Presales winner Mass Effect 3 vs. Skyrim

I always found the "press" love for the ME franchise really strange. Especially, when you compare the number of unit sold to other franchise (like the Elder Scrolls or Fallout3).

It's like if people who play "scifi games" and shooters are a lot more vocal on the web, than people who play fantasy games.

I don't doubt that Skyrim will win. A polished, mod-able sandbox game is a lot rarer than yet another linear RPG.

There simply are only a few Sci-Fi RPGs out there.

And in a poll of a German magazine the ME series was chosen by the online readers as the one of the most well-designed worlds/universes, if I recall this correctly.
I cannot find the page with the poll anymore, though.

well, consider also that ME is for PC and Xbox while Skyrim is PC/Xbox/PS3

Shooter vs established RPG series. An interesting one.

More like consider ME3 is to be released about 4 months later, no?
But I´ll be really surprised if ME3 ends up scoring more sales than Skyrim anyway.

And I for one am taking a causious approach to Mass Effect 3 after what they did with ME 2.
Well and I for one am taking cautious approach to Skyrim after what they did with Oblivion and (to a lesser degree) with Fallout 3 :).
Thanks to modability the game will probably end up being playable in any case, but it took Oblivion 4 years to reach that state from where I´m standing.

In regards to ME3, personally I´m more cautious due to the Dragon Age 2 incident.

Both games have similar potential to suck in their categories imo, at least upon release.

Last edited:
More like consider ME3 is to be released about 4 months later, no?
But I´ll be really surprised if ME3 ends up scoring more sales than Skyrim anyway.

Well and I for one am taking cautious approach to Skyrim after what they did with Oblivion and (to a lesser degree) with Fallout 3 :).
Thanks to modability the game will probably end up being playable in any case, but it took Oblivion 4 years to reach that state from where I´m standing.

In regards to ME3, personally I´m more cautious due to the Dragon Age 2 incident.

Both games have similar potential to suck in their categories imo, at least upon release.

Good points. I love Oblivion so I sometimes forget I've modded it and I probably wouldn't love it as much unmodded. I won't have the luxury to mod Skyrim so I suppose it's entirely possible it might dissapoint me in some regards. I suppose I should start preparing for that.

Good point about Dragon Age 2 as well.

both titles should die a painful death

Mass Effect >>> Oblivion

so maybe

Mass Effect 3 >>> Skyrim

Quite possible at least if Bethesda keeps the same thinking as they did with Oblivion. Let's create a boring random world, with bad systems for everything, and extremely ugly and boring NPCs.

Well, Mass Effect might be = Oblivion, but DA>>ME>>ME2>>DA2, so definitely a downward trend there, more so then Morrowind>>>Oblivion.

After Oblivion I'm still quite happy buying Skyrim, but after ME2 and, even worse, DA2, I doubt that I'll be bothering with ME3, especially with visions of it coming out a "streamlined" ME2 clone.

My personal money goes on Skyrim. On the other hand, the market does seem to love generic shooters, so you never know.

Back
Top Bottom