Looking for RTS Like C&C

Rills

Sentinel
My second favorite PC game genre' is Real Time Strategy and Command & Conquer is my favorite flavor. Supreme Commander wouldn't work because my hardware would never handle it. Yes, C&C 4 is due out next year but from what I have seen in the latest trailer is that it doesn't look like any of the previous versions. It looks more like small tactics than epic batlles. Then again my information is very limited at this time. Anyway...

I've played Age of Empires II and I liked it but the AI can be a pain. One of its greatesty drawbacks is that the enemies peasants eventually stop collecting materials and instead just stand around. What good is that?

So, what would you suggest I check out? Thanks.

You might want to try Dune 2*, Dune 2000 or Emperor: Battle for Dune. Same company, same genre, same flaws, but also the same level of fun (at least for me, and I'm another C&C lover).

*if you manage to find a computer able to run it ;).

Earth 2160, Warlords Battlecry III, Rising Kingdoms, Battle Realms and Dark Reign 2.

Oh! And Dawn of War: Dark Crusade was fun.

Jaz already mentioned Emperor: Battle for Dune - which is an excellent game.

BTW, I just bought Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars from the bargain bin @ 7 euros for myself. So far it has been wonderful.

Also, Worldshift?

@ Jaz. Thanks for the suggestions. Was Dune 2 that hardware/GPU intensive?

@ Zakhary - Make sure you get the expansion Kane's Wrath. And, yes, I agree, it is a really fun game. By the way, everything you suggested is RTS and not turned based, correct? Thanks for the suggestions.

I like RTS games quite a bit myself, I just wish there were more quality titles to choose from recently. I used to be a *huge* fan of Warcraft 1/2 (didn't care for WC3 though) and Starcraft.

@Rills. You *must* play Supreme Commander when you can, it's the best RTS of recent years imo, especially if you like Sci-fi and large scale battles.

I tried C&C 3, but had a hard time getting into it after playing SC. The maps and battles just seemed so small.

Rise of Legends is another good RTS that I would recommend. It has an interesting setting, and a strong single-player campaign.

@ Jaz. Thanks for the suggestions. Was Dune 2 that hardware/GPU intensive?
No, but it's rather old, and I remember having had trouble to get it to run in DOSbox when I tried to play it a few years ago.

Ooh, what Zakhary said: I loved most of the games he mentioned; Earth 2160, Warlords Battlecry III, Rising Kingdoms, Battle Realms and DOW, never tried dark Reign or World Shift though. Oh, and the games he mentioned are all either fantasy or SF .

To add to what JDR13 said about ROL: I absolutely adored Rise of Legends, the follow-up to Rise of Nations, which is quite different and a lot more imaginitive than the original rather generic RON.
The campaign has a really good story too, and you get a bunch of interesting units.

I did try Dune, but it felt a bit aged for me by today's standards. Maybe I'm just full of BS. :p

Last edited:
The only ones I like nowadays are hybrid rts/rpg spellforce series and sins of solar empire. Homeworld series is okay too even if there is bit too much puzzle in it for me.

@ Zakhary - Make sure you get the expansion Kane's Wrath. And, yes, I agree, it is a really fun game. By the way, everything you suggested is RTS and not turned based, correct? Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, RTS as you requested, right? If this would have been about turn-based games my first suggestion would have been the Age of Wonder series :D

I think all my suggestions are the way we like it. Old school RTS games with base-building etc.... Just like Command & Conquer or Dune.

Yes, RTS as you requested, right? If this would have been about turn-based games my first suggestion would have been the Age of Wonder series :D

I think all my suggestions are the way we like it. Old school RTS games with base-building etc…. Just like Command & Conquer or Dune.

There my tastes differ from Zakhary's: for turn-based fantasy, I put the HOMM series first, then Disciples. I just could never get 'into' AOW.

Re the Spellforce series: although they are not pure RTS, this is an RPG forum anyway, right? …so members here will also enjoy RPG anyway, and therefore should hopefully not mind hybrids.
Well, if you enjoy both RPG and RTS, and a fantasy theme, getting yourself Spellforce Universe is an excellent investment.

More RTS oriented along these lines is a game I had tons of fun with : (especially skirmish mode) : Heroes of Annihilated Empires.

Come to think of it, Age of Mythology is another one of the funnest games I've ever played, and has an excellent campaign as well.

There my tastes differ from Zakhary's: for turn-based fantasy, I put the HOMM series first, then Disciples. I just could never get 'into' AOW.

Something is seriously wrong when two people are talking about turn-based games and neither of them mentions King's Bounty. I can only assume you guys haven't played it yet. ;)

Something is seriously wrong when two people are talking about turn-based games and neither of them mentions King's Bounty. I can only assume you guys haven't played it yet. ;)

Ummmm….. …in our defense… that's a hybrid… :blush: :blush:

Well, I did start it, but new games coming out kept interfering. Yes, I must really make a plan to really get going with it - but AArgghh!! RL's been really interfering with my gaming schedule lately. :-/

Don't you just hate it when that happens?

Well, I did start it, but new games coming out kept interfering. Yes, I must really make a plan to really get going with it - but AArgghh!! RL's been really interfering with my gaming schedule lately. :-/

Don't you just hate it when that happens?

I think many have mentioned that here previously. I think rpgs are just too time consuming as a hobby.

Nowadays I think my games (and books) more like as an personal library. Even if you own a whole library of them it doesnt mean you have to have played them all.

Last edited:
If this would have been about turn-based games my first suggestion would have been the Age of Wonder series :D
I never really played the game myself, but I had the soundtrack and it was exceptional. Still listening to it from time to time.

Dune 2000 is basically just an upgraded version of Dune 2, so I strongly recommend it. It's definetly in the same "family" as C&C. Dune Emperor is somewhat different, but still good.

Empire at wars is pretty good if you like Star Wars and galactic conquest mode (story included) where you can fight in both space and ground. The galactic map mode is realtime too and theres a slider for it and another for the battles that you can use to slow the game down if you prefer "slow" rts. It also has huge amount of mods including several good big ones.

Heres video of space battles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFUOvHL5618&feature=related

Ground battle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzpI4-rAT0o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkrTsNSeqRc&feature=related

Too bad lucasarts hasnt made a sequel. This one is one of my favorite games. I

Last edited:
Mods for Empire at War, eh? Any good ones you'd recommend?

Mods for Empire at War, eh? Any good ones you'd recommend?

This site has too many mods to count:
http://empireatwar.filefront.com/

I picked "awakening of the rebellion" mod according to the download count and score points for forces of corruption. And "steiner" mod for original game. However atleast steiner doesnt work with the story campaign so Im not playing the mods yet. Im trying to finish the stories first.

BTW steam has good offer of RTS currently. Warhammer 40k complete, Company of heroes complete, Men of war complete and World in Conflict complete are all in christmas sale. Warhammer and Company are both available in the THQ pack also (you get tons of other games in it). If youre intested of somthing different theres also Pacific Storm complete available for no more than few euros.

Back
Top Bottom