Skyrim - System Reqs Announced

What's interesting regarding PC gamers is as these companies go more and more to consoles the games look less and less interesting to me as a PC gamer so I'm even more unlikely to buy them thus reducing PC sales even further.

I want a detailed RPG that is not streamlined for ease of play. I want lots of stats, I want to be able to see lots of inventory on the screen at the same time. All of these things are going the opposite direction on the consoles.

This may be the first Elder Scrolls game I dont buy on release day…will probably wait along time for updates, reviews and then possibly a bargain purchase.

This may be the first Elder Scrolls game I dont buy on release day…will probably wait along time for updates, reviews and then possibly a bargain purchase.

I'll buy two copies, so that they don't lose a pc sale then. I'm afraid that Elder Scrolls VI is probably doomed to console only, no matter what I do, but I'll fight the inevitability, as long as possible.

Well 90% is a big number but Todd Howard isn't the most reputable source. Then again all that matters is what Bethesda believes to be true. Also hard to believe that they would turn their backs on the modding community since its mostly what I think of as the differentiation between BethSoft and the rest. (I dont believe MS or Sony will ever allow the kinds of mods that get made for TES/FO games)

I want a detailed RPG that is not streamlined for ease of play. I want lots of stats, I want to be able to see lots of inventory on the screen at the same time. All of these things are going the opposite direction on the consoles.

I'm not clear what you are protesting. I'm no Bethsoft apologist (I'm not even a big fan of the series as a whole) but this looks as deep as any AAA RPG you're likely to get. What looks worse than Oblivion that you bought the last one on release, but not this one?

I'll buy two copies, so that they don't lose a pc sale then. I'm afraid that Elder Scrolls VI is probably doomed to console only, no matter what I do, but I'll fight the inevitability, as long as possible.

With that being 10 years away - it might be doomed to smart phone.

But yeah people focusing on the demonstrations only being the xbox360 version seem to think that's unusual. I don't think I've seen Batman: Arkham City or Kingdoms of Amalur demonstrated on PC at all. Even batman Asylum only had one PC screenshot released, after the console launch, as part of n nVidia promotion.

I'm kind of glad we aren't getting screwed more by having PC versions delayed like they are for some big titles from other developers (LA Noire and Batman for example.) Considering that doing that gives those companies the benefit of getting a second launch date on which to generate more press for the title as a whole, its nice that some older companies haven't thrown us to the curb entirely.

When that article with Todd Howard saying 90% of their userbase being on consoles came out I did some research. I found out that it was BS and it was nowhere near 90% and the PC had the second highest userbase and was somewhat behind the Xbox 360 in sales. It has been awhile but I think the PC sales were closer to a third of total sales.

its nice that some older companies haven't thrown us to the curb entirely.

The only game that I really want and can't get for the PC is Dark Souls. Companies haven't kicked us to the curb and I highly doubt that it will ever happen in my lifetime.

@guenthar Yea, I was still pretty sure that was bullshit. 90% come on!, but the sad part is that he had to bullshit the console numbers higher than they actually are. Why do that? Unless he was talking to the press for consoles.

The only game that I really want and can't get for the PC is Dark Souls. Companies haven't kicked us to the curb and I highly doubt that it will ever happen in my lifetime.

@guenthar Yea, I was still pretty sure that was bullshit. 90% come on!, but the sad part is that he had to bullshit the console numbers higher than they actually are. Why do that? Unless he was talking to the press for consoles.

They might not have kicked us to the curb but they've at the least set us outside on the porch.

They inflate the #'s so they don't have to put any extra effort in to the pc. When people complain they can point to the #'s to justify it. Same reason you hear about piracy all the time but you don't hear about 2nd hand console sales nearly as much.

Haven't kicked you to the curb yet - but there are people out there who want to play games that you do not.. I wasn't referring to not releasing games for PC at all but rather delaying them or delaying their content - something that has sometimes happened with RPGs but is becoming annoyingly common in other genres already.

The only game that I really want and can't get for the PC is Dark Souls.

Verily…I'd really love to play that game, as well as Demon's Souls but it requires a damned PS3 and I despise Sony mostly because of their blatant arrogance {among other things}, so they don't deserve my money. Not to mention I wrote off consoles awhile ago and doubt I could ever go back.

One thing I don't quite understand is how often most developers keep dumbing down their older franchises, and new games. Its like they're feeding the stupid and unwillingness to learn with more stupidity in hopes to gain more sales;{sadly enough its working} all-the-while basically telling their more intelligent community to go fuck themselves!

Yet we have Demon's Souls and Dark Souls release, and from what I hear its incredibly difficult to defeat and can take in upwards of 150hrs to do it all, unless you're this player that did it in under 90min. And its selling extremely well, and most feedback I've read about it are extremely positive and gamers want more of it!

~I wish for more difficult games again, not this crap you can waltz through without even trying. Just started playing Rage and I set it on the Insane Difficulty hoping to get my ass kicked and thus far its still not very difficult~

Well 90% is a big number but Todd Howard isn't the most reputable source. Then again all that matters is what Bethesda believes to be true. Also hard to believe that they would turn their backs on the modding community since its mostly what I think of as the differentiation between BethSoft and the rest. (I dont believe MS or Sony will ever allow the kinds of mods that get made for TES/FO games)

The North American Skyrim PC version sales are already most likely greater than the PS3 version (as of Oct 22).

288,477 - PS3
153,263 - PC packaged retail discs (excludes digital downloads)

Source: http://www.vgchartz.com/preorders.php

Digital download sales numbers are not disclosed, however, a recent study published by NVIDIA indicates that PC digital downloads are vastly outselling PC packaged retail discs, projected by as much as a 6 to 1 margin for 2011:

http://techgage.com/articles/editorials/september_11/nvidia_trends_07.png

If we were to estimate conservatively that the digital downloads are at least equal to the packaged retail copies, then the PC version is currently outselling the PS3 version within North America.

The recommended requirements for Skyrim are about the same as the recommended requirements for The Witcher 2. I'm right at the recommended specs, and TW2 runs beautifully at 1280x720 with everything maxed. Hopefully, Skyrim will be the same.

The recommended requirements for Skyrim are about the same as the recommended requirements for The Witcher 2. I'm right at the recommended specs, and TW2 runs beautifully at 1280x720 with everything maxed. Hopefully, Skyrim will be the same.

Dear God I hope not. Witcher 2 runs horribly on my laptop even with everything at the absolute lowest settings possible. The controls feel very unresponsive as a result.

However, I get 50+ fps with Fallout New Vegas at 1920x1080, most settings maxed except anti-aliasing and water refracting/resampling dialed way down.

The recommended specs are supposed to enable you to run the game on "High" at 1920x1080.

Does "Internet access required for Steam activation" mean that all copies will activate on Steam? Direct2Drive has the game for 10% off, but I've been wary about buying it there because I know Oblivion mods didn't always work with the different downloadable versions. If all copies come with a Steam code though, it shouldn't matter where I buy it.

Does "Internet access required for Steam activation" mean that all copies will activate on Steam? Direct2Drive has the game for 10% off, but I've been wary about buying it there because I know Oblivion mods didn't always work with the different downloadable versions. If all copies come with a Steam code though, it shouldn't matter where I buy it.

Yes, the D2D version will come with a Steam code. All PC copies use Steamworks.

I have to say all the graphics complaining is quite irritating. Complaints regarding lousy UI's that are designed for controllers, overly streamlined/"dumbed down" gameplay, and design decisions targeting "mass market appeal" can carry validity, but man… complaining about the graphics? For a game that looks plenty good as it is? Really? Fancy hardware and mind-blowing, orgasm inducing graphics are not the reasons I became a PC gamer. Great graphics with highly detailed textures are nice and all, but the amazement of such things is fleeting; it's no coincidence that Crysis (which is probably still the benchmark for visuals in a PC game) is not considered a classic, whereas games like Fallout 1+2, Deus Ex, and the Infinity Engine games are timeless. If anything, presentation values take away from the quality of a game; I don't think that a Planescape: Torment could ever be be made given today's technology demands, especially if something like Skyrim somehow doesn't meet the mark in the presentation department. Thank God not all PC gamers are like the people that complain over such trivial things…otherwise, AAA developers would stop releasing their games for the PC at all and the amazingly creative, low-budget indie scene would never have a chance to flourish.

The graphics are clearly going to be good enough for me, so the only thing I care about is the content.

Why, yes, but The Elder Scrolls games have been a bit like the game to look forward to as far as technological advances in open-world game engine and graphics go. Morrowind was one of the first with per-pixel shading. Oblivion had actual distant landscape rendering! What new awesome will Skyrim bring? Not too much in comparison, I'm afraid. :( We'll have to wait till 2013/2014 for that.

I think I read somewhere that the game will take advantage of DirectX 11, though I could be confusing that with another game.

Todd Howard did claim Skyrim will support DirectX 11, but in limited capacity. Later, he seems to have clarified that while they didn't do much with DX11 then (March 2011), they might still later on. So there's still hope for DX11 optimizations and tesselation, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Considering how cheaply you can built a decent PC nowadays, its sad that based on that article, so many still flock to the horribly underpowered consoles. You'd think with how many graphics whore threads/posts that are made on all manner of games the net wide, these people would get a PC to fulfill their desires, yet they don't.

Actually, they do. The PC is still the largest install base out there, it's just that more console players actually buy the games, so they're the only ones visible to the publishers. If you want to influence game design you have to be the ones contributing to the pay check- the main customers, not simply consumers.

Back
Top Bottom