Dragon Age 2 - Building a better RPG @ Destructoid

Come on, keep cool, no need to use bold fonts.
It's a fact to me it's a failure, yes, as it's a fact apparently to you it isn't.

It's simply your opinion that the games are "dumbed down." That's all it is. An opinion. There's no objective game Smart-o-meter to look to. Sorry.

I don't recall claiming it to be objective truth.

I'm sure you have some other word for what they're doing - when they call stats mentally exhausting and they have to remove them from the creation process to appeal to those who would otherwise abandon the game.

Smarting up the game, maybe?

It is a different game. No one ever claimed or promised there would always be top-down strategic CRPGs that immediately start off with a bunch of stats and in no way try to win over people who don't enjoy stat-heavy CRPGs even at the beginning.

I'm not reacting to expectation or promise, but to what's there.

It's a dumbed down and overly streamlined experience, designed to draw in as many people as possible as the primary goal.

Again, you may find that to be impressive - but I don't.

Why is it so hard for you to accept that I don't like it, and that there's nothing wrong with me speaking my mind about it?

Again-

You can not like it and speak your mind. Please do.

And the stats are there, they just gave a preview at the VERY beginning of the game of what combat is like with massive powers.

They did not remove stats. Sheesh.

Well they did remove the Skills from DA:O, which is disappointing to me. At least the Talent system isn't as linear as it was in DA:O, although it remains to be seen if it's actually an improvement.

Why are you getting upset if one says Bioware is stupid ?When Bioware says , one is not emotionally ready for stats is fucking silly, usually RPGs have stats . Can one tell by reading up on the game if its for them or not ??? In a way Bioware is saying DA:O is to much for fucktard console kids lets make an ARPG and trim all the fat, make the x button do everything awsome so all can win. I really enjoyed DA:O why they went backward with DA2 will be a lesson they learn the hard way. Fans are not happy and they will loose many fans that have supported them for years just to gain a few new ones. They will loose more than they gain on this one. WITCHER2 coming soon guys.

The witcher2 will be great, yeah, and will fortunately make us forget that … error.
And my God, that thread title : "DA2 : Building a better RPG". That, makes me angry.

i thought dumbing down was streamlining what was already streamlined and from the vids i've seen, biowear hasn't really changed much in terms of intelligence from DAO (DAO was Wow but singeplayer and DA2 is now an action game with stats).

all you guys are just complaining that the main hero looks stupid with nutella spread across his face and the combat animations are all exagerrated as if it was made by the japanese rather than canadians...still..i would rather have a ronery wapanese guy ;) writing the games romances than an obese, creepy, toupée wearing fanfiction writer.

Bioware design team is quite clearly obsessed by game design and it's not about making more money. Think that is quite ridiculous, people that succeed on top, naturally grow in vanity and want be recognized.

Imagine that Bioware team members communicate about game design is a marketing approach look a lot like a conspiracy theory. I don't mean they aren't doing wrong choices or just choices I could not like. Also recognition includes also the number of sells which can be seen as a sort of recognition and then build a confusion with winning more money.

There's also some whiners here that are quite big fans of Bethesda and only because of this are quite suspect to come lost time whining about Bioware.

About trying capture attention of players, it's a bit fast to interpret it as a wish to capture more players. A book writer will try capture the reader from first sentence to last sentence, it's just normal and quite a change from long tradition of video gaming to not care much about players never finishing games they buy.

I seem to recall a rather engaging intro sequence, and a very simplistic character creation sequence - where you picked 1-2 skills, and a tiny portion of attribute points. Oh, and you had to endure picking a race and class as well.
Actually, that DOES really bother some people. I don't really know why. Maybe they get it in their heads that there is a "correct" choice and they freak because they can't figure out what the "correct" choice is? Maybe they are looking for instant gratification - they got the game installed and they want to commence orc bashing NOW? <shrug>

If people are quitting after just a few hours, though, it means they don't like the game, which means marketing managed to convince somebody they wanted a game that they really didn't want. If BioWare wants to get the early-quits stat down, tell marketing to be more honest about how the game plays.

That said - I still like the "legendary mode" thing quite a bit as a way to try out classes without having to invest oodles of hours.

To put in layman terms the mass is fickle and stupid. The majority cant handle stats or character choices. Or as Mike Laidlaw says sure we make the same game but that's stagnation.

Following his talk at the inaugural Gamesblog Live event, in which he explored "the importance of narrative and storytelling in gaming", we grabbed Dragon age II lead designer Mike Laidlaw for an interview.

Articulate and thoughtful, with a background as a writer before he started making video games, Laidlaw would be a good man to put in front of those who persist in maintaining that games are uniformly mindless.

After pumping him for further details regarding Dragon Age II's unusual "framed narrative" structure and how that affects gameplay, the conversation progressed to more general observations on the nature of role-playing games (RPGs) and the joys of working for Bioware one of the largest, most cerebral and most successful developers. Finally, Laidlaw offered an impassioned argument in favour of games as a valid art-form.

Your theme is narrative and storytelling in games. That's something for which Bioware is famed – how do you take that and build it into a gameplay experience?
I think the key is to use story not as a replacement to gameplay but as a flavour of gameplay. And to acknowledge that just having a good story isn't enough if you don't have the flow and pacing that comes out of combat and out of having progression.

Those three things are the holy triumvirate, really, of RPGs. I've played games with great stories, but if the combat gets dull after a while, you start to disengage between the story moments. For us as a studio, we basically keep it as a priority – our studio mission is to build the best emotionally engaging games in the world. And a big part of that is a commitment to writing as a craft.

We have over 25 writers on staff across all the Bioware studios and five editors, and then many of the senior staff are ex-writers like myself, so that keeps the focus.

Talk us through Dragon Age II's framed narrative structure.
It's one that has been used before, but the idea of the framed narrative is that one story is telling another story. It really hasn't been done a ton in gaming, although it has shown up occasionally. What we wanted to do was to try and build a game that covered a much longer span of time than normal – a whole decade of history.

We have an agenda of wanting to make the Dragon Age franchise stand out as one that evolves over time, so that as you play the games, it feels like a world that is changing. And while that can be a bit of a monumental task, our goal was to deliver an experience that feels like you're playing through the most significant moments in the life of the man or woman you control.

That meant we needed a narrative style that would get us from significant moment A to significant moment B, and that's what the framed narrative came out of: the idea of an interrogation that really is dragging forward through time, and the person suffering the interrogation, Varric, wanting to make sure that the interrogator understands the details, not just the high-level information. And that's where the player's experience comes in, because those details are key to that.

And the framed structure allows you to add an element of unreliability to the narrative – are there not parts of the game that you replay from different narrative viewpoints?
Yes. That's something we're playing with. You have to be very careful in gaming, as a medium, whenever you take away the player's trust. Because if you say: "No, this isn't what you did," then after a while, nothing will matter and for all I know, you'll be telling me it's all a dream at the end of the game, and I'll want to punch you.

So, the big goal for us is to ensure that at those moments when we do add some unreliability, they serve a gameplay purpose – whether that be through enriching the story or, as we're doing at the beginning of the game, giving you a taste of what your character will be like at a higher level, what the legendary version of your character is.

Through that, you can dive into the game and encounter the combat systems that we've changed nice and fast, then get to see how the story plays out.
Dragon Age II

And you've changed the combat system so it's more responsive compared to Origins, and made the game more action-oriented. Are you worried that will alienate hardcore Dragon Age fans?
There's always a danger of alienating the hardcore when you change anything – they wouldn't be the hardcore if they didn't truly love what was already there. But we wanted to make sure that we held onto the elements that made Dragon Age: Origins strong – party-based, tactical – even going so far as to replace spell-combos with cross-class combos so that now, when a mage freezes someone, a mage can't blow up that guy like you could in Origins; now a warrior or rogue has to get involved.

So the whole party becomes part of this concert of death, which makes the game even more tactical. But the fact that now, you charge into combat and swing, rather than shuffling awkwardly into position, to me takes care of a convention we could do without. There was even some initial backlash, with people asking: "What, have you made it an action game?" The answer is, frankly, action games have been stealing from RPGs for the past five years – levelling up, and getting a badge so that you can get a new weapon, that's an RPG mechanic.

So it's time that we, as a genre, took a look at some of those elements that action games have done exceptionally well and asked what we can learn from them.

So is there still a place in the world for turn-based RPGs? The Japanese seem to think there is.
Yes, I think there is. There's a place in the world for every genre, in my opinion. The problem is that if a genre doesn't change and evolve, or acknowledge that tastes change over time and entire new generations of gamers have come along, then it runs the risk of being pigeonholed as inherently old-school and not interesting. In a lot of ways, the key is to take classic gameplay on and reimagine it in new ways. Any game that refuses to change "simply because this is the way it's done" runs a significant risk of stagnating in an industry that's all about innovation.

Bioware seems to be bidding to take over the world at the moment – with Mass Effect 3, Star Wars: The Old Republic and Dragon Age II in the works, you must be the biggest developer in the world right now. What's it like being a part of that huge mass?
It's a carefully managed thing, because I think the greatest danger to us would be hubris – getting lost in our own pride and becoming egotists. But that, luckily, goes back to the founding principles given out by [Bioware founders] Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka, who are still very active in the company.

Greg is running the studio for SWTOR, and Ray will come in and play Dragon Age II for 50 hours and give extensive feedback, and he's still very grounded. That trickles down, and we realise what we're doing is creating something that we believe is art, and that we believe is entertaining. But that doesn't make us rock stars. What it does is make us people with one of the best jobs in the world, and one that we desperately don't want to screw up.

But people are still reluctant to admit that games are as relevant, artistically, as, say movies or music. What can be done to alter that perception?
I think, if anything, time is required – time, and a willingness to support artistic vision. There is a danger of the games industry as a whole becoming this money-making, sequel-pumping cash-cow, but in my experiences of everyone I've met in the games industry, I've yet to meet that soulless guy who just wants to make that quick buck.

Certainly there are fiscal responsibilities but, even within that, there's always that gleam in the eye of the developer when they have an idea. To me, any time we can come to an event like this and talk about the emotion of storytelling or, say, the way that they're evolving a type of combat in Crysis 2, that makes me understand that what we're doing is part of an evolving and growing medium. And if that medium evokes a response in people then, to my mind, it's art, in and of itself. But I do think that we're at a point when it's hard to defend games as art because we don't have our own fancy language. While that's coming, it does take time to evolve.

Saying, for example, that games can't be art because they don't provide the same experience all the time is like saying that you'd have to invalidate the entirety of theatre as art because somebody might cough, which I consider to be bullshit.

Bioware comes across as one of the more intellectual developers – Greg and Ray have academic backgrounds. Is it a company that values the cerebral approach?
I think it is. I wouldn't say we're unique in that. But I think a cerebral approach is better appreciated by RPG fans than it would be by, say, shooter fans. Although that carries the risk of it being exclusive and only for nerds, which is exactly the wrong impression.

There are so many people playing World of Warcraft, and so many people levelling up in Call of Duty; a lot of people don't even realise that every time they gained a driving point in GTA: San Andreas they were levelling up as if playing an RPG.

There Mr. Laidlaws view on bioware and rpgs. Easier to read it here than post a link.

Last edited:
Regarding the Witcher point, I was one of the people who stopped after 30 minutes and wrote it off. I never even got through the first sequence in the castle. Why because I didn't like the combat at all. Please correct me if I am wrong but CDProjekt actually got this feedback and overhauled many mechanics because people didn't like it (or maybe it was just 3 years later and I've been worn down by action rpgs into not minding it).

The overhaul begat the enhanced edition which I finally downloaded this summer and played through in part because of the praise on this site. Turns out I really missed out on an original experience and really loved it at the end of the day easily ranking in my personal top 10 games.

For this reason I cannot blame Bioware for studying why people might be stopping but at the end its probably fruitless and expensive as is really just a matter of taste of the gamer. I strongly dislike the blood splatter in DA and DA2 for some reason and might have stopped playing if there wasn't a option to turn it off. Perhaps someone else just turned it off without looking for the option. I do like that they were trying to make it edgier but the implementation left something to be desired.

And I am one of the disillusioned masses regarding Bioware. I bought an XBox just to play Jade Empire when it came out and boy I felt like a tool after that. It wasn't that bad but it was not a $300+ game like Baldur's Gate 2 was to me. KOTOR, ME, ME2 and DAO have been a steady slide away from what most of the hardcore fans like me liked about the BG series. I will still play DA2 and might even like it but with the good/evil bar and similar mechanics we are not getting revolutionary stuff here just evolutionary.

To put in layman terms the mass is fickle and stupid. The majority cant handle stats or character choices.

Seems to me there are more people calculating their DPS in WoW than have ever bought an entire BioWare series. That suggests to me that stats aren't a problem at all, if someone wants to play the game.

That's not to say game developers shouldn't try to improve the accessibility of their product. They should, but I think you need to be careful reading too much into metrics. For example, we know the largest group of players picked a warrior. We also know (Gaider has explained this many times) they look very carefully at optional content that isn't seen by every player because that isn't efficient. That's clearly correct but if you take that to the logical conclusion and only do a warrior, you suddenly don't have much on an RPG.

Can BioWare compete as a pure action developer? I don't know - even though there is a potentially bigger market, there's also a lot more competition. As an (single-player) western RPG developer, they only have one major competitor (Bethsoft) who do a completely different style.

In fact, Bethsoft is an interesting comparison. For all people accuse Bethsoft of dumbing down, their games have a lot of stats. Oddly, they seem to be able sell their games quite well.

Last edited:
Regarding the Witcher point, I was one of the people who stopped after 30 minutes and wrote it off. I never even got through the first sequence in the castle. Why because I didn't like the combat at all. Please correct me if I am wrong but CDProjekt actually got this feedback and overhauled many mechanics because people didn't like it (or maybe it was just 3 years later and I've been worn down by action rpgs into not minding it).

They didn't change the combat system in the Enhanced Edition. I'd suggest you just stuck with it a bit more and discovered all the good stuff. ;)

So...um are you saying it's just an action game now?

I think its great if a company takes feedback from players and improves things…but pretty much all of their "improvements" are not things that I or any of my RPG playing buddies wanted (I've asked quite a few people). So I would say that their data collection/analysis is flawed or overly simplistic - trying to reduce people down to a set of statistics is always risky. If we were that predictable you could make a killing on the stock market etc etc. I'm more inclined to believe that they asked action oriented gamers "what would you want if you played this kind of game"? and went with that. And there are good commercial reasons for doing it that way - extend your player base and you get more money - simple. I'll be curious to see if they actually succeed in retaining the old gamers along with the new. My belief is that there is room for everyone at the trough - action RPG'ers, turn-based whatever, and that no game cane be everything to everyone. DA:O was a huge success (?) so clearly more "cerebral" RPGs do still have a place. So retains those, and also develop other action RPGs - which are clearly marketed as such. I will still buy this (probably - unless I hear really dire reports from here), but if this trend continues, this will likely be my last Bioware game.

Elder Scroll has always been action RPG from the point of view that the fights is action.

In no way, NWN1&2 or DAO are action games. For sure the tactics elements help a little but all are game where you click and see the result and using pausing is often required.

In no way the demo show more of an action game, I wonder if time will show the Demo is really faster than DAO, myself I used pause a lot during the demo and didn't invest much the tactics setup, not worthing for such a small demo. I never felt overloaded by time, it's frantic but I didn't felt the fights faster than in DAO.

Allright, I'm a BioWare fan - this is well known around here - but even I can see that this is a load of crap. The Origins aspect was brilliant, possibly the best part about DA1, and everyone knows it. They're obviously avoiding it because of the huge costs.

As for why people quit after 30 min? I'll tell you exactly why: EA marketing going all out BLOOD AND ACTION!! They managed to lure in a bunch of action players that can't stand RPGs, that quit because it wasn't Gears of War.

DA2 will not be Gears of War either, despite the changes, so this won't affect anything. The only result is us getting a poor start compared to DA1.

Seems to me there are more people calculating their DPS in WoW than have ever bought an entire BioWare series. That suggests to me that stats aren't a problem at all, if someone wants to play the game.

That's not to say game developers shouldn't try to improve the accessibility of their product. They should, but I think you need to be careful reading too much into metrics. For example, we know the largest group of players picked a warrior. We also know (Gaider has explained this many times) they look very carefully at optional content that isn't seen by every player because that isn't efficient. That's clearly correct but if you take that to the logical conclusion and only do a warrior, you suddenly don't have much on an RPG.

Can BioWare compete as a pure action developer? I don't know - even though there is a potentially bigger market, there's also a lot more competition. As an (single-player) western RPG developer, they only have one major competitor (Bethsoft) who do a completely different style.

In fact, Bethsoft is an interesting comparison. For all people accuse Bethsoft of dumbing down, their games have a lot of stats. Oddly, they seem to be able sell their games quite well.

Its all up to the buyers who support the company and give feedback. So far the mass market loves the games they make. I recently had a discussion with a friend about fallout 3 and new vegas and he hated the play style. He was pissed because you had to use skills to access computers and to open locks. He said it ruined immersion when you didn't met a skill check when you could just use strength or intelligence. He then had to spend hours acquiring xp to up his skills. He hated it.

Valid points from someone who never played an rpg and just wants to play it as an fps. Most of us knew what we were buying and had no problem with the skills.
So yes Bethsoft uses stats and is still successful.Every time a publisher and developer lie and wont just come out ans say yes we dumbed it down. I lose rescept for them. Games with stats and inventory that require thinking still sell.

It's the dishonesty I can't appreciate. Not so much to us, because I know they have to wrap it in sugar - but to themselves.

I swear, it's like they really believe - themselves - that they're improving the game with every decision made to broaden the appeal.

Is that really what quality at Bioware has become?

Back
Top Bottom