Things you don't need to know...

There is so called Euler Brick problem:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler_brick

In short, if we add the third dimension to pythagorean theorem (A² + B² = C²) with integers, does a "brick" with the space diagonal inside that has integer length exist?
Noone proved or disproved an existence of such one.

2000px-Euler_brick_perfect.svg.png

I'm sure pibbur will try to solve this one:
Find a box where A² + B² + C² = G², and where all four numbers are integers.
Noone succeeded.
Nice one. :)

As for trying to solve it - at least we know where to start: (3×10^12,10^10,2.5*10^13).

pibbur who doesn't have the time for this now, but when he partially retires next year…..

Last edited:
I imagine that's what it looks like when the vikings pillage your village. We had a bit of trouble with that a few (1200) years ago.

I imagine that's what it looks like when the vikings pillage your village. We had a bit of trouble with that a few (1200) years ago.

Reminds me of the following Tom Lehrer song:

"We taught them a lesson in 1918, and they've hardly bothered us since then."

MLF (Multilateral Force) "was an American proposal to produce a fleet of ballistic missile submarines and warships, each manned by international NATO crews". Including West Germany. Which caused some concern in the 50's/60's.

pibbur who refused to take part in this (he was not invited).

Due to the delicate matter of this post, I encourage you all to stop reading right now.

I have to admit something. GG was right, I was wrong. The gothic Swede has repeatedly claimed that self driving cars were just around the corner. And I've repeatedly said "Hah!", "No way!", "Don't even think about it". Other rejections.

Now, it turns out that the norwegian minister (the secretary, not the cleric) for transport facilities (called Ketil Solsvik-Olsen, "Ketil" among friends, of which there can't be many. His mother may have loved him.), is at the moment preparing legislation to allow testing of self-driving vehicles in Norway. (http://www.tu.no/artikler/vi-kan-fa-selvkjorende-biler-pa-norske-veier-neste-ar/359569) Not in 2030. Not in 2020. Or 2019. Of course not in 2018. But in 2017!!!! (At this point, let it be known that I didn't vote for crooked Solsvik-Olsen.)

So I have to bow to the sweet Swede and aknowledge defeat.

BUT THERE'S NO WAY ROBOTS ARE GOING TO REPLACE SURGEONS!!!!!

pibbur who wonders if he ever again will acknowledge being owned by the (im)poster using his name.

PS. If you have problems reading the linked article, it may be because it's in Norwegian. Sadly, Swedes usually don't have that problem. DS.

Last edited:
I always loved Tom Lehrer and they are even experimenting with self-driving cars down here too. Pibs, THERE'S NO ESCAPE!! :D

Okay. I'm sure I've missed something, but could you please help me out which one of these 219 acronyms you're using?
Thanks for the explanation.

PS=«Post scriptum», something you add after your signature.
DS (according to the Swedish wikipedia) comes from Swdish «densamma», meaning «the same», and is a signature of the added text, saying that it's the original author who made the addition.

pibbur who refuses to be a signature of his owner.

PS "DS" may also refer to "deinde scriptum", "in place of a signature" DS

PPS If you add another text, the acronym is PPS (post post scriptum) and so on. Not like I until now has written: "PS2"… I think that you still use DS to terminate the PPS. DS.

PPPS. I thought these acronyms were common all around the world? DS.

Last edited:
I always loved Tom Lehrer and they are even experimenting with self-driving cars down here too. Pibs, THERE'S NO ESCAPE!! :D

AAAAAAAAAaaaaaarrrrrrghhhhhhh. Cough, cough.....

GET THEM AWAY FROM ME, GET THEM AWAY FROM ME, GET THEM.....

//Insert a smurf song.

AAAAAAAAAaaaaaarrrrrrghhhhhhh. Cough, cough…..

GET THEM AWAY FROM ME, GET THEM AWAY FROM ME, GET THEM…..

//Insert a smurf song.

Quick lyrics translation to sing along … :sing:

The Smurfs - I Want Cookies (Endless Summer) said:

I want cookies!
Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-ooooh, Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-ooooh
Ye-eh-eh-eh-eh-eeeey, Ye-eh-eh-eh-eh-eeeey
I want cookies!
I want cookies!

I want cookies!

No cabbage, no spinach, no-o vegs and no salad
no-o be-eans, no-o fish, do I want today as dish
no salmon, not . . . ?, not flambéed, not pickled
no potatoes and no leek
ha-ave space in my tum-my

No-o bro-cco-li, no cabbage, no-o spinach,
this I will ne-ver-eat
no vegs and no salad, no-o bro-cco-li,
no potatoes and no leek, … no-o bro-cco-li …

I want cookies!

Last edited:
@pobbur who

I knew about PS and PPS, in fact, I have used it myself quite a few times, but I can't remember ever having seen DS before. Except in your forum postings that is.
Now I know that does not say much, there are more texts in the world I have not seen than texts I have seen. :)

Thanks for explaining. Thanks for making me smarter this morning. :)

Best wishes,
Eye.

PS I think the DS thing is a bit weird though. Especially in cases where there is no doubt who the author is. DS
PPS Sorry. DS.

Might be an interesting topic for this thread why the QWERTY keyboard was designed the way it is. Why on earth put the vowels y, u, i, and o, next to each other…

Might be an interesting topic for this thread why the QWERTY keyboard was designed the way it is. Why on earth put the vowels y, u, i, and o, next to each other…

AFAIK, the QWERTY layout was created in the 1870s to compensate "flaws that made the product susceptible to jams" (Wikipedias), which was a significant problem with early type writers. The idea was to "place commonly used letter-pairs (like "th" or "st") so that their typebars were not neighboring, avoiding jams".

Another way to look at this is that the idea was to prevent problems by slowing down typists. Actually this doesn't make much sense, since it wouldn't hamper trained typists, but this explanation was the one chosen on QI.

pibbur who heard about it on QI and read about it on Wikipedia.

Last edited:
Due to the delicate matter of this post, I encourage you all to stop reading right now.

I have to admit something. GG was right, I was wrong. The gothic Swede has repeatedly claimed that self driving cars were just around the corner. And I've repeatedly said "Hah!", "No way!", "Don't even think about it". Other rejections.

Now, it turns out that the norwegian minister (the secretary, not the cleric) for transport facilities (called Ketil Solsvik-Olsen, "Ketil" among friends, of which there can't be many. His mother may have loved him.), is at the moment preparing legislation to allow testing of self-driving vehicles in Norway. (http://www.tu.no/artikler/vi-kan-fa-selvkjorende-biler-pa-norske-veier-neste-ar/359569) Not in 2030. Not in 2020. Or 2019. Of course not in 2018. But in 2017!!!! (At this point, let it be known that I didn't vote for crooked Solsvik-Olsen.)

So I have to bow to the sweet Swede and aknowledge defeat.

BUT THERE'S NO WAY ROBOTS ARE GOING TO REPLACE SURGEONS!!!!!

pibbur who wonders if he ever again will acknowledge being owned by the (im)poster using his name.

PS. If you have problems reading the linked article, it may be because it's in Norwegian. Sadly, Swedes usually don't have that problem. DS.

Well, have I mentioned I am seldom wrong? :D GG, who knows that there are already robot surgeons and it is only a matter of time before they'll replace real ones :D

Self-driving truck's first shipment: 50k cans of beer. Of Budweiser type.

BTW: Do you have any references to the robot surgeons. I'm not arguing, I just want to know more about it.

pibbur who first of all is a pibbur, and after that, human.

Just to make things clear, I should say that currently the robots are still controlled by a human surgeon, but theoretically, they could be programmed to do certain things on their own. I think so far their are both some legal complications as well as too high risks involved for trying fully automatic though.

This page has the most comprehensive information of the pages I know about:

http://www.allaboutroboticsurgery.com/home.html

Take it with a grain of salt though, as it is sponsored by a robotics company :)

Back
Top Bottom