Siege of Dragonspear - Reviews

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Destructoid reviews Siege of Dragonspear and doesn't see much of an issue with the characters, nor with the writing, but notes it is a rather linear game with some serious bugs, awarding it with a 7/10.

There's a ton of content here, though it's much more linear than what Baldur's Gate fans are used to. Don't take this, however, as a downside. Personally, I enjoyed the structure. There are still areas to explore and plenty of secrets to find, but the core plot has a stricter path. It makes sense, since they have a definitive starting and ending point, and allowed for some tighter writing overall. Plus, if you want some more open story lines, you can always enjoy the originals!

Chances are, if you're curious about Siege of Dragonspear, there is one question you need answered: how is the writing? The short answer is that it is good. There are some high points and certainly some low points, but overall it's just fine. If you are going to spend your days analyzing and cross-referencing it then you will likely find more things to hate than me. But as a long-time fan who has fond memories of spending afternoons with the spiral-bound manual of Baldur's Gate 2, it's an enjoyable romp.

It's a different sort of game when compared to its brothers, but it works very well in the space it occupies. It's unfortunate that there are quite a handful of technical issues, because otherwise this is a great excuse to head back to the Sword Coast.
And then there are 2 less positive reviews.

Matthew Hopkins News scores it 33%:

Siege of Dragonspear goes on. An on. And on. With every linearly presented area one expects an array of clumsy stereotypes and leaden writing. Some dwarves are in a nearby cave. They are unable to deal with an infestation of undead themselves so the player character has to do it for them. We meet a hill giant called Semahl. A ‘gentle giant’, remarks Viconia, with uncharacteristic kindness. By uncharacteristic, your author means that Viconia is a drow cleric of Shar!
And Quad Nine, 4.5/10

Dragonspear felt like someone tried to make a new Baldur’s Gate game without ever bothering to play the old games. Between the confusing and boring writing, bland and generic locations, and myriad of bugs there’s no way any fan of the original games should play this when so many better options exist. Beamdog have said they want to make a third Baldur’s Gate game in the future, and if Dragonspear is what they do when given creative license, then perhaps it’s best the series remains dormant.
More information.

Wow, that Matthew fellow needs to lighten up. He's acting as if Baldur's Gate is a political game about real life events. Drow being hated is not new to the Forgotten Realms. In fact, the hate is very well founded, considering a good chunk of their species serves a very, very evil goddess (Lolth). This is comic book EVIL, not evil from a point of view. It's "bwahaha" EVIL because it's just.. EVIL. It's a villain. Their entire society is built around murder and torture, because that's just how it goes.

This is not Muslims, Christians and Atheists, nor refugees in Europe. It's a rather black and white setting that is far removed from such issues. In fact, that's one of the reasons why I enjoy it as a form of escapism - it's so far removed from what's going on around us.

Wow, that Matthew fellow needs to lighten up. He's acting as if Baldur's Gate is a political game about real life events. Drow being hated is not new to the Forgotten Realms. In fact, the hate is very well founded, considering a good chunk of their species serves a very, very evil goddess (Lolth). This is comic book EVIL, not evil from a point of view. It's "bwahaha" EVIL because it's just.. EVIL. It's a villain. Their entire society is built around murder and torture, because that's just how it goes.

This is not Muslims, Christians and Atheists, nor refugees in Europe. It's a rather black and white setting that is far removed from such issues. In fact, that's one of the reasons why I enjoy it as a form of escapism - it's so far removed from what's going on around us.

and do you find that surprising? Fantasy games... well, most games really... don't go along well with the SJW tendencies of today's Western societies.

To be honest Destructoid review sounds the most balance. I haven't played the game but the other two reviews read like they read the negative comments on the web and just repeated them.
-
Would be good for some players to actually comment which review(s) are most accurate.

I agree. There are some things worth complaining about in the game, racism towards dark elves isn't one of them. I guess Matthew never read the novels about Drizzt. And yes, in the Forgotten Realms, dwarves are most often found underground.

Heh, no kidding.
“The upper levels are packed with refugees, and the odor of unwashed bodies keeps you on the main floor.”

Regardless of the intent this unfortunate text message is capable of extremely racist interpretations, particularly in light of current real world events.
Oh good grief.

To be honest Destructoid review sounds the most balance. I haven't played the game but the other two reviews read like they read the negative comments on the web and just repeated them.
-
Would be good for some players to actually comment which review(s) are most accurate.

I would agree (after 8 hours) with the Destructoid review the most (of these three). The Quad nine review has some valid points, though I find many of the things it points out overexaggeratedly negative. The other review is well. . . interesting.

and do you find that surprising? Fantasy games… well, most games really… don't go along well with the SJW tendencies of today's Western societies.

It sounds like Maylander is saying those things aren't really present in SoD to the degree that the reviewer would have you believe.

Sometimes people are simply determined to see something that isn't really there, and this Matthew Hopkins guy is the perfect candidate.

Click on that link and look at the categories listed on the right side of the page. Better yet, scroll down to the bottom and look at the tags that are listed for his so-called "review".

This entry was posted in Conservative, Cultural Libertarianism, Equality, Feminism, Free Speech, Game Reviews, Gamergate, NotYourShield, Racism, Thomas Sowell by Matthew Hopkins.

Hopkins needs to stick to writing blogs and leave the reviews to people who can focus on the actual game.

Heard this is ridden with liberal garbage, fuck sake :D

Heard this is ridden with liberal garbage, fuck sake :D

Heh, let's just say that if you are of a certain mindset, say, you are rather enthusiastic about feminism, and feminist ideals, or self-identify yourself as a "sjw" - social justice warrior - then you probably will find this game much more appealing in its political and social themes…I've noticed when reading reviews of this game, that many who seem to be very positive about it, those who gush about the game, identify with those kinds of political persuasions. I think that is a fair statement.

Heh, let's just say that if you are of a certain mindset, say, you are rather enthusiastic about feminism, and feminist ideals, or self-identify yourself as a "sjw" - social justice warrior - then you probably will find this game much more appealing in its political and social themes…I've noticed when reading reviews of this game, that many who seem to be very positive about it, those who gush about the game, identify with those kinds of political persuasions. I think that is a fair statement.

So my being a libertarian (in the older sense) with strong egalitarian principles, who believes in freedom of speech (no 'no platforming'), whilst also being comfortable with other peoples race and sexuality and not constantly looking for the slightest thing that I don't like being presented positively. All explains why I'm just okay with the game, whilst at the same time not 'gushing' about it.
Whatever, as the young folks say.

I've noticed when reading reviews of this game, that many who seem to be very positive about it, those who gush about the game, identify with those kinds of political persuasions. I think that is a fair statement.

I don't think my political persuasions have anything to do with how I feel about this game, but then I'm not entirely sure what a "social justice warrior" means in this context. I don't have an issue with anyone who follows the Golden Rule, regardless of race, gender, sexual preference, religion or any other characteristic I can think of.

That said up front, there was one NPC character with whom you interact briefly, whose dialog felt odd. Not because the substance of the conversation offended me; it was more that I had just encountered this person, who is not really involved in your character's storyline, and she was suddenly telling me very personal things. It was not very elegantly done, but at the time I thought, "huh, that was odd," and went back to playing.

A few days later I went online and saw that there was a big brouhaha about this character. I think it was overblown, but I am old and more concerned about the teenagers on the corner with their baggy pants and rockin' roll music than with the politics of gaming. What I know about "SJW" vs. "GG" I have learned in the last week or so, and that ain't much, because I can't muster the energy to care.

I have a few criticisms of the game: The last hour or so feels a bit rushed, in that there is a twist which doesn't feel organic. I can't explain without spoiling the ending, but to me it felt too abrupt; characters who'd treated you one way suddenly treated you differently, and the ostensible reason didn't ring true for me.

There is one NPC in Baldur's Gate whose voice actor seems to have been dropped in from a stoner comedy. I'm sure some people found it amusing, but I ended that dialog as quickly as I could and moved on. It is entirely optional (as is the NPC who overshares, for that matter), and I was past it in about 3 minutes. I'm sure I had a few other quibbles with the content while I was playing, but those are the only things that come to mind immediately.

As far as "bugs," on a couple of occasions towards the end, my game reset the difficulty to "story mode" from the setting I'd chosen (core rules), and until I realized it was easy to switch back, I was most annoyed. (You can change the difficulty using a slider, usually, but if you check the "story mode" box, the slider is disabled. Un-checking that box brings it back. "Story mode," incidentally, is intended for people who don't want to be bothered with combat, and just want to advance the story, or, I guess, if you run into a combat that's simply too hard even on easier difficulty settings. Personally, I prefer to reload and figure out better tactics, but…)

I had one (or maybe two?) crash(es?) to desktop but both were pretty early on, and it didn't happen again. (For reference, I'm playing on an early 2015 Macbook Pro, running OS 10.11.1).

I understand from the Beamdog forums that other people have experienced more bugs than I did, particularly in multiplayer. I can also see how some people criticize the game as being too linear, but I never got the sense that the main story line was any more time-sensitive than it was in Baldur's Gate. It's definitely not as "open" as BG2. I'd say it's closer to Throne of Bhaal than the other games in the series, as far as linearity goes.

I've also read criticism that the events in Siege of Dragonspear are too significant not to be mentioned in Shadows of Amn. Without spoiling the story, what transpires is a pretty big deal in the sense of how it would be perceived by residents of the Sword Coast and neighboring regions, and of course nobody in BG2 says anything to you about what happened. I don't see how Beamdog could have written a game that would capture a player's interest without breaking continuity between the games to some extent, but I suppose they could have made the story a bit less… epic? It didn't bother me while I was playing. In retrospect, I guess they could written a story that didn't involve a region-affecting crusade, but it would likely have been more like Tales of the Sword Coast - a dungeon crawl without much actual plot, I think.

The good things: I think Beamdog did a very good job of capturing the spirit of the series. It was great to hear new dialog from characters like Minsc, Dynaheir and Viconia. Hell, I even enjoyed the few lines I heard from Khalid, and I never liked that guy.

I could be mistaken, but it seemed to me that there's a good bit of new art, particularly in the wilderness areas. There's a greater variety to the trees and rocky areas, for example. I know that sounds like a minor thing, but to me it spoke to the effort Beamdog put into the details. There are a fair number of new monsters, and it was nice to see some of them for the first time in an Infinity Engine game. I thought the story was interesting up to the last hour (and the actual end of the game, at least the part over which you have control, worked ok for me). There were enough side quests, and I probably missed a few, particularly in the first two "chapters" of the game. Again, I didn't really play with the new NPCs, and I think each of them have some sort of minor quest/storyline.

Speaking of which, the new NPCs were fine; I used a three of them for a while, but ended up going back to recruit NPCs with whom I was familiar from Baldur's Gate (and one from BG:EE). When I play through again, I'll likely switch that up and use mostly the new folks. The main reason I went with "old" NPCs was that I was playing a mage-thief, and the older NPCs fit my party better. That and I have a soft spot for Jaheira and Minsc, and decided not to send Dynaheir into combat by herself… Viconia and Neera roudned things out.

I have read that certain returning NPCs have been given a personality makeover, but I really didn't see it. Specifically, I didn't notice any real change to Jaheira or Viconia; I can't speak to Safana, because I never really used her in past play-throughs, and didn't keep her around long this time either.

I really don't think I can pay the game a higher compliment than that it truly felt like I was returning to the original game world, and I hope Beamdog get the chance to make additional content with the engine/world/ruleset. The game isn't perfect by any means, but I must have played through the originals a dozen times - we're talking hundreds of hours in real time - and I honestly wasn't expecting Siege of Dragonspear to measure up. It did.

If you liked the original games, I think you'll like Siege of Dragonspear, though of course your mileage may vary if you are more attuned to the sort of criticism that some of the reviews linked in the original post make.

Very nicely written. Mirrors my thoughts except I am only half way and decided to put it on pause and wait for a patch that was announced for this week.

Back
Top Bottom