The TV Series discussion thread

Finished Making a Murderer II. A frustrating watch to say the least. Fucking scum and criminals in the US justice system, really baffling. Not even a a crime thriller have this much evil and betrayal because they'd think it wouldn't be very believeable.

Anyone eager to see some (more) asian soaps? :evilgrin:
If no, skip this. If yes…

Okay okay, not really a soap. Only 13 episodes, no draggin'.
First a few words about GMMTV. I think I've mentioned it before, but can't remember now. That's thai network that produces teen yucky garbage like CW does in USA, only with pisspoor budget. The very same GMMTV has it's own youtube channel where you can legally watch everything they made for free (prepare for advertisments though) and they add english subtitles themselves.

Just as CW among numerous garbage can make some stuff worth watching (100 for example), GMMTV sometimes produces a gem noone should skip.
Don't bother searching for this one on imdb, not yet at least. The Gifted is one of rare scifi/fantasy thriller gems, it's based on a novel that already had a movie adaptation but after finishing the series, can't see how can this be condensed in one movie.

Synopsis:
https://mydramalist.com/27367-the-gifted
Ritdha High School, the school that not only has gifted students but also the "Gifted Program," a gifted class with only a handful of "special" students were chosen to study in this program.

Unfortunately “Pang” a 10th-grade student from lowest class suddenly passed the Gifted placement test for unknown reason. His entrance to the Gifted Program was filled with confusion. He and his new friends in the class started to feel that there is something strange about this class. Eventually, they figure out that this Gifted Program is unleashing something about their "potential" in themselves to be awaken. Their lives are about to change, when great power that fulfill all their dreams come with troubles. Their gift is about to reveal a secret that this school tries to hide.

Saying anything more would definetly spoil too much of it, so I'll stop there.
You don't have to search for "eng sub the gifted", someone already made a playlist for all 13 episodes on GMMTV channel (all episodes are in 4 parts, make sure you turn subtitles on):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwNfV6A1jn8&list=PLWco0tcAFuiRciCRwyy9NbYYPMfT6a-XH&index=1

I usually say watch before Hollywood poisons the world with a silly remake. In this case I wish Hollywood (or anyone else) picked it and pumped some serious $ into a remake polishing quite a few cheapish parts that feel cheesy. If possible with the same cast, those kids are unbelievably talented.

If a remake ever happens, a remake with some proper budget, definetly go for that remake. Till then, do me a favor and enjoy this version. Before you die!

Well, I'm watching goblin atm. I will look for some more foreign shows afterwards.

Goblin itself is nice. It's polished / Western enough to be more digestible. I'm sure some, eg, Indian, shows will be much harder to get into.

Goblin has some silly and cheesy moments in there but I can cope. I really liked the music at the beginning (instrumental, intro theme etc) but then there were some boysband songs that they just repeated way too much.

Well, I'm watching goblin atm. I will look for some more foreign shows afterwards.

Goblin itself is nice. It's polished / Western enough to be more digestible. I'm sure some, eg, Indian, shows will be much harder to get into.

Goblin has some silly and cheesy moments in there but I can cope. I really liked the music at the beginning (instrumental, intro theme etc) but then there were some boysband songs that they just repeated way too much.
Goblin was it the Asian Drama with the cursed general, or the anime version?

Anway earlier I was watching a Drama called Bad Papa on a streaming website.

Link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Papa
Ji-cheol is an incompetent husband and dad. He was a detective who got suspended for allegedly taking a bribe. He can’t come up with their living expenses, let alone the rent. On top of that, his daughter gets into trouble and he has to come up with the settlement money. Cornered, Ji-cheol makes a dangerous decision. Having been a boxing champion in the past, he decides to participate in an illegal boxing match and take the prize money.

I hope he's watching korean drama and falling in love with the girl as everyone did. ;)
Not anime as we have a separate anime thread. :)

Goblin is streaming worldwide legally on viki.com except some countries (can't know which ones though, you have to check yourself):
https://www.viki.com/tv/31706c-goblin?locale=en
Free but you'll see a commercial here and there, nothing too much I think.

Erm, haven't I already posted this?

Didn't watch Bad Papa. Yet. When you finish it, please share thoughts if it's good enough to dive in. It's also available (not everywhere!) on viki.com. If an asian show on viki.com is blocked for you, usually that means another streaming site in your area has it in their catalogue. Well, unless that other site is killed like dramafever in USA. We sure Trump had nothing with it's demise? :D

Last edited:
There is an anime of it? Watching the drama on my very local Netflix. I watch it on a TV or not at all. Usually websites are not ideal for that.

Edit: funny thing is they also try to explain Korean wordplays in the English subtitles, but often it scrolls by too fast. I did pick up some Korean words here and there :)

No, the anime series currently airing is a completely different story. And it's not just Goblin but Goblin Slayer. The trailer:

The story:
A young priestess has formed her first adventuring party, but almost immediately they find themselves in distress. It's the Goblin Slayer who comes to their rescue—a man who's dedicated his life to the extermination of all goblins, by any means necessary. And when rumors of his feats begin to circulate, there's no telling who might come calling next…

About korean drama though, there are short cutscenes animated that can be used when TV stations cut the show in the middle to force some advertisments. Like:

I started Goblin but gave up after first episode! It was a cringe fest and reminded me of the "romantic" stuff my wife watches! I will have another go and see if I can get into it!

I really like Koran movies like Memories for murder (one of the best movies ever) and A Bittersweet Life but they are nothing like the TV show Goblin.

The Gifted sounds interesting so might give that ago.

Different country and different genre.
Goblin is fantasy+romance, The Gifted is scifi/fantasy thriller without (well, not completely) romances.
Cringy, but of course, the point is to laugh a lot. Those are not ment for fans of dark&gritty setups.

Never give up based on one episode. Of any show. Give at least a few a chance. For example Karate Kid revival has a horrible first episode yet is one of the best things in 2018.

One more thing. GMMTV's The Gifted has absolutely nothing in common with Marvel's The Gifted. Marvel's series is a mediocre spielbergian story about an irrelevant family where at least one of main roles is a doctor or nurse.

Last edited:
Did you guys see Train to Busan? I'm pretty sick of zombie hijinks, but I really enjoyed that one. Great characters.

"I really like Koran movies like Memories of Murder (the best movie ever)."
Series thread. :p
But… The movie. In my case it's not the best, but also one of.
Just as, returning to series, Engrenages. Not the best ever, but one of best.
Did you guys see Train to Busan? I'm pretty sick of zombie hijinks, but I really enjoyed that one. Great characters.
Another movie, no, didn't, yet. Will. Soon.

Oh yeah - I thought this was the movie thread for a second!

Series thread. :p
But… The movie. In my case it's not the best, but also one of.
Yeah ok… Maybe not the ultimate best!

I have a gay crush for Son Kang-Ho since I saw him in Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance long ago…
Boksuneun-naui-geot-AKA-Sympathy-for-Mr.-Vengeance-2002-1.jpg

…so I'm biased!

EDIT: sorry, I know this ain't the right thread but I love that movie so much: here's a short video that doesn't represent in any way the intellectuel and emotional qualities of the film:

Flying kicks! :p

Last edited:
I started Goblin but gave up after first episode! It was a cringe fest and reminded me of the "romantic" stuff my wife watches! I will have another go and see if I can get into it!
No no no, don't try it again. This will definitely be not for you. Even if you get past the silliness (and I doubt it), it also drags out many scenes (in slow-mo!).

If you want to train yourself, start by watching downton abbey with your wife. :)

Let us not speak of watching Downton Abbey with the wife.

When you've finished watching DA with the wife, it's time to move on to Good Witch from the Hallmark channel!! :)

Finished watching Mayans the other day, so now I've been re-watching two great favourites: Grantchester, and the Wire (I've honestly lost count of how many times I've watched this show).

Ah, so this is a men’s club. ‘Romantic stuff’ is boring.
Perhaps you’d be so kind to name all the series ‘the wife’ is watching every now and then while discussing Smurfette principle dominated stuff? I might like to check them out.

——

I just finished Olive Kitteridge, a rude clumsy though well meaning person with some autistic traits played by Frances McDermond.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3012698/

I am now in the second season of Harlots, which is far better than the first, showing the foul abuse, misfeasance and even murdering of the haves towards the have-nots, rich women included, while showing no problem covering each others backs.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5761478/

Back
Top Bottom