The TV Series discussion thread

Watched the season finale of True Detective last night. I can't wait for season 2. This is probably my favorite TV drama since Breaking Bad.

The director from this season has left for other projects, hopefully his replacement will do as good a job. Will be interested to see the cast for the next run.

3 seasons of Game of Thrones in one 3-day weekend. Over 24 hours of material.

And my back is killing me.

Pretty good, great cinematography (especially in 1080p HD) but a bit too many gratuitous sex scenes at the expense of character, story, and setting.

Watched the season finale of True Detective last night. I can't wait for season 2. This is probably my favorite TV drama since Breaking Bad.

The director from this season has left for other projects, hopefully his replacement will do as good a job. Will be interested to see the cast for the next run.

I just finished watching it. It was good, but there were a couple of things that bugged me. I know I'm nitpicking but…

When they deduced how to find the killer after seeing that old photo of the freshly painted green house. That was just too much of a stretch to be plausible for me.

When Marty rushed in after Rust had been stabbed and fired at the killer. He hit him in the shoulder with the first shot and then fired three more shots that all missed before he got knocked down with the hammer. No way does a trained ex-cop miss all three of those shots at that range.

Like I said, I'm nitpicking. It was still excellent, and I'm disappointed that the season is over so soon. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what they cook up for the second season, but I won't be expecting it to match the quality of the first.

True Detective S1 was absolutetly great. And yeah i could probably nitpick at a thing or two, but still, 10/10 in my book, a must see.

Funniest_Memes_finish-tv-series-sudden-existential-crisis_13030.jpeg

:anxious:

Great show, no doubt, but I was also a bit underwhelmed by the finale.

I didn't get that green house thing at all - and I don't understand why Rust didn't wait for Marty after he heard him shout. That's just stupid beyond belief. He willingly entered that place alone when he could have had a partner with him. That "white trash" woman wanting to have flowers made on her was a bit over-the-top for me. I did like the "warm darkness" bit at the end, though, and I was impressed by the acting involved.

I could go on, but I have to say I think the show peaked at episode 4 and I found the last couple of episodes weaker than the first half.

Saw 'The clone wars' in Netflix and gave it a try. I'm liking it! I don't understand why episodes are out of order though (airing time different than chronological time). I had to Google to find the correct watching order.

DArtagnan: that would have taken away all the suspense, so the scene wouldnt even have worked. I'd say most crime series would be boring beyond belief it everything was done realistically..

Http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wa...eator-nic-pizzolatto-looks-back-on-season-1/1

"Can you tell me anything at all about season 2?

Nic Pizzolatto: Okay. This is really early, but I'll tell you (it's about) hard women, bad men and the secret occult history of the United States transportation system."

Sounds interesting :) He could be joking, ofcourse.

DArtagnan: that would have taken away all the suspense, so the scene wouldnt even have worked. I'd say most crime series would be boring beyond belief it everything was done realistically..

Have you watched The Wire?

I don't agree that things need to be stupid to be exciting.
That guy could easily have been a big problem even with both of them there.

Sometimes, it's ok to criticise a great show and it doesn't mean it's not great.

Nothing is perfect, and I think True Detective had a stronger start than finish. They spent so much time developing characters so wonderfully, that it feels off that they'd rush the ending like that.

That's my opinion and nothing more.

Not sure cops would stop and wait for their partner if they're chasing some dude though? They usually dont do that, in TV series at least. The Wire has plenty of unrealistic stunts and characters, i'd say it's on pair with this series in terms of realism.

It's absolutely ok to nitpick! Personally i wasnt very happy with the end dialogue, it was too much like two teens discussing something on the afterglow of a LSD trip - very cliché. Totally beneath a character like Rust who was supposed to be really experienced.

Last edited:
Well, I don't agree with your analysis of his reaction to that experience either - but it's no big deal.

To each his own ;)

Series 3 of Continuum began today for those who enjoy the Canadian based SF series!!

I've just started watching EP14 of Season 4 of the Walking Dead and just had to comment on the introduction:
An original fallout reference perhaps in the usage of the Ink Spots "Maybe?" Really noticeable slow camera work reminiscent of that wonderful intro as well. Looking forward to it, as I've much enjoyed season 4 in general due to the situation and survival based dynamics of each of the individual groups.

I was pleasantly surprised by that as well. :)

Here's the intro on YouTube…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWreFtZVhVg

I was wondering who else would catch the possible Fallout reference. It was a great, unsettling episode. Plus, it didn't deal with Darryl's mystery past, so that was a bonus. And it had some of the better zombie deaths in a while. And damn it only two episodes left for the season.

I didn't expect the girl to kill her sister, I figured she'd go off and let herself get bitten. Which was more disturbing: Carol euthanizing the girl or Carl having to shoot his mother?

Regarding the spoiler question above, my response would be choice number 3....what happened to the little girl was far more devastating than the other two. By far.

So then, after all the grumbling about Walking Dead, it appears everyone is back on the bandwagon? :) I've caught up now, and I don't know that I understand why everyone was unhappy. I thought they handled the "introspective/philosophical" approach far better this time around than a few seasons ago when things got downright annoying (I expect Dale being gone helped significantly).

Safe to say that the end of this season will leave us waiting very impatiently for the next.

So, you guys are saying I should catch up again?

I just made my peace with never going back to that crap!

Back
Top Bottom