The Best Part of a cRPG is...

Maybe you don't have to turn every thread into this stalker-like obsession, SJ? I mean, it's cute that you're obsessed with me and how I work as a human being - but it's probably not particularly interesting to everyone else.
I don't see why your opinion wouldn't be interesting to everyone else. You did just speak of it yourself.
I mean, I don't mind so much when it's my own thread - but this is actually a very interesting thread - and I doubt MadGamer appreciates you ruining it.
Again, I don't see how speaking about your opinion ruins a thread. That's exactly what you're doing, isn't it? I'm just helping you out a bit. There's obviously a lot to type out. Many hands make light work, as they say.
If my ways bother you so much, there's probably a lesson to be learned.
I didn't say I was bothered! I didn't say if this was good or bad. It seems you decided for yourself this fear of challenge is a bad thing.
In any case, grow up a little and consider just letting others be who they are.
I wouldn't have you any other way!

I think I agree with every post in this thread to some extent, lots of good points.

The most fun to me in an RPG would be primarily two things, progression/ character building and an engaging world/story. Of course progression is tied to combat most of the time, and like many have mentioned if combat is too easy progression becomes moot.

When it comes to progression and itemization I would say the infinity games and PoE hits a good sweet spot for me, where rare artefacts and unique weapons make a difference and aren't plentiful enough to be boring like in ARPG loot systems like the one in DOS.

I prefer games without scaling, I think PB does this well. I had a lot of fun running from enemies the first 10-20 hours of Elex, and it felt rewarding when I finally was able to beat many of my old tormentors. I still kept avoiding some though, and it wasn't until the last hours of the game with a pretty much maxed out character and the best equipment that I started to feel a tad OP. Thing is, that's perfectly fine to me of I've spent all that time and effort building my character as long as it doesn't happen until far enough into the game. I played a Berzerker, I've seen people mentioning that power spike coming too early of you go cleric.

If the story is good enough and the world interesting enough, I can also enjoy a game greatly in spite of lackluster combat. T:ToN would be a good example, combat was never really challenging apart from one fight mid game, but I still greatly enjoyed it.

If the progression is really interesting, like with M&B where you go from a merchant with 10 guards to a vassal leading 50 to a powerful lord leading 100's, AND the combat is fun I can play for hours with no story at all except for the one I make myself.

Best is when a game has both good progression and story of course, the last one I played that really hit the spot for me was PoE with expansions.

I would guess we all have different ideas of what a reward is.

To me, the best reward would be the combination of the "big three" things that I mentioned as my best parts of a CRPG.

I mean, if a game is very challenging - but rewards me with a proper sense of progression, immersion and exploration - and underpins them all with a great narrative - then I'm very likely to be willing to invest and overcome that challenge.

It should be noted, however, that very, very few singleplayer games feel "challenging" to me.

An interesting challenge is EXTREMELY hard to accomplish when you're up against the AI - especially when you have to appeal to a wide segment of the audience.

For instance, games like Dark Souls aren't challenging at all - because they're so predictable. They have to be, because it's not going to be a fun game if only 1% of the people buying it can overcome the challenges.

So, instead of meaningful challenge - Dark Souls just requires more work and more grinding.

Which is fine if you enjoy that kind of content.

So, unless you're an extremely competent game designer - it's going to be very hard to create an appropriate challenge level for me in the kind of games I prefer to play.

But, that's where multiplayer comes into the picture - because when you're up against another human being - you can no longer easily predict what you have to do to win.
You never played against a chess program. But ok it's not valid point, game developers don't have the time to achieve such depth and diversity, and not only because they need bother with more complex rules.

You are perhaps too smart and too skilled for video games, so XCOM1&2 at higher difficulty, first play, not reading any guide/advice, was a walk in the park for you?

You started cover the topic of "what is difficulty". You evoked the non predictability. I see your point but would translate it differently.

Non predictability is related in part to learning and difficulty curve. Yes it's an important part of difficulty level feeling. If you have an instant learning ability, and then you are clearly among very rare genius (not a sarcasm, a fact, but I admit I tend not bear genius people), then learning curve are pointless for you because you learn without notice, and find all new tactics without notice because you do it too fast and even without noticing it.

But I doubt many players are genius, very smart isn't genius from far, and with instant learning abilities there's probably better to do than play some video game, but ok to each their own. I would suggest genius players to find another activity than video games, because they tend be targeted for more than a tiny fraction of the humanity.

So in a more conventional context, learning curve is a major aspect for the difficulty feeling, at least for me. If I play the same tactics all along, it's very boring, no matter how long it is to beat a combat. How avoid that I play the same tactic all along, there's three main tools:
- No OP hole or deliberately avoid them.
- Learning curve requiring constantly find new tools/tactics and new adaptation.
- Diversity, but offering new problems involving new tools/tactics.

Your point about non predictability leads me to another point. The possibility of errors and the concentration requirement. Both are linked to rules/mechanism complexity, and for me, are another important part of the difficulty feeling. The more it's possible to do errors, the more you need be concentrated. Let say you have choose among 20 micro tactics, it will be different if it's among 40 micro tactics. And what's changing the concentration level it's when one enemy action makes invalid those that was the best choice before this enemy action.

The more the design involves such elements, and the higher is the number of micro tactic tools you need consider, then the higher is the concentration requirement, and for me the higher is the difficulty feeling.

This difficulty feeling mechanism, concentration, could be in part or sometimes an illusion, you suspect a difficulty boost your concentration, and feel it harder without notice it wasn't necessary. An illusion but the perception is real, and this perception is related to difficulty feeling.

So I don't know what defines the difficulty perception, and I'm quite sure it vary among people, and not just because of a skill level. But for me I consider there's three keys:
- Diversity
- Rules complexity during combat
- Possibility of errors.

And there's one relatively safe indicator, the concentration level required or that I request instinctively to myself, which is directly linked to difficulty perception.

That's why, for me, a game where I lost almost no combat can still feel quite difficult. I think some players are just insensitive to this aspect, and judge difficulty on different aspects like duration of combats or number of combats lost.

The aspect of combats lost and the non predictability you evoked is leading to another point. A lot of players (I suspect mainly strategical players) drag tactical games into randomness. Randomness lead to non predictability and lost combats. I dislike a lot this current trend.

You never played against a chess program. But ok it's not valid point, game developers don't have the time to achieve such depth and diversity, and not only because they need bother with more complex rules.

Yes, I've played against Chess programs. Problem with Chess is that I find it incredibly boring and absolutely not worth my time. That said, the ruleset is simple enough that an AI can be incredibly strong.

I despise simplistic rulesets, because they're usually made for games without much of a gameplay horizon.

I mean, what's the gameplay of Chess? You move pieces around and solve mathematic equations related to potential moves of the opponent.

Whoop-de-do :)

Chess is probably the perfect example of difficulty with exactly zero rewards when you're playing against an AI.

There's no progression, no exploration, no immersion and no story.

The only thing you could possibly take from Chess is that you beat a computer in an incredibly boring game. For that to happen in a modern Chess game, you'd essentially have to dedicate your life to master the game on top.

That's not for me :)

You are perhaps too smart and too skilled for video games, so XCOM1&2 at higher difficulty, first play, not reading any guide/advice, was a walk in the park for you?

No, I'm not too smart or too skilled. I'm just extremely experienced when it comes to games I enjoy and I have an above average intelligence.

X-Com is too dependent on random rolls for me to find the challenge properly satisfying. At least, the new ones are. The older ones were better.

Even if you execute your plan with 100% perfection in modern X-Com, you can still lose the entire battle because of the abysmally simplistic tactical rules and RNG infestation.

That said, I usually play on one of the higher difficulties regardless. I just save scum here and there :)

Non predictability is related in part to learning and difficulty curve. Yes it's an important part of difficulty level feeling. If you have an instant learning ability, and then you are clearly among very rare genius (not a sarcasm, a fact, but I admit I tend not bear genius people), then learning curve are pointless for you because you learn without notice, and find all new tactics without notice because you do it too fast and even without noticing it.

Haha, I'm not a genius. I don't really believe in that concept - unless we're talking the autistic kind.

No, I've just played games for something like 35 years - and I'm passionate about CRPGs and game design in general. Specifically when it comes to CRPGs and their systems, including the tactical aspect.

So, I have a very, very good instinct for what designers intend when they create rules and mechanics.

So, in that way - I will pick up most systems in modern CRPGs very quickly, and if I didn't - I'd have to be a little retarded considering how much time and energy I've spent investing in such games :)

So in a more conventional context, learning curve is a major aspect for the difficulty feeling, at least for me. If I play the same tactics all along, it's very boring, no matter how long it is to beat a combat. How avoid that I play the same tactic all along, there's three main tools:
- No OP hole or deliberately avoid them.
- Learning curve requiring constantly find new tools/tactics and new adaptation.
- Diversity, but offering new problems involving new tools/tactics.

Well, I guess I see your point.

I enjoy a steep learning curve when it makes sense, and when it's not full of arbitrary rules or "puzzle elements".

I hate playing "guess-the-mind-of-the-designer" - but I love playing really challenging games where the designer had a good understanding of both strategic and tactical challenges.

You no predictability leads me to another point. The possibility of errors and the concentration requirement. Both are linked to rules/mechanism complexity, and for me, are another important part of the difficulty feeling. The more it's possible to do errors, the more you need be concentrated. Let say you have choose among 20 micro tactics, it will be different if it's among 40 micro tactics. And what's changing the concentration level it's when one enemy action makes invalid those that was the best choice before this enemy action.

The more the design involves such elements, and the higher is the number of micro tactic tools you need consider, then the higher is the concentration requirement, and for me the higher is the difficulty feeling.

Yes, that I would agree with. But, for added complexity to feel interesting - to me - it has to be non-redundant.

I mean, I don't enjoy complexity for the sake of complexity.

To put it another way, I prefer complexity that's presented in an uncomplicated way.

Otherwise, the challenge becomes more about book-keeping and less about the strategy or tactics.

This difficulty feeling mechanism, concentration, could be in part or sometimes an illusion, you suspect a difficulty boost your concentration, and feel it harder without notice it wasn't necessary. An illusion but the perception is real, and this perception is related to difficulty feeling.

Well, it's sort of a fuzzy topic. In a way, all challenge is an illusion if you can overcome it without a breakdown of some kind :)

Which is probably why I don't emphasize challenge over those other aspects of games.

I've yet to play a singleplayer CRPG/similar where I felt the challenge was insurmountable.

Well, maybe when I was a kid and I didn't understand how human beings work - both in terms of the role of the creator and the consumer.

That's why, for me, a game where I lost almost no combat can still feel quite difficult. I think some players are just insensitive to this aspect, and judge difficulty on different aspects like duration of combats or number of combats lost.

Oh, I very much agree here.

To me, the most interesting challenge is rarely about combat. I much prefer the challenge of exploration and discovery. Figuring out what happened in a certain area - or finding well hidden secrets are both more fun and less predictable than the vast majority of combat systems out there.

To me, the fun of combat isn't the hitting and killing stuff - it's the execution of my character strategy through wise tactical decision making, if that makes any sense.

The aspect of combats lost and the non predictability you evoked is leading to another point. A lot of players (I suspect mainly strategical players) drag tactical games into randomness. Randomness lead to non predictability and lost combats. I dislike a lot this current trend.

I would agree with that.

Erm.. yes, you have a role in Skyrim. You play the role of Dragonborn. Those who refuse to follow the main plot can play whatever role you want.
People enjoy their loop. This was answered years ago. Being dragon born is not a role, it is a condition.
I played the role of interior designer, who loves to snoop around other's house in dark to steal valuables at night.
There is nothing like this role in Skyrim.

Skyrim certainly has a standard role but you do not need to play it that way.

Skyrim has no role.
For mount and blade you can play however you want. I never played for domination and played through as vassal throughout.

It's not because you didn't see streamers do so that it means people don't…

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

It is way more people than streamers. Streamers seldom influence the developpment of a product. People who constantly lobby on the dev forum might on the other hand.

So maybe people play M&B according to the roles it includes but they never went a force to thwart the dilution of the roles and did not seem to be bothered by the dilution.

Because as it stands, M&B had firmer roles in early periods than it has now.

People enjoy their loop. This was answered years ago. Being dragon born is not a role, it is a condition.

There is nothing like this role in Skyrim.

It doesn't have to be the game giving your character a role. *You* can give your character a role.

Yes, I've played against Chess programs. Problem with Chess is that I find it incredibly boring and absolutely not worth my time. That said, the ruleset is simple enough that an AI can be incredibly strong.

I despise simplistic rulesets, because they're usually made for games without much of a gameplay horizon.

I mean, what's the gameplay of Chess? You move pieces around and solve mathematic equations related to potential moves of the opponent.

Whoop-de-do :)
Not really, I don't know the new recent approach based on learning databases (with the handy constraint that only their developers can organize matches against other programs), but for other programs they include a lot of strategical knowledge based on centuries of humans studies.

So no, chess isn't just series of combinations, there's a large strategy aspect, and you clearly know nothing of it to argue it's just combinations.

But wait, since when solve an equation is boring? Ok if math was boring for you, it's never been boring for me, not sure from what comes this difference of perception, but that's perhaps why we have this huge difference on combats.

This sort of arguing remind me those of strategical players that need more random to have fun tactical combats. But you quoted you don't like much random in combats.

Chess is probably the perfect example of difficulty with exactly zero rewards when you're playing against an AI.

There's no progression, no exploration, no immersion and no story.
No story, no exploration, ok.

No immersion, I totally disagree. I can analyze a position, strategies, tactics, compare possibilities, and emerge and realize a long time have passed, it's immersion. That's what is really immersion, not an idea of a "good" real life simulation (that no game is, and it's perhaps better as real life tend be tedious).

No progression is also quite wrong, you wrote it with the meaning of feeling that you are progressing. But there's a long learning curve, with a lot of progression potential. But yes it's rarely along one combat, but along multiple combats. So ok it's a too slow learning curve for you, but there's a wide progression potential.

But anyway chess was an irrelevant example, a bit out of topic.
X-Com is too dependent on random rolls for me to find the challenge properly satisfying. At least, the new ones are. The older ones were better.
Ok XCOM1&2 has too much random for you, I see what you mean, so it was a wrong example. In fact I think it's a bit exaggerated because there's two aspects:
- The design trick used a lot, gambling temptations, but they are no way a mandatory tool.
- Secondly manage random doesn't destroy all tactical/strategical depth.

But ok, I don't fully disagree because I'd like a third XCOM series with less random. So in a way, like you, I'm not much fan of too much random.

For the original x-com, I disliked it. So perhaps my comment is wrong because I didn't played it enough. But I don't see why you find it less random. It throws in the face a lot of low chance chance to hit, and even very random enemy hit chance with devastating effects if it hits. Yes it doesn't tempt with gambling tools, but otherwise it's no less random, and even more.

If I remember well you don't like much play indie games (or it was someone else, then sorry for the confusion) but I'll list a few games (all rather indie) as example instead of XCOM1&2:
- Ultimate Space Commando
- Templar Battleforce
- Super Dungeon Tactics
- The Storm Guard Darkness is Coming
- Steam Marines
- I see a sixth but won't quote a game with developers that have banished me for a total absurd reason, at least not with dev that let admin their forums by simple minded idiots. I try avoid promote stupidity.

So the same question, you played them at highest difficulty and found combats boring? Honestly myself I wouldn't be able to play any at highest difficulty, not without a long experience of the game. Except for The Storm Guard Darkness is Coming and probably Super Dungeon Tactics, I could/have beat them at highest difficulty from the knowledge of one or two plays.

At a point there's a problem if no matter the game you find that the combats aren't enough fun so they require a reward to worth be played. If that's your view on combats, then your opinion on combats hasn't much value.

So it's not a detail to know what games had fun combats not requiring any reward but to play them.

So, I have a very, very good instinct for what designers intend when they create rules and mechanics.

So, in that way - I will pick up most systems in modern CRPGs very quickly, and if I didn't - I'd have to be a little retarded considering how much time and energy I've spent investing in such games :)
Â…
I enjoy a steep learning curve when it makes sense, and when it's not full of arbitrary rules or "puzzle elements".

I hate playing "guess-the-mind-of-the-designer" - but I love playing really challenging games where the designer had a good understanding of both strategic and tactical challenges.
That's two aspects that could be contradictory. On a part it's like you are looking for systems you already know based on tactics you already know, and on another part, you complain it's too easy because you know everything already.

There's really puzzles combats and I see what you mean, but it's very very limited. There's only very few games where combats are really a puzzle spirit even if with more than one solution, myself I noticed only Desktop Dungeon (if memory serves me well).

Even with with only some combats that are like a puzzle as some in Blackguards 1 (much less in BGD2), they are very rare.

But a tactical design of a combat is also going through rejecting plenty possibilities the player could use in another combat. So in part a good tactical design will involve force find new solutions, and make weak/bad many already known.

I'm not saying I don't see at all what you mean about puzzling and rules. Rules are rules so should not be an element of quality/fun, just how they are used. But despite this sound logic, I admit I have this problem with some games. For me combats are no virtual reality, but at a point, some systems like Banner Saga require an extra effort to enter in it. It's really not appealing me. Which doesn't mean that when I achieve make the effort, at end I don't find the combats fun. For example I had fun with Banner Saga with the tempering that the combats terrains don't vary enough from the tactical diversity perspective. But it's still a problem and it's just coming from rules, not how well they are used.

I suspect there's two aspects:
- One is laziness, learn again another new rules system isn't appealing many players.
- The second aspect is imagination, ok combats are nothing realistic, but at some point the mind achieved link combats abstractions and imagination of reality, and this adds value. But the link was done with some rule systems, and it's more difficult to build those links again with really new systems. It could be because of age, or because too many other systems already symbolize well the idea of real combats, and there's no place for one more new.
Yes, that I would agree with. But, for added complexity to feel interesting - to me - it has to be non-redundant.

I mean, I don't enjoy complexity for the sake of complexity.

To put it another way, I prefer complexity that's presented in an uncomplicated way.

Otherwise, the challenge becomes more about book-keeping and less about the strategy or tactics.
For sure that's a limit for many players, a quality for some. The problem I have a bit with PoE1 series is it's many little mechanisms to know that at end doesn't add much value to combats, more to character building complexity.

But what I quoted wasn't rules but micro tactics that are really different, and the number of choices you need have to do, and their precision:
- The more choice to do and the more can be wrong, the more chance you have to do an error.
- The higher is the required precision, the more chance you have to do an error.

It's not by cumulating rules that you'll increase this complexity, it's not that simple. PoE series is a good example to show that the link between the two is weak.

Last edited:
Not really, I don't know the new recent approach based on learning databases (with the handy constraint that only their developers can organize matches against other programs), but for other programs they include a lot of strategical knowledge based on centuries of humans studies.

So no, chess isn't just series of combinations, there's a large strategy aspect, and you clearly know nothing of it to argue it's just combinations.

But wait, since when solve an equation is boring? Ok if math was boring for you, it's never been boring for me, not sure from what comes this difference of perception, but that's perhaps why we have this huge difference on combats.

This sort of arguing remind me those of strategical players that need more random to have fun tactical combats. But you quoted you don't like much random in combats.

If you want to tell yourself that Chess has some kind of magical gameplay that only the fans can see, that's fine with me. To me, it's an exceedingly simple game with very, very few rules - related to what's a legal move and what's not.

From there, it's 100% exclusively about figuring out what pieces could move where, with what consequences for the opponent. That's all it can ever be, in the real world.

That's what I call mathematical equations - but I suppose the right word would be calculations.

No, I don't enjoy math for the sake of math. If I did, I'd never need to play a game - I'd just Google a bunch of math tests and have at it.

However, simple doesn't mean it's easy or boring. It just means it's simple.

Like, say, Minesweeper or Tetris. Both games are incredibly simple - but they can also be incredibly hard to master.

No immersion, I totally disagree. I can analyze a position, strategies, tactics, compare possibilities, and emerge and realize a long time have passed, it's immersion. That's what is really immersion, not an idea of a "good" real life simulation (that no game is, and it's perhaps better as real life tend be tedious).

No progression is also quite wrong, you wrote it with the meaning of feeling that you are progressing. But there's a long learning curve, with a lot of progression potential. But yes it's rarely along one combat, but along multiple combats. So ok it's a too slow learning curve for you, but there's a wide progression potential.

But anyway chess was an irrelevant example, a bit out of topic.

Definitely off topic, and I suggest we agree to disagree about this supposed immersion and progression.

For the original x-com, I disliked it. So perhaps my comment is wrong because I didn't played it enough. But I don't see why you find it less random. It throws in the face a lot of low chance chance to hit, and even very random enemy hit chance with devastating effects if it hits. Yes it doesn't tempt with gambling tools, but otherwise it's no less random, and even more.

The original X-Com had more tactical avenues - because you weren't restricted to simplistic binary choices in terms of move and shoot.

Also, the Overwatch ability was more reliable - and overall, I found the numbers less obscene in terms of determining the overall outcome of the battle.

That said, it's been more than 20 years since I played it - and I could be wrong. But that's what it felt like, to me.

If I remember well you don't like much play indie games (or it was someone else, then sorry for the confusion) but I'll list a few games (all rather indie) as example instead of XCOM1&2:
- Ultimate Space Commando
- Templar Battleforce
- Super Dungeon Tactics
- The Storm Guard Darkness is Coming
- Steam Marines
- I see a sixth but won't quote a game with developers that have banished me for a total absurd reason, at least not with dev that let admin their forums by simple minded idiots. I try avoid promote stupidity.

I like indie games that provide something in the areas I previously mentioned. Most of them are a little light in most areas, except for the progression aspect.

So the same question, you played them at highest difficulty and found combats boring? Honestly myself I wouldn't be able to play any at highest difficulty, not without a long experience of the game. Except for The Storm Guard Darkness is Coming and probably Super Dungeon Tactics, I could/have beat them at highest difficulty from the knowledge of one or two plays.

I haven't played these games, no.

At a point there's a problem if no matter the game you find that the combats aren't enough fun so they require a reward to worth be played. If that's your view on combats, then your opinion on combats hasn't much value.

Well, first of all - you seem like you're having some kind of fantasy about what I like and don't like.

Even so, if you actually understand what I'm saying - which it sounds like you don't - then I struggle to grasp what value your opinion of my opinion is supposed to have.

I mean, why would that be relevant to me?

I'm not trying to put a value on YOUR opinion. That, to me, is just a destructive approach to any exchange.

You sound like you're not listening - and you sound like you're making it into some kind of competition about who is right and who is wrong. Almost as if you don't understand basic human nature and how we all like different things for different reasons.

That's not really very interesting to me.

I will skip the rest of your post, because I have no interest in "proving" that my opinion is valid to you.

If we can't simply exchange about our opinions without bogging everything down with pointless and trivial value judgments, then my interest is just not there.

I'm afraid your validation is useless to me. Your opinions about games WERE interesting, but oh well.

Also, and I don't mean to be cruel - but your.... unique approach to the English language is giving me a headache. Not only are you extremely verbose - which if fair enough (I'm like that myself) - but I sort of have to decipher each sentence and translate it into a more familiar approach to English, and that's just not very pleasant in the long run.

I'm sorry, because it was an otherwise interesting exchange.

If you want to tell yourself that Chess has some kind of magical gameplay that only the fans can see, that's fine with me. To me, it's an exceedingly simple game with very, very few rules - related to what's a legal move and what's not.

From there, it's 100% exclusively about figuring out what pieces could move where, with what consequences for the opponent. That's all it can ever be, in the real world.

That's what I call mathematical equations - but I suppose the right word would be calculations.

Chess does my head in. It's not about equations or calculations; it's about predictions. What move might my opponent do next and what would I do and what would he do and so on and so on.... It's almost infinite in its tangents.

Far from very, very simple and incredibly hard on ones short term memory.

Chess does my head in. It's not about equations or calculations; it's about predictions. What move might my opponent do next and what would I do and what would he do and so on and so on…. It's almost infinite in its tangents.

Far from very, very simple and incredibly hard on ones short term memory.

Unless you're psychic, every single prediction you make in Chess will be based 100% on simple calculations. We're talking Chess against an AI.

That's irrefutable. Of course, if you have to think 100 moves ahead, that's exhaustive - but the rules are still very simple.

So, unless you consider a unique movement rule for 6 different pieces and a single victory condition (apart from a Draw and Resignation) - plus a tiny handful of "special" rules - a complex ruleset, it's a simple ruleset.

In fact, the only reason we have computers capable of defeating the best human players is BECAUSE the rules are so simple.

People confuse simple with bad or easy - and that's fine.

To me Chess isn't a bad game and it's only easy if you play against an easy opponent.

But complex? Give me a break. Compared to any CRPG of any kind of complexity - it's exceedingly simple in terms of rules.

But even the most complicated game of all time can be easy - and even the simplest game in the world can be hard.

Sure, I learned the moves to chess when I was just 5, but I couldn't beat my dad and never have. :(

Even if I beat him now it would only be because he's in his 70s. Wouldn't be beating him at his prime

The rules are simple, but their application is nearly infinitely complex.

Sure, I learned the moves to chess when I was just 5, but I couldn't beat my dad and never have. :(

Even if I beat him now it would only be because he's in his 70s. Wouldn't be beating him at his prime

The rules are simple, but their application is nearly infinitely complex.

That's like saying walking to work is infinitely complex because you can apply your legs to the ground in infinite ways.

If that's your definition of a complex task, so be it.

It's not mine.

The reason your father beats you isn't that he's capable of more complexity. In fact, I suspect the opposite might be possible.

It's probably more about patience, interest and experience.

Why don't you introduce your father to the rules of Europa Universalis or Advanced Squad Leader - and then get back to me about complicated rules.

Let me rephrase for the people who're offended by my opinion of Chess rules:

1. Try to predict all possible ways to do everything you can do in Chess on any given turn in the mid-game. Only for ONE turn. As in, you can move any one piece within a rigid movement rule restriction.

2. Try to predict all possible ways to do everything you can in Civilization 6 on any given turn in the mid-game. Remember, this involves all ways to move multiple units, build, grow, fight with multiple units, research, influence, spread religion, and so on.

3. Once your brain has concluded that Civilization is infinitely harder to predict in this way and even a single turn has nearly infinite possibilities when you combine all you can do with every option - then multiply that with a few hundred, which would be the average length of a Civilization game.

Ok, so Chess is a complicated game? What would you call Civilization then?

It's not rocket science.

Why don't you introduce your father to the rules of Europa Universalis or Advanced Squad Leader - and then get back to me about complicated rules.

He's officially too old for games. The last game he got into was Hellgate: London. I've tried to introduce him to heaps of things. Battletech, Into The Breach, FTL, Endless Space 2, Starpoint Gemini Warlords, etc.

All he wants to play now is facebook shit like Candy Crush where he competes with his siblings for scores. :(

1500 posts! Only took me 11 years :D

But how many of those moves in civilization are actually very similar and won't have a real impact on the result? Not all moves in chess are crucial either, but I think more so than civilization.

Anyways, I just wanted to pitch in that complexity is much more than the number of possible moves. Though I agree that chess has been solved in AI first because it is more tractable (than eg Go). Albeit with many tricks, not all of them I consider 'learning' (like using a (starting) dictionary of known strategies).

I'm guessing civilization is probably pretty decomposable. That is, you could solve subproblems independently and still achieve near optimal results. Like first determine on what you want to focus that turn (military, food, etc) and then look what the optimal military (if chosen) move is.

Woo Porthos friend you really have the trick to get on my nerves, right like in past.

I won't lost my time argue with you, but one quote. If my English is so bad how you can pretend understand my post well enough to know I misunderstand you? To me that looks stupid.

So if you don't understand my English, fine, but be logic, don't answer something you can't understand, it will be better for both.

Your insistence to oppose combats and rewards is so comical, you are unable to see how incoherent you are, or you just dislike all combats in all games, otherwise their fun wouldn't require any reward. Sigh.

So I repeat don't comment combats, your opinion worth nothing if none are fun for you because all require some other reward to compensate the boredom.

And you should really stop comment chess to avoid cumulate stupidities.

I'm with Darth, Chess is by no means a complex game. That doesn't make it an easy game to master though, but that's not the same thing. You can utilize intricate strategies within a simple system, and you can use simple tactics in a complex system, those aren't mutually exclusive.

Personally I prefer complex systems, because I like games where combat is a lot like a puzzle I need to figure out. I'm guessing that's why I prefer turn based or RTwP more than action based games. It allows for more complex mechanics, which in turn makes the puzzle that much larger.

I think that makes sense. But I'm wrong sometimes. So I've heard others claim anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom