Genshin Impact - Review @ MMORPG

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
MMORPG is reviewing Genshin Impact:

The RPG Files - Genshin Impact Review In Progress

When I first heard about Genshin Impact, I dismissed it the moment I heard they included gacha elements because those games often quickly lead to a hard block in progression that requires you spend money to get stronger characters in order to progress. If you aren't familiar with the term "gacha", that's okay, I'll explain it a little more thoroughly when my full review is ready. Thankfully, Genshin Impact is considerably more generous to new players than I expected and thus far, I've put a bunch of hours into the game and haven't yet felt compelled to spend a single dime.

[...]
More information.

Yeah I don't think the developer cares what reviewers think anymore. The game is a success and according to a recent article it made $60 million on mobile alone.

Link - https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...made-USD60m-in-its-first-week-on-mobile-alone
Link - https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/group/3693985/view/2876069352902984245

I'm not criticizing this post just other watchers opinions on different threads. As for me its a F2P MMO game, and I really don't like those type of games. So I'll pass.

I'm playing it for 40 hours now as a single player action RPG. It is a great exploration game, the story and characters are well written and I'm having fun.
The game features challenging puzzles, too. The game engine is better than most recent games and nearly bug free.
It's like ESO mixed with ELEX-gliding exploration without other players running around.
I would pay money for this game.

Thanks for the info. Anyway it's already well known on this forum as I'm very vocal that I hate MMO's, and games that make you play SP campaigns on servers online. :biggrin:

Firstly, it's absolutely not an MMO. That's been stated many times, but bears repeating.

You don't even unlock any multiplayer components at all until Adventure Rank 16, which represents about 15-20 hours of playtime. (Thinks… isn't that more than the play-time of the average AAA non-RPG?). When you do, you can't use it half the time, as single-player quests/content takes precedence. What little there is, is closer to (say) Dark Souls where you can group up to do something. Or not. I know I haven't.

I had one request to join, which I clicked to ignore. Nothing else.

As for always online, OK, but then so have been several "games of the generation" (supposedly). The trade of is that it is free, and as HiddenX says, it is exceptionally well done. I'd probably say (and this is hard for me to say) it is better than most of the recent Tales games, with which it shares some stylistic DNA.

I still haven't paid a penny, have just passed Adventure Rank 20, and have had a really good 10 days of fun - the game goes out of its way to always give you stuff to do. I just finished the first major story element and am about to move on to the next world region. I expect I'll move on fairly soon (birthday next week, and I know my wife has picked out a couple of RPGs for me), but anyone who enjoys open-world RPGs with good story/characters will find this worth their time.

Good for you. You love the game I'm happy for you.:)

It' still F2P that's what free Online/MMO's with purchases are called. Anyway look at the recent Gearbox God-Fall game I'm not alone in my distaste of online only SP games.

Gamers are like addicts nowadays they always compromise to get their gaming fix.:p

Millions of players can cooperate online on a whim = mmo.

I hit the content cap and am now almost stuck with progress (adventure level 33).
Spent 0 money as all you can buy is stupid lootboxes called "wish".
My world is now level 3, you can't join it. I can however join yours and help you with killing hard bosses. Feel free to add me to your friendlist (ID: 701929746).

This mmo is just a nicelooking bunch of red herrings used to lure in weak willed people who have a gambling addiction or otherwise can't resist an urge to grind.
The first type is obvious as some people will pay thousands till they collect and max every single character.
The second type becomes obvious only later when you discover that for looting bosses and some dungeons you need to spend something called "resin". Once spent it restores by one every 8 minutes IIRC and it's capped on 120. You saw this idiocy in billions of phonetrash avoidware where it's called energy, stamina, or something similar and of course you can refresh it with real $.

As a honeytrap for suckers from a business perspective this mmo deserves every praise. You, just like me, probably won't get manipulated by the system and you'll write oh I didn't need to spend a dime. And by stating that you'll just be their pawn who'll lure in the people who are their real targets.
As it's not a game but a milking machine, in reality it deserves 0/10.

Looks like there is a lot to like but I'll have to pass out of principle. As said above, I'll not support a honeytrap, and even though I don't think I'd be tempted, I'd be bothered a lot by the in-game shop/lottery.
I hated those Black Lion traders in Guild Wars, and I loathed the guy selling DLC in DA:O. Just keep those marketing stunts out of my games - I don't like to be reminded of RL when I try to immerse myself into a fantasy adventure.

Gamesstar checked Genshin Impact 'til the current endgame -> German video

• the game can be finished with the standard characters
  • after 50 hours/adventure level 31 you run against a grind-wall, not a pay wall
  • the best strategy after the initial 50 hours is to play it casually (max. 2-3 hours a day)

You only have to pay in this game if
  • you want to play with a special character at all costs
  • you want to grind a little bit faster (play more than 3 hours a day) after the initial 50 hours

The latter points are not important for me, so I can enjoy a free game.

- Gamestar obviously has no idea that Genshin Impact is supposed to have 7 worlds. Of which are currently available - two. The next one will supposedly unlock at 11.11.
In other words, "the game" currently cannot be finished at all*.

- This is totally not true. It's a paywall and by spending real money on resin you can get adv. level to max as bosses respawn in seconds (each adds +200 to adv level) and all you need is 60 resin to loot a killed one.
If you'll opt to F2P then at about adv. level 36 you'll get stuck with daily 4 "radiant" quests as there will be no exploration based adventure points (chests from trashmobs or puzzles do not respawn).

- The best strategy is to avoid Gamestar.

- That's not quite true. I didn't spend a dime. With normal exploration and questing, additionally the game gave "sorrygems" a few times because of bugs, and today the new event appeared that added 200+ gems… And I spent gems only on the special character draw… Thanks to the so called pity system where if you don't get a gold char after 89 draws you'll get it the next time - I got Venti today. Picproof? Here (wish history from my game):
pic.jpg

Of course I won't be maxing his constelation, that's something one needs to pay2win.

- After the initial 50 hours there are still areas in the world Gamestar did not bother with at all. Ask them if they got the gold (5star) artifact. They didn't. As they solved how many puzzles? None? I bet.
Do me a favor and go turn every stone in the world. And replay today's event 20 times but do not spend resin on it's idiotic loot! The diary counts finished instance, not the resin spent. ;)

Yes, the game is free, but honestly I'd easily pay full price for this title if the gambling system and resin were removed.

---------------------------------------------------------
* - We've already talked about in another thread, yes, you don't need any other character apart from 7 of those the game gives you as a freebie. That's 4 from the story, one from initial free draw (a group of 8 instead of 10 lootboxes), one from the abyss (3rd chamber) and one when you reach adv level 20.

An additional info… For all I know, the game contains only one puzzle impossible to solve solo with standard characters only. You may solo it if you have an additional air based character. I did it today when I got Venti who is air based, it gives a chest to loot, but as I said before, if anyone needs coop, I'm in. The puzzle is here (a stepstone circle and two air pillars):
https://i.postimg.cc/WzBCRDfP/pic.jpg

Last edited:
It's worth a quick read about "gacha" games.

Suffice it to say, I have some suggestions for what they can do with the gacha model, but they probably violate our ToS. :p

I don't have to worry about deciding whether it's an MMO or exploitative or any of that jazz because I watched a few minutes of it in a video and story/writing-wise, I'm not the audience.

Yes, the game is free, but honestly I'd easily pay full price for this title if the gambling system and resin were removed.

I completely agree.

BTW: I got Diluc in my first 20 prayers (not paid) and several 4 star characters as well. I can't level them all.

I will finish the current storyline (2 worlds) and then just move on to the next game.

It's worth a quick read about "gacha" games.

Suffice it to say, I have some suggestions for what they can do with the gacha model, but they probably violate our ToS. :p

It should be a violation of the ToS to say one could say something violating the ToS. And then not say it.

A pibbur who now is uncomfortably curious.

It should be a violation of the ToS to say one could say something violating the ToS. And then not say it.

A pibbur who now is uncomfortably curious.

As a medical man, a pibbur has probably seen x-rays of objects that have received the suggested (yet unspoken) procedure for dealing with gacha games and their producers.

Well I don't have a problem with any "gacha" game as long as your progress is possible without "exclusive dolls" jumping out of lootbox schemes only if you pay billions.
And I did play tons of those, but each loses it's novelty fast. IIRC I've mentioned Harem Heroes on nutaku. Or if you don't want 18+, then Star Trek Timelines on phones.

But there are horrors where you get stuck eventually because you don't have a specific hero. One of such is HunterxHunter on unigame. Wanna win? Pay tons of money to unlock Awakened Killua (you can get ordinary and rare Killua by normal playthrough which aren't as good) and then pwn everything as that one has such abnormally high dodge stat he can practically solo everything. Well, except PvP if you're up against another whale. ;)

As a medical man, a pibbur has probably seen x-rays of objects that have received the suggested (yet unspoken) procedure for dealing with gacha games and their producers.
Ahh.

At this moment in time, a (not exact) quote from my textbook on minor surgery seems not too off topic:

"Fractures of the 4th metacarpal bone (the fourth bone in the middle of the hand, counted from the thumb) is often associated with fractures of the facial skeleton. Usually in 2 different persons. The one with the hand fracture has struck against a wall. The one with the facial fracture stood in front of the wall."

a pibbur who has seen both types of trauma and knows (to some degree) how to treat them.

Well I don't have a problem with any "gacha" game as long as your progress is possible without "exclusive dolls" jumping out of lootbox schemes only if you pay billions.
And I did play tons of those, but each loses it's novelty fast. IIRC I've mentioned Harem Heroes on nutaku. Or if you don't want 18+, then Star Trek Timelines on phones.

But there are horrors where you get stuck eventually because you don't have a specific hero. One of such is HunterxHunter on unigame. Wanna win? Pay tons of money to unlock Awakened Killua (you can get ordinary and rare Killua by normal playthrough which aren't as good) and then pwn everything as that one has such abnormally high dodge stat he can practically solo everything. Well, except PvP if you're up against another whale. ;)

Joxer, you're not supposed to have more than very superficial experience with games like that. :) :) :)

a pibbur who sometimes is joking (not necessarily good joking).

Back
Top Bottom