Shadowrun Returns - Passes $1M, New Update

Dhruin

SasqWatch
As the Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter cruises past $1M, Harebrained Schemes has added a new video update offering a $1.5M stretch goal. Jordan explains they don't want to add additional features because they believe they have the right feature set. Additional funds will go to increase the depth of the games through additional content.
If $1.5M is reached, backers will receive an exclusive quest line that ties the Shadowrun SNES and Genesis games together - head over to watch the video.
More information.

If $1.5M is reached, backers will receive an exclusive quest line that ties the Shadowrun SNES and Genesis games together - head over to watch the video.

Terrible, terrible idea! This needs to be stopped, before it becomes a trend. The videogame market is already polluted with Day-0 DLCs, preorder DLCs and other crap, no need for more of that. A game should offer the same experience to every player, no matter where or when you purchased it or how much did it cost to you. Pledge canceled.

Terrible, terrible idea! This needs to be stopped, before it becomes a trend. The videogame market is already polluted with Day-0 DLCs, preorder DLCs and other crap, no need for more of that. A game should offer the same experience to every player, no matter where or when you purchased it or how much did it cost to you. Pledge canceled.

I think they will change their mind, seeing many people disliking this...I hope you will then pledge again.

What in the hell were they thinking when they came up with that idea for a goal? New pledges aren't going to be enticed by additional secret content, they want the content that covers the main game to be good. I just don't get that new goal at all and now it makes me wonder about these guys.

I wonder - will this be the first Kickstarter campaign that I downgrade my pledge????

Don't agree to you above. It is a non Shadowrun-Return-related bonus mission. It's not adding any depth to the game itself or stealing anything from normal players of that campaign. It's a link to some old, long gone games many of the backers presumably don't even played before. Did you ever complain that normal buyers of F:NV didn't get Avellone's comic strip as well? 'though that has even more connection to the game itself rather then being based in the same gaming universe? We're living in digital world, there are no reasons against digital goodies. Especially if they don't have influence on the game itself. Can't remember for Wasteland 2 creating such a strong reaction when they announced their red boot dlc for backers.

I agree with this.

The fact that those who pirate get a superior game compared to those who buy it is a major fail.

I will not cancel my pledge yet, but I don't want to support these kind of schemes.

I personally don't have an issue with extra content going to those that paid in advance for such a project. I do, however, think such extra funds could maybe be put to better use, like denying pirates access. I get so sick of hearing about these thieves that just steal stuff like this, with no consequences whatsoever. It really ticks me off.

-Carn

The cool thing about this is 90 percent of the pledgers are saying"absolutly no special content.In sure the guy making Shadow Run will realize they made a bad call.Tis probably a very stressful month for these guys,yhey are whatching there dream game come to furition ,and when the hit 1 mil it was like a shot of morphine so they scrambled for 1.5 and bonus content seemed like the best option under the pressure for the update. They seem like a stand up company and im sure the got there heads out of there buts after a goodnight sleep.

I personally don't have an issue with extra content going to those that paid in advance for such a project. I do, however, think such extra funds could maybe be put to better use, like denying pirates access. I get so sick of hearing about these thieves that just steal stuff like this, with no consequences whatsoever. It really ticks me off.

-Carn

Are you seriously suggesting using Kickstarter money to implement some sort of DRM? Put every dime into content, non-exclusive content.

I was checking through IGN to see what they had to say about the indie projects that hit over a million dollars and they have ZERO information on Wasteland 2 or Shadowrun Retun .I was pissed ,how much exposure those projects would get if they mentioned somthing. Over a million dollars donated for a game that dosent exsist is worth a mention.

Can't remember for Wasteland 2 creating such a strong reaction when they announced their red boot dlc for backers.

Since they didn't. You obviously didn't get that joke.

Question: Will the game contain any form of day-one or small DLC (not expansion pack-sized ones post-release)?

Brian Fargo: Hell no there won't be day one DLC… everything is going to the game as it should be. I feel like I've been taken advantage of in other games in which they tried to sell me stuff that was already completed. This isn't a free to play model. Now of course I might insist on a red boots DLC pack for fun.

For an explanation of the red boots watch the very first video of Wasteland 2 on Kickstarter.

Haha ok, anyone else notice that most of the posts, in the kickstarter comments for the project, in support or defense of this bonus are from the same two people? I guess those two people REALLY want some exclusive content and have a lot of time to lobby for it.

Are you seriously suggesting using Kickstarter money to implement some sort of DRM? Put every dime into content, non-exclusive content.

DRM like Steam perhaps, or codes that have to be entered to validate the game? Absolutely. I'll do DRM in a heartbeat if it denies even one measley, sneaky, coniving thief access to a game that I paid for and they didn't. The thought of even one person stealing something they didn't pay for just sticks in my craw.

-Carn

Wow - I refreshed the kickstarter page and the number actually went down a few hundred. First time I've ever seen a pledge total drop on a kickstarter project; granted it'll probably zip back up well above that the next time I check it.

Wow - I refreshed the kickstarter page and the number actually went down a few hundred. First time I've ever seen a pledge total drop on a kickstarter project; granted it'll probably zip back up well above that the next time I check it.

I'm starting to regret my pledge as well, and I can see why people are backing out (or at least reducing their pledges).

Exclusive content for backers, pay more for a "special ability", pay more for DLC like features ("in game DocWagon")... This is the sort of shit you expect from EA, not some insignificant developer.

Look at how Brian Fargo react when asked to do similar stunts. I would probably be better of going back on my pledge to Shadowrun, using the money saved to up my Wasteland pledge.

Nice, you can actually withdraw your pledge when companies pull that DLC crap!?

Nice, you can actually withdraw your pledge when companies pull that DLC crap!?

Up until a certain point yeah. I won't link to the info on how to because I don't want to encourage people to cancel, but if you really feel like you need to for whatever reason it's not to hard to find out how.

I would urge people who feel so strongly about this issue that they are considering cancelling their pledge to at least give it a couple days more to see if they change their mind in response to negative feedback. Yes, money does talk but sometimes its OK to whisper something before you shout it.

I'm starting to regret my pledge as well, and I can see why people are backing out (or at least reducing their pledges).

Exclusive content for backers, pay more for a "special ability", pay more for DLC like features ("in game DocWagon")… This is the sort of shit you expect from EA, not some insignificant developer.

Look at how Brian Fargo react when asked to do similar stunts. I would probably be better of going back on my pledge to Shadowrun, using the money saved to up my Wasteland pledge.

Ok, look. I need help understanding why this is so evil and bad. I take an economic risk on a product that doesn't exist yet and might conceivably not happen for any number of reasons. Why should I be unhappy that the creator decides to offer me an extra reward or more/special product for taking a risk in supporting him? What in the world is "shit" about this? What makes this worthy of turning your back on the project and (if many many people did the same) ensuring that a shadowrun game would not happen at all?

From my point of view the reaction is way out of proportion and sounds like a really bad hissy fit leftover from Mass Effect. Usually when I see complaints about day-one DLC its fits into a perception that the buyer is being nickel-and-dimed, essentially "cheated" into paying more than they would just buying a single game. But that doesn't fit in here. There's no day-one product available to buyers, just an extra reward for people who took a risk; these aren't the same things. I'm honestly flummoxed and can only guess that you and others looked and said to themselves "the game has been divided more than one piece, evil! EVIL!!!" My word what an overreaction.

Since they didn't. You obviously didn't get that joke.

For an explanation of the red boots watch the very first video of Wasteland 2 on Kickstarter.
I realized that quite well as I am a backer and monitoring the project since pre-launch. However, I mixed up two things.
Pledge $15
Digital Downloable copy of game DRM free for PC or MAC OSX or Linux. This low price only available for those who helped fund. Also your party will start with a unique and quirky skill. (It won't affect game balance.)
But it's definitely what was critized in one of the first postings: A special DLC (or bonus content, whatsoever) for backers, not available for normal customers after Kickstarter ends. So I don't understand why doing the same in a far less game-related way is far worse than what Fargo did. For me, that's inconsequence. Or the Fargo nostalgia bonus, because he is definitely the better salesman compared to the communications developing nation HBG.

What is this about? Isn't this Shadowrun?

Back
Top Bottom