pickup and throw around, catch grenades and throw them back, etc, for total carnage. It gets insane. Recommended if you are short on adrenaline (game is very short too, like one night short)

2. Playing Alwa' s awakening. I never understood the fascination with 8- or 16-bit games these days. It has simple combat, 8-bit music that gets repetitive very quickly, but it is still okay.

Those two games just show that I have explored most of the origin vault. Normally I would not have played them as I try to be really picky to keep the backlog tiny.

Lately I have been in the mood for metroidvania games and I already played quite some of them but I crave more depth in those games. So I was wondering, what are the better RPG metroidvania's? I would say most lack good NPC interaction, don't have a decent character progression, and are just a little too action focussed.

First one that comes to mind is Salt and sanctuary because of the more detailed character system (e.g., has attributes). And Yoku’s Island Express for a more puzzle-like metroidvania, or steamworld dig. I know, I know, are those metroidvanias? At least the internet thinks so, they also include rogue legacy and the likes. Maybe I should broaden it up to 2D RPGs, either side-scrolling or topdown.

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

November 13th, 2018, 21:18
Originally Posted by ilm View Post
Lately I have been in the mood for metroidvania games and I already played quite some of them but I crave more depth in those games. So I was wondering, what are the better RPG metroidvania's? I would say most lack good NPC interaction, don't have a decent character progression, and are just a little too action focussed.

First one that comes to mind is Salt and sanctuary because of the more detailed character system (e.g., has attributes). And Yoku’s Island Express for a more puzzle-like metroidvania, or steamworld dig. I know, I know, are those metroidvanias? At least the internet thinks so, they also include rogue legacy and the likes. Maybe I should broaden it up to 2D RPGs, either side-scrolling or topdown.
Check out Hyper Light Drifter. That's one of the better metroidvanias I've played lately. It's very action oriented though and quite challenging. Axiom Verge is an old-school 2D metroidvania that's great if you want a very Metroid-like throwback title. Also check out Song of the Deep.

Steamworld Dig is a decent game, but I'm not sure I'd call it a metroidvania.

If you like horror at all, try Alien: Isolation. Though it's labled as a survival-horror game, the level design is 100% metroidvania.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

November 14th, 2018, 15:04
Still playing DOS-2; reached Arx. Not in arx yet but they added about 6 hours of stuff just outside arx. Well not really 6 hours but a couple of massive fights. Well one massive fight and one more amusing encounter which I won't describe. Actually there were 2 massive fights and one amusing enouncter. yea i got right that time. That first optional fight well you have to be well - avoid the fog !

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

November 15th, 2018, 16:04
I've been playing Disgaea Five for the computer maybe two weeks now, on and off. I haven't made it very far, my main class people are only like level ten through twelve, I'm still learning some of the mechanics. In many ways this game seems quite different from the other two that I've played in the series, and I'm trying not to mess up along the way.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

November 15th, 2018, 21:53
Is it fun? Does it have good kb/m controls? Any feedback beyond you are playing it for other potential buyers ?

Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I've been playing Disgaea Five for the computer maybe two weeks now, on and off. I haven't made it very far, my main class people are only like level ten through twelve, I'm still learning some of the mechanics. In many ways this game seems quite different from the other two that I've played in the series, and I'm trying not to mess up along the way.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

November 15th, 2018, 23:03
I play using both keyboard/mouse and a controller, and each works just fine. It is fun, I enjoy it while playing, but always wonder if I'm doing things right or forgetting something along the way, as there seems to be a lot going on in this current iteration versus the first two games. Maybe the third and fourth games had some of the new stuff in them, but since I didn't play either much of the new content is new and startling.

I can say this much, in maybe fifteen hours of play I've already gotten my money's worth, no doubt about that.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

November 19th, 2018, 19:57
Darksiders: warmastered edition

The environments are much more diverse than I expected. A good thing just like the (so far) interesting story. The camera controls suck really hard

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

November 19th, 2018, 21:10
I've heard about Darksiders before, but haven't played any of them to date. Are they action-type games, or more turn based?

Carnifex

SasqWatch

November 19th, 2018, 21:22
Action games. The controls aren't perfect but they aren't horrible for a console port. I played the first one and loved it but haven't gotten to the second but should probably play it soon (in my backlog). There is a new one to be released soon (not sure if it is by the same folks and as good). They have some puzzles but are mostly action - not really an rpg at all but not a shooter. If the new one is as good as the first one I'd definitely buy it at some point -but having said that from what you've said on threads about the games you like I'm not sure this is your cup of tea.

Btw this is one of the games nordic cleaned up and enhanced for free when they purchased some of thq assets (titan quest is another).

I've heard about Darksiders before, but haven't played any of them to date. Are they action-type games, or more turn based?
Last edited by you; November 20th, 2018 at 00:42.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

November 19th, 2018, 21:27
Like God of war. If you like those ones… 90% action with some platforming and puzzle rooms included for good measure.

I hated the camera behavior in the beginning. It is too close to your character and doesn't react fast enough when you change direction with your character. I felt like I had no oversight at all. You get used to it though.

No choosing quests or dialogue but the story is supposedly good. Not that unique, but still fun premise.

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

November 19th, 2018, 23:15
Sounding like it wouldn't be my cuppa, but thanks for the information, folks.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

November 20th, 2018, 01:13
Golf Club VR, POE2, Gorf, and Pinball VR to name a few.

rooroosta

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

November 22nd, 2018, 21:13
Mostly trying to stick to development - but I do play Kingmaker and some FO76.

I've been unable to get my coop group to go for FO76 - so I'm trying not to play it until the time is right.

Kingmaker - after patches - is great, but I don't know if it will last.

Darth Tagnan

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

November 24th, 2018, 08:28
I finally, after eleventy-billion years, beat Ghostbusters for the C64. I've been getting squished with only one 'Buster at most making it through the doors to Zuul for years.

I also beat Final Fantasy 1 (GBA port). It was okay, clocking in around 11 hours minus the Dawn of Souls bonus dungeons, but it's combat was far too frequent, with random battles about twice every step. Also far too easy, since I gained levels so quickly just bashing through the endless random battles, I ended up over leveled for everything except the end boss, who wasn't all that challenging, but did manage to kill one useless character.

azraelck

Angel of Cookies!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to azraelck

November 24th, 2018, 18:00
I'm more shocked that you are still playnig on a working c64 than having actually beat the game.

Originally Posted by azraelck View Post
I finally, after eleventy-billion years, beat Ghostbusters for the C64. I've been getting squished with only one 'Buster at most making it through the doors to Zuul for years.

I also beat Final Fantasy 1 (GBA port). It was okay, clocking in around 11 hours minus the Dawn of Souls bonus dungeons, but it's combat was far too frequent, with random battles about twice every step. Also far too easy, since I gained levels so quickly just bashing through the endless random battles, I ended up over leveled for everything except the end boss, who wasn't all that challenging, but did manage to kill one useless character.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

November 24th, 2018, 18:48
Originally Posted by azraelck View Post
Good work! Really enjoyed that game back in the day. My personal long term goal - 33 years and counting - is to beat Master of Magic, the mastertronic game with the ace Rob Hubbard music. I have never managed to get past the bloody minotaur. One day, minotaur, one day…

Pongo

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

November 24th, 2018, 19:03
That Ghostbuster game was a toughie, I well remember playing that one. Good job on licking it!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

November 25th, 2018, 13:11
That Ghostbuster game was a toughie, I well remember playing that one. Good job on licking it!
I have it as well … I might retry it one day.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?