Mutant Year Zero - Review @ Mortismal Gaming - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Mutant Year Zero - Review @ Mortismal Gaming

Default Mutant Year Zero - Review @ Mortismal Gaming

December 7th, 2021, 19:19
Mortismal Gaming reviews Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden.

Mutant Year Zero: Road To Eden - Review After 100%

loading…

More information.

Redglyph

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)

December 7th, 2021, 19:57
One of the most enjoyable turn-based games I've played in a while. Would highly recommend it.

SSIGuy

An Islander Returned

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

December 7th, 2021, 22:52
The gameplay does look good, but I really wish they hadn't went with the anthropomorphic characters. That's a big turnoff for me.

I just saw there's a demo though so I might give it a try.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)

December 8th, 2021, 02:27
I liked it at first, but it wore thin quickly.

Encounters have a bunch of enemies. If you try to get in and good position and start shooting them up, they'll overwhelm you easily. You need to use your silent weapons to slowly pick apart enemy after enemy until the bunch of enemies is reduced to just a few enemies. Then you can pull out the noisy weapons to finish them off quickly. When you get upgrade options, put them into your silent weapons - going in loud is really not an option in this game.

I eventually got tired of circling around encounters, picking off straggler one by one.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
+1:

December 8th, 2021, 09:47
yeah it's a wierd the steath and fighting combo and the mutants as well…i guess we have to give them props for trying something new…

Dolby

Watchdog

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

December 8th, 2021, 09:48
Still haven't played this game. Shame about the combat.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

Couchpotato

Half Rotten Potato

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)

December 8th, 2021, 10:07
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
I liked it at first, but it wore thin quickly.

Encounters have a bunch of enemies. If you try to get in and good position and start shooting them up, they'll overwhelm you easily. You need to use your silent weapons to slowly pick apart enemy after enemy until the bunch of enemies is reduced to just a few enemies. Then you can pull out the noisy weapons to finish them off quickly. When you get upgrade options, put them into your silent weapons - going in loud is really not an option in this game.

I eventually got tired of circling around encounters, picking off straggler one by one.
This! I wanted to like the game, but it is not really tactical in my opinion, but more of a puzzle solver. So in the end it was a huge disappointment to me. ;-(

Darkheart

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

December 8th, 2021, 10:49
I agree it's not what you would expect, but I still enjoyed it a lot. I think that if you go in with a more stealth approach or mindset you would be pleasantly surprised.

The environments and atmosphere are really good and the game isn't a 100+ hour slog. It's relatively short.

I would certainly recommend it and play until you have a few upgrades.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)

December 8th, 2021, 15:08
Yeah, playing a duck isn't all it's quacked up to be. I'm with @JDR13 on this one. I need to be something that has a human-like appearance. Elves or dwarves are acceptable. Elephant heads, not so much.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)

December 8th, 2021, 15:25
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
Yeah, playing a duck isn't all it's quacked up to be.
Damn.
--
--| sometimes game writer |--

screeg

floating head

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
+1:

December 8th, 2021, 17:23
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
Yeah, playing a duck isn't all it's quacked up to be. I'm with @JDR13 on this one. I need to be something that has a human-like appearance. Elves or dwarves are acceptable. Elephant heads, not so much.
Liked the pun

I didn't have any issues with that. Happy to play as a tiefling, dwarf, aasimar, duck, horse,… That isn't really important to me. If you can get past that, it's quite a fun game though.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)

December 8th, 2021, 17:28
This game is like a beautiful birthday cake: when you cut it you realize the internal brown filling is not chocolate at all.
--
SSI Gold Box-style game, we are working on.

mercy

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

December 8th, 2021, 19:59
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
This game is like a beautiful birthday cake: when you cut it you realize the internal brown filling is not chocolate at all.
Nutella instead ?
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
+1:

December 9th, 2021, 05:29
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
I agree it's not what you would expect, but I still enjoyed it a lot. I think that if you go in with a more stealth approach or mindset you would be pleasantly surprised.
Yeah, if the game had been up front saying that I'll be doing it stealthy and using those big guns only to clean up the last few opponents, I'm pretty sure I would have liked it a lot more. As is, I "wasted" upgrades on the noisy weapons, making the harder difficulties all but impossible. Three people with weapons that do 6 points of damage each aren't going to bring down an enemy with 20 hit points. That soured me pretty bad.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
+1:

December 10th, 2021, 03:38
I gotta disagree with you guys on this one. I loved this game when I beat it years ago. I remember it having a great atmosphere. The environment art was oozing with subtle details that did an impressive amount of storytelling without a word said or written.

I get what some of you are saying about playing a character you can't associate with, I always have a hard time playing female humans let alone something like the space goats in WoW but I didn't get that vibe here. I was following these characters, not being them. Their uniqueness let the limited writing do some exploration and I enjoyed it for what it was. (and some fun jokes)

The stealth before combat critiques are fair but I didn't mind it as a one off try. I've played almost every turn based tactics rpg since the gold box games and once I got the hang of it I enjoyed the combat in this game too. I don't want every game to work like this but I appreciated they got something unique to work well.

My recommendation is try it if you haven't played it yet, it is a good game if you're in the mood for something with just a few twists to the tried and true.

LuckyCarbon

RollPGs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

December 10th, 2021, 17:29
Hey, it's the only real Gamma World type game out there, maybe ever made! We need more Gamma World games, if not familiar with it, it was TSR/WotC's second fiddle to D&D.

Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
The gameplay does look good, but I really wish they hadn't went with the anthropomorphic characters. That's a big turnoff for me.

I just saw there's a demo though so I might give it a try.

Tactician

Watchdog

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
+1:

December 10th, 2021, 17:35
For everyone put off by thinking there playing anthropomorphic mutants in Mutant Year Zero, highly recommended is playing the super fun tabletop RPG Gamma World, play one or two campaigns in that setting, then play Mutant Year Zero. Gamma World is one of the most entertaining and fun settings ever, and playing it will make you wish for a video game adaptation, and Mutant year Zero is the closest, even a lot closer then Wasteland or Fallout, besides one module/mod made for Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures from 1993ish lol.

Tactician

Watchdog

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

December 10th, 2021, 17:57
Yea, not sure why, but some games seem to be doing a thing to appeal to that weird "furries" genre weird niche thing that is part of fringe culture, this isn't the only game that I have seen that seems to be appealing to that niche. It's weird, not something I can relate to at all.
--
"Peace is the virtue of civilization. War is its crime.”
-Victor Hugo
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404

Arkadia7

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

December 10th, 2021, 21:56
Originally Posted by Arkadia7 View Post
Yea, not sure why, but some games seem to be doing a thing to appeal to that weird "furries" genre weird niche thing that is part of fringe culture, this isn't the only game that I have seen that seems to be appealing to that niche. It's weird, not something I can relate to at all.
That's not what this game is doing at all. If anything, it's similar to TMNT. Really enjoyed my first playthrough. Haven't gone back to checkout any of the DLC though.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

slymer

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

December 13th, 2021, 11:31
Please don't forget that this game came out of a pen & paper role playing setting !
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Mutant Year Zero - Review @ Mortismal Gaming