Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hellgate: London

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Eschalon: Book 1

Votes: 6 10.9%

• Total voters
Not to disenchant those hackerz, but all you need to do is disable cookies, and you can vote as often as you want...

Really? I thought RPGWatch was one account-one vote, I don't see how cookies would factor into that.

Really? I thought RPGWatch was one account-one vote, I don't see how cookies would factor into that.

Try it out: log out re-enter the site as a nobody

one vote - one cookie
delete cookie - next vote
disable cookies - infinite votes

On the other hand, maybe those votes also take the enthusiasm into account, one really dedicated fan may count as much as 688 normal fans... ;)

Yeah, there must be something wrong there. Hellgate doing better than NWN2: MotB? It also may be because most of the folks that would have voted for MotB are voting for The Witcher. I know I did.

1. The Witcher

2. NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer

3. Most likely Escalon, but I've barely started that one and I haven't gotten far enough to form a "voting opinion".

Obviously, this poll is going to be biased, which makes it close to worthless. In any case, I voted Mass Effect, for it's excellent production values and story.

Life's far too short to waste time cheating at voting in online polls!! I suppose we could always disable guest voting!!

Life's far too short to waste time cheating at voting in online polls!! I suppose we could always disable guest voting!!

couldn't you simply check the IP instead of just placing a cookie? This would already complicate things for the cheaters. (Although I doubt it was cheating, as first MotB, then Hellgate, then The Witcher got hundredths of votes within a few minutes, more likely either one butthead trolling or several ones having a race (with the Witcher guy winning, gratulations)

Anyway I think you should reset the poll or at least delete yesterday's votes.

Deducting guest votes, current (Dec. 26, 21:05 local time) results are...

Mass Effect - 4 votes
The Witcher - 38 votes
Two Worlds - 1 vote
Hellgate: London - 0 votes
NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer - 3 votes
Eschalon: Book 1 - 6 votes

So among Watch forum members, The Witcher is in the lead ATM, followed by Eschalon and Mass Effect.

Last edited:
I'm really surprised that NWN2:MOTB only got 2 votes from Watch members.

I voted for The Witcher but I thought NWN2:MOTB would be a close second in the polls.

I'm really surprised that NWN2:MOTB only got 2 votes from Watch members.

I voted for The Witcher but I thought NWN2:MOTB would be a close second in the polls.

I think that's the problem right there -- most of us played both, and for most of those who did, MotB comes in second, but with a really nice shiny silver medal. However, we can only vote for one of 'em. It's certainly true that that split of votes doesn't accurately describe how much better TW is than MotB.

Hellgate is more at home in the 'Most Disappointing Game of the Year' category.

1. The Witcher
2. MotB
3. Mass Effect (Saw someone else play it for a good 30 minutes. Very cinematic, heavy yet largely inconsequential dialogue, absolutely crappy gameplay, interactive movie + bad shooter clone, minimalist RPG)

Actually, it's kind of interesting the only one that's really out of sync with the member vote is Hellgate:London. Otherwise the numbers follow the same pattern, with The Witcher a clear #1, a few votes for Two Worlds, and Mass Effect, MotB and Eschalon vying for second place.

Haven't played HG:L but the internet buzz would suggest that Sacrificial Lamb has given it the correct game award.

Last edited:
Is this poll messed up, or is Two Worlds in second place with 1018 votes? I personally loved that game (as many of you know), but I can't imagine that many people voting it as their #1 for the year... I personally voted for The Witcher, even though I haven't finished it... it's just that darn good!

Anyway... whether the poll is bugged, or someone is cheating the vote (if possible), or Two Worlds is indeed legitimately in the number 2 spot... I'm glad to see it... I think it belongs in that space ;)

EDIT: okay, I just saw the discussion talking about this... I guess somebody's cheating... which, like others have said... is just goofy.

I think that's the problem right there -- most of us played both, and for most of those who did, MotB comes in second, but with a really nice shiny silver medal. However, we can only vote for one of 'em. It's certainly true that that split of votes doesn't accurately describe how much better TW is than MotB.

Agreed, in any other recent year MoTB would have been comfortably in the lead but the witcher does have the edge. Story for story I think they're largely equal but the look and game engine for the witcher makes it a more polished experience overall for me (maybe simply because it's new and fresh).

Great year for rpgs though :)

Great year for rpgs though :)
Isn't it sad when a year with 2 successful blue-chip releases and a couple good indies can evoke a comment like this? Not picking on Benedict, since compared to recent years this truly might qualify as a "great" year.

Isn't it sad when a year with 2 successful blue-chip releases and a couple good indies can evoke a comment like this? Not picking on Benedict, since compared to recent years this truly might qualify as a "great" year.

I don't know, how many other years really had that many that were memorably great? I think both the Witcher and MoTB are games that 10 years from now I'll be telling n00bs they should play because they're true classics. Two stand out gems would have been pretty good going even back in the golden ages.

In terms of the filler releases, four indie games with depth but no flashiness and Mass Effect with flashiness but possibly no depth isn't bad going at all.

I don't know, I've got much less time for gaming these days, but what time I have had has almost all gone on stuff I've genuinely enjoyed :)

Well, I voted for The Witcher.

I've play through Mass Effect several times now and enjoyed it immensely and had this been game of the Year with the same candidates I think I might perhaps maybe would have given ME my vote over The Witcher. However, it is on the light side in the RPG department so The Witcher is clearly deserving of the RPG of the Year title in my book.

MotB and Two Worlds are still waiting patiently in my stash of purchased but not yet played games and I'm looking forward to playing them both when I have the time.

Back
Top Bottom