Dragon Age 2 - A Look At The Qunari, Evolved @ GameInformer

Dhruin

SasqWatch
You'll get a surprise when you see the new Qunari design, which GameInformer has unveiled today. They have two large concept arts and a bit of background:
BioWare’s been forthcoming about the new art style for Dragon Age 2, but even that didn’t prepare us for the surprise of seeing the redesigned qunari. Unlike the strange but decidedly humanoid qunari Sten from Origins, the images of the Dragon Age 2 qunari that we saw were muscular, nearly demonic-looking creatures. The most striking difference was the addition of horns. As it turns out, Dragon Age lore has an answer for why we haven’t seen them on qunari before.
More information.

I don't understand why Bioware is implementing so much changes to something that obviously worked, the game sold more than 3,5 million copies afterall.

Sure, these Qunari might look more distinct than the Qunari from the original Dragon Age, but they worked just fine if you ask me.

edit: Then again, it would mean that not every race looks like rescaled humans anymore.

Oh, for crying out loud, no, no, no. The redesigned qunari look terrible. Adding horns and red body paint is not the way to go, it does not equal more cool or more macho - unless you're twelve. To me, the new qunari just look ridicilous. I think I've had enough of the New Shit (tm). *sigh*

Well, I don't like the concept art, but the render I actually do like. I like this change better than what they did to armor in the other shots.

I don't understand why Bioware is implementing so much changes to something that obviously worked, the game sold more than 3,5 million copies afterall.

Sure, these Qunari might look more distinct than the Qunari from the original Dragon Age, but they worked just fine if you ask me.

edit: Then again, it would mean that not every race looks like rescaled humans anymore.

Never change a running system, eh?

The more I hear about DA2 the less I like it.

The origins stories were about the BEST part, now premade human only. And now this. It's just a silly, immature, childish "rub-in-the-face" that slightly evil moral races have to look like devils.

Shame on you Bioware.

I don't like it one bit.

it is nice that they thought of a story why they are like that, but sten wasn't the only quenari. I would have never saved him out of the cage if he looked like that.

+ Not only horns: look at the hands: almost like claws, I liked the more Viking kind of quenari with a harsh look and strong body, but this :(

I think like most here, that DA2 just isn't ever getting close enough t the pearl DA: Origins is, to be called a good successor

According to Bioware "nostalgia can only carry you so far".

I like the new Qunari. I'd like to play one. Would be a nice change from playing a dwarf...oh snap.

I don't like it one bit.

it is nice that they thought of a story why they are like that, but sten wasn't the only quenari. I would have never saved him out of the cage if he looked like that.

+ Not only horns: look at the hands: almost like claws, I liked the more Viking kind of quenari with a harsh look and strong body, but this :(

That he was an alleged child killer didn't bother you, but horns and long fingernails would have? Shame on you, looks are deceivin, you know ;)
I am not crazy about what they have shown so far, but I also remember how many people shouted "this will suck" when they showed the "new shit" trailer. I'm willing to wait and see, for the moment. Although I like DA:O (currently playing) I think it is in need of an update in many ways. Whether Bioware changes the things that I would change is unlikely, but we'll see.

Last edited:
Although I like AoD (currently playing) I think it is in need of an update in many ways.

Heh, I know, but it's not like Vince can afford a better engine at this point, not to mention that to scrap so much work already done... oh wait!

.. jokes aside, you meant DA:O right?

Right, sorry guys. Wishful thinking, I suppose.

@ GhanBuriGhan: I haven't finished the game yet, so I still hope to find more info about what happened there :p
besides: doesn't everyone deserva a second chance? :p

On topic again: even though his sins, he was still humanlike, just like elves and dwarves. Now he looks like he is some kind of demon or darkspawn :(

You do know that Ogres have horns? And that the Darkspawn Broodmothers?, make Ogres from the Quanari people. Hence, the horns, I guess…

The horns have a similar shape (but smaller) to the ones the Ogres have too.

On topic again: even though his sins, he was still humanlike, just like elves and dwarves. Now he looks like he is some kind of demon or darkspawn :(
That's what I liked about the Qunari. True, like the Dwarves and Elves, they looked nearly exactly like humans. But for them, it worked. Their culture combined with their color of skin, eyes and their size made them appear as true monstrous men. It made them appear as if there was a true monster hiding behind those ominous red eyes of theirs.

And that's what I dislike the most about this form, it is too transparent. "These are monsters" it screams, while the old looks were simply "These are not men, they might look like men, but they are really monsters".

Still though, like I said, I welcome the change in silhouette for at least one race.

This reminds me of....

0d006dc2f6a073e8

or

5c2410cdaed807fe

one different: the 2 strak treks: more than 10 years between them,
AO: a bit more than a year

So you're saying the Klingons developed their ridged foreheads in just a little over a Decade. ;) jk

Ok, back on topic...

I don't think the render looks bad at all. I expected it to be much worse after reading the comments.

Well it could be more then a decade, no star trek scientist here :p

I still think it looks too much like it belongs on the side of the darkspawn and such

Back
Top Bottom