Bioshock - Today's Wrapup

Dhruin

SasqWatch
I'll collect the Bioshock newsbits together so the site doesn't become BioWatch, especially since it will probably be quiet before we hit the GC storm in a few days.
ActionTrip has a review, with a score of 92%:
Plasmids as such add great variety to the nitty-gritty of the gameplay. Taking a somewhat old-school approach (similar to what we saw in games like System Shock *wink, wink*, and Deus Ex), players can decide which type of fighter they want to be. Whether they want to be good at hacking the security systems (hacking handled through mini-games), and generally using plasmids which utilize the environment or the enemies themselves as tools, or if they want to take a more straightforward shooter approach, mod their weapons and go into every fight all-guns-blazing.
The truth is most players will likely take a mixed approach, thus keeping the action as diverse as it can be in BioShock. Even so, diversity is something that BioShock lacks in certain aspects. Going back to my little overture about high profile releases in this day and age, it is important to realize that for all that is good about BioShock, this is not a perfect game, nor is this the best first-person shooter I have ever played. It ranks high up there, but once the media frenzy has settled, people will begin to approach this title in a more objective manner. During their stay in Rapture, players will spend 99% of their time indoors, often in pretty tight spaces in Rapture. This inevitably makes the game feel claustrophobic at times. Concept-wise, one could argue that this is perfectly justifiable; nonetheless, shooters like Half-Life 2 have another dimension to them, simply by being able to take the players out of confined and gloomy spaces and into the sprawling outdoor environments.
...and a site called Game Talk scores 5/5:
And that's where the real draw of Bioshock lies. The combat is endlessly customizable. You get the standard assortment of first-person shooter weapons, and you will certainly use them, but here they're more of a backup than your first line of attack. Why shoot someone when you can freeze them and shatter them into a thousand pieces? When you can light them on fire and when they run to water to put themselves out, you shoot them with electricity? Throwing someone into the air with a whirlwind may not be the most efficient way to kill someone, but the satisfaction level is much, much higher. A creative player with a full assortment of plasmids at his disposal can come up with literally hundreds of different ways to maim, kill, and obliterate enemies as the game progresses.
From Cult of the Rapture comes news that the demo is/was held over for new drivers:
While there are versions of the BioShock demo available now on the web for download, I recommend you waiting until 7 PM tonight to download yours. The official release is timed so that you can optimize your system with the latest drivers that will make the game run as smoothly as possible. Running BioShock with outdated drivers may impact your performance, so if you do happen to play the demo before the 7 PM launch time, please be sure to check your system again after grabbing the latest and greatest drivers as a true measure of performance and quality.
...Ken recommends you avoid spoilers:
If you're going to buy the game this week, I highly recommend you stay away from any forums that might have spoilers until you play the game through. Our goal in making the game was to thrill and, often, surprise you.
Please don't ruin other people's experience by revealing secrets in unmarked threads, and if you want to enjoy the game to its fullest, stay away from any threads that might ruin the fun for you. With a game like BioShock, it will really make a difference.
Best,
Ken
...and finally, there is a note for those who get damaged figurines ion their Limited Editions.
More information.

I just finished the demo.

It is a fun game but I do not understand the near perfect and perfect scores.

Last edited:
I just finished the demo.

It is a fun game but I do not understand the near perfect and perfect scores.

What are the issues and flaws revealed to you from the demo that make this less than deserving?

I didnt finish it, but I played around for it awhile and thought it was pretty cool.

What really suprised me above all was how decent @1024x768 it ran on my 3.4 ghz 2gb 7600 gt, even after I blew off the "you really should update your Nvidia drivers" warning. I had them all downloaded and was ready to go when... psyche! I think not.
I'd spend the rest of my evening not playing, but reconfiguring, and that wasnt on the menu afaik. I'm pleasantly suprised in how it purrformed indeed. Shocked, actually, gave me newfound faith in my rig and powers of eke'ing.

Needless to say (but I'll say it anyway of course) the game is stunning in it's presentation. The water and liquids in general, everything is gorgeous.

I'd agree with Reyla in that the style is very well done. As a retro movie buff and someone who has always been intrigued by Ayn Rand, it was hitting my joy buzzer in all the right ways. I'll have to spend some more time with it, but so far so good!

I heard from around the web that the UR3 engine is rather smart. I have AMD 3800+ 3gig of ram and a 8800gts so I think i'm safe to enjoy Bioshock (at least I hope). It even runs NWN2 ok.

What are the issues and flaws revealed to you from the demo that make this less than deserving?

From the Gamespy review:
when confronted by a masterpiece of this magnitude -- a game that is almost more of a quest of self-discovery than a mere plaything -- it's impossible to not recognize the brilliance flooding your senses.

From the Eurogamer review:
here's the deal: Bioshock doesn't just meet your expectations, but completely redefines them forever in ways you never even expected - in ways that games used to in the past, routinely. The hours spent playing this masterpiece were the perfect encapsulation of why videogaming is such a favourite waste of time for so many of us.

From the Game Informer review:
It's ingenious, enthralling, and a masterpiece of the most epic proportions

From Games Radar:
it masters "narrative, emergence, a sense of place

There is a reason Computer Gaming World, PC Gamer, Gamespot and others have never awarded a perfect score to a PC game. That would mean that Bioshock is the next evolution in gaming. A revolutionary title. A 2nd generation game in the sense that all games before it were the 1st generation.

I can try to give specifics but I am afraid it would not be eloquent. I mean, is Bioshock really a masterpiece? Is it a great game? There really should be a difference in those two questions.

Last edited:
I can try to give specifics but I am afraid it would not be eloquent. I mean, is Bioshock really a masterpiece? Is it a great game? There really should be a difference in those two questions.
I've only played a couple of hours so far, but it is pretty clearly a really good game. Great, Masterpiece, 'Gaming 2.0'? All that has to wait ...

I've only played a couple of hours so far, but it is pretty clearly a really good game. Great, Masterpiece, 'Gaming 2.0'? All that has to wait ...

Why does it have to wait?

There have been other reviews which detail the flaws - the same flaws I figured out in the demo. Combat is simple. There may be options available but the there are only a few options that will be used extensively (the example given in the review I read was that he used the wrench almost exclusively, not to conserve ammo, but simply because it was quicker), the hacking mini-game will grate on many people and is highly repetitive, it isn't quite as open as had been suggested (small quibble really) and the environment isn't as reactive as hyped (again, not that big of a deal, but this calls into question the reviews which claim REVOLUTION).

It's a solid game with great atmosphere and visuals. I'm just disappointed that so many reviewers point to the flaws then go ahead and give it a score of 95 or greater with the tagline "It will change your life!!!" If all we're interested in a game is visuals and art, then watch a movie, go to an art exhibit, whatever and you'll see stuff even more amazing than Bioshock.

Hyperbole is the stuff of life to these reviewers. They don't just like a game, they have verbal orgasms. I would take it all in context and enjoy the game for what you personally get out of it myself.
I dl'ed the demo but haven't had time to play it yet. Just from the intro, though, this does look like something quite with its own thing going, and that's enough of a rarity in these days of dime a dozen knockoffs to make it worth a few adjectives. :)

Why does it have to wait?
Because the border between being a great game and a changing experience doesn't often happen during the 'rat killing' phase. I mean, if there was a BG2 demo that only had the Irenicus dungeon, wouldn't you be able to say the same thing?

... if there was a BG2 demo that only had the Irenicus dungeon, wouldn't you be able to say the same thing?

Too true... ;)

I haven't played much of the demo, but it "feels" like SS2 to me (with a bit of DX thrown in, as well). As I loved both games, I have high hopes for this one. I also respect the opinions of some of the reviewers who have praised this game, including Tom Chick, who had the cajones to give Deus Ex a horrible review, amidst its own post-release love-fest.

Back
Top Bottom