Fallout 4 Settlements/crafting

After all this time, I only recently figured out how to scrap the junk in your inventory to collect the individual components. For anyone who doesn't know, you have to drop it on the ground first and then go to workshop mode, highlight it, and scrap it.

Really, really stupid for Bethesda to make it that way. Why not have the option to simply scrap junk at the workshop the same way we can scrap weapons at the weapon bench? It's almost as if they were actually trying to be counter-intuitive.

Are you aware that junk gets scrapped automatically for the appropriate materials when stored in the Workshop?

There's no reason to actually scrap it manually. Well, none that I can see.

Go to Workshop - Press T for "Store All Junk" - profit.

Are you aware that junk gets scrapped automatically for the appropriate materials when stored in the Workshop?

There's no reason to actually scrap it manually. Well, none that I can see.

Go to Workshop - Press T for "Store All Junk" - profit.

There's a very significant reason actually. The components weigh only a fraction of what the junk does, and I like to have materials to work with when I come across crafting stations while exploring.

There's a very significant reason actually. The components weigh only a fraction of what the junk does, and I like to have materials to work with when I come across work benches while exploring.

You can't just fast travel to your workshop? I do that when I want to create something.

Do you actually want to carry around all that stuff in case you want to craft something? Seems a massive waste of inventory space.

I guess I don't find the need for mid-quest crafting THAT often :)

Anyway, it should be a pretty trivial feature for some modder to add.

You can't just fast travel to your workshop? I do that when I want to create something.

Do you actually want to carry around all that stuff in case you want to craft something? Seems a massive waste of inventory space.

I guess I don't find the need for mid-quest crafting THAT often :)

Anyway, it should be a pretty trivial feature for some modder to add.

Last time I checked, inventory space was unlimited. ;)

To be honest, it never really occurred to me to just fast travel back to Sanctuary to use the bench there, but I hate to break immersion with things like that.

To be honest, it never really occurred to me to just fast travel back to Sanctuary to use the bench there, but I hate to break immersion with things like that.

I usually just wait until I'm done exploring whatever location. It might sound weird, but I actually enjoy having those little upgrades to look forward to once I've cleared something.

I like those little breaks when I go back to my place to rest, craft and talk.

To me, it's more disturbing to my immersion when I start crafting in the middle of an adventure. Seems such an odd thing to do when in danger or roaming around some abandoned building.

But, to each his own ;)

I usually just wait until I'm done exploring whatever location. It might sound weird, but I actually enjoy having those little upgrades to look forward to.

I like those little breaks when I go back to my place to rest, craft and talk.

To me, it's more disturbing to my immersion when I start crafting in the middle of an adventure. Seems such an odd thing to do when in danger or roaming around some abandoned building.

But, to each his own ;)

Actually, I think it makes perfect sense that someone might want to upgrade their weapon whenever they're able and get rid of some dead weight at the same time.

It's not as if I'm doing it when enemies are in the next room. I'll clear an area and do a perimeter check before doing anything like that. It's certainly a lot more realistic than instantly teleporting back to my home base to craft something. :)

Actually, I think it makes perfect sense that someone might want to upgrade their weapon whenever they're able and get rid of some dead weight at the same time.

It's not as if I'm doing it when enemies are in the next room. I'll clear an area and do a perimeter check before doing anything like that. It's certainly a lot more realistic than instantly teleporting back to my home base to craft something. :)

I don't think I can see how it makes more sense to carry around a ton of crafting components and then mod a weapon in a strange building with potential enemies roaming around.

Magically making it happen with a couple of clicks seems no less ridiculous than "teleporting" to me ;)

I guess I just imagine I'm actually traveling and I imagine I'm actually modding when I'm doing that.

Anyway, you obviously have a problem with this missing feature - and I was just trying to help.

I guess my suggestion breaks your immersion, so hopefully a mod will come out to solve your problem.

I don't think I can see how it makes more sense to carry around a ton of crafting components and then mod a weapon in a strange building with potential enemies roaming around.

Magically making it happen with a couple of clicks seems no less ridiculous than "teleporting" to me ;)

I guess I just imagine I'm actually traveling and I imagine I'm actually modding when I'm doing that.

Anyway, you obviously have a problem with this missing feature - and I was just trying to help.

I guess my suggestion breaks your immersion, so hopefully a mod will come out to solve your problem.

Yet you think it makes sense to go halfway across the map to craft something? :)

It's not about carrying around large quantities, it's about simply having a variety of components to use if I want them without lugging around a bunch of heavy junk.

My main point though was how unintuitive the crafting system is until you get used to it. I just think they could have done a much better job.

Yet you think it makes sense to go halfway across the map to craft something? :)

I'm not sure this is really something we need to go on about, but ok:

It makes sense to me to go home once in a while to craft, rest and talk - yes. I find that a very appropriate and realistic thing to do. It's also something I'm very used to do in games.

Even when I travel home just for crafting, yes, it makes a lot more sense to craft stuff at home in safety - than doing it while in a strange building where I don't know what might come around.

Maybe it's because I've played so many MMOs with crafting or whatever - but it's always been something you do in safe zones and towns. To me, that's just a lot more natural than doing it when adventuring - because I actually imagine myself crafting stuff on a workbench, which would take hours and hours - even for a simple weapon mod.

Obviously, this is all pretty academic - as it's just a game - and we could each find a hundred ridiculously unrealistic things about any game - including this one.

It's not about carrying around large quantities, it's about simply having a variety of components to use if I want them without lugging around a bunch of heavy junk.

We were talking about what makes sense. To you, carrying your components around and crafting during exploration makes more sense than going home to craft. It doesn't make more sense to me, that's all.

That said, if I had some need to add a mod during a quest - as in if it was a matter of life and death, then obviously I'd have to craft at the nearest station. But I have yet to experience that.

My main point though was how unintuitive the crafting system is until you get used to it. I just think they could have done a much better job.

They could definitely have done a better job overall, but I have to say I find this particular "problem" pretty insignificant.

I didn't know you knew about the option to store junk and use it for components, but you did and so I can't really help you.

It's no surprise that we're different when it comes to how we approach games and immersion - and I'm perfectly ok with that.

Agree to disagree and be done with it?

You made it sound like you use fast travel to go back just to craft something and then travel back to whatever location you're exploring.

Perhaps I misunderstood, but if that's indeed the case, then we definitely have different ideas of what "makes sense".

As far as an adventurer wanting to have stuff on his/her person just in case they have the opportunity to enhance their arsenal while wandering, I can't for the life of me see how that wouldn't make sense.

It's not a big deal though. At least not to me. :)

You made it sound like you used fast travel to go back just to craft something and then travel back to whatever location you're exploring.

I've done that, yes, but only rarely. As I said, I prefer to take a little break and craft multiple things - as well as take care of whatever else I need at home.

You could call it a little R&R and upgrade session. I've enjoyed that in RPGs for decades.

Again, I still find it more natural to go home to craft - even when I'm exploring.

That's just me, though.

As for "fast travel" - I don't always use it. It depends on how impatient I am. I don't find traveling over vast distances I've already covered particularly interesting.

Sometimes, I have to compromise on immersion - as I'd wear myself out otherwise. It very much depends on the game and the amount of free time I have available.

Perhaps I misunderstood, but if that's indeed the case, then we definitely have different ideas of what "makes sense".

It's not a big deal though. At least not to me. :)

Cool :)

Just to clarify.. I'm not against "fast travel" in general. I just wouldn't want to use it to go back to craft something before I've finished exploring a location.

And I agree about it feeling more natural to craft something at your home base. That's where I do the majority of my crafting. I just like to have materials for when I come across new settlements as well as the occasional weapons mod out in the field.

Just to clarify.. I'm not against "fast travel" in general. I just wouldn't want to use it to go back to craft something before I've finished exploring a location.

And I agree about it feeling more natural to craft something at your home base. That's where I do the majority of my crafting. I just like to have materials for when I come across new settlements as well as the occasional weapons mod out in the field.

Well, if you ask me, they should just go and make junk weigh nothing at all - just like ammo.

Ever since playing Gothic for the first time, I've been more and more inclined to avoid the whole inventory mini-game when I can.

I can run and sneak carrying 360 lbs already. I mean, do we really need junk to have weight? ;)

I'm not sure why we can't assign settlers to follow us around at a safe distance and/or set up a scavenging beacon. This would be a beacon that we carry with us, tuned to our settlement frequency. You set one up and a group of settlers comes to the location and takes everything not nailed down. It would be an option after you've "cleared" an area.

They wouldn't be able to loot anything behind locked doors or terminals, but everything else would be game. Anything that I personally don't pick up just gets dismantled though, so exploration would still be necessary. Also, if you leave behind mines or traps, then the settlers should be able to die. Maybe somebody will make a mod like this.

This would be a great job for "named" settlers. It could also be tied to your perks as to what items are able to be converted by your followers. You'd need the 2nd level town leader perk and probably gun nut, armorer, and some science to get the most out of this idea.

One thing that bothers me is when you auto scrap stuff from your workship junk pile during crafting, you don't know what gets scrapped, and if leftovers remain and how much of which kind.

I'm not sure why we can't assign settlers to follow us around at a safe distance and/or set up a scavenging beacon. This would be a beacon that we carry with us, tuned to our settlement frequency. You set one up and a group of settlers comes to the location and takes everything not nailed down. It would be an option after you've "cleared" an area.

You're asking a lot there. This is Bethesda after all. ;)

Sounds like that would make for a cool mod though if it could be done.

Yep. The AI probably isn't sophisticated enough to pull it off. The best I could probably hope for is a "loot map" option at the end of a quest and building would automatically get looted to the workshop after a "cleared" status has been achieved.

Been to Goodneighbor?
Go to hotel. There is a person there called Vault-Tec Rep. Impress him enough to work for you, then build in a settlement you want him to be and assign him to best general trader option (Trading Emporium). Check his offer now, nice item selection!

I've tried this with Sheffield from Diamond City too, but he sells pretty much junk so skip him or I dunno what to do with him. He's former drunk, maybe someone has an idea if there is a station he could have a bonus if used in a settlement as I'm not sure - you can't produce wine or something.

I've never reached a level high enough to have merchants in town. If I could just stop myself from restarting. I just love a squeaky new character fresh out of the vault.

Southwest from the castle on the map there is an island.
I received a task from P.A.M. to build a settlement there. But I'm pretty sure anyone can go build a settlement there without a quest, I just didn't know it's considered a location till today!

People, that area is of size all other settlements combined! You're allowed to build on every inch of that island!
So huge it took me probably half an hour to scrap everything there.

If you're planning to go for it, pick some heavy DPS weapon. There are two hard mobs to deal with.

One thing, the provisioner I set to go that route - drowned.
Googled and seems it's a bug in everyone's game, so you should task it to Mr Handy (any from Graygarden) that will float as a provisioner and - apparently won't drown or get stuck of course. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom