Cyberpunk 2077 - E3 Trailer

Where can we see the demo?

I'm just pulling some comments from people who saw it ( on Twitter, more credible ones I've stumbled), but sadly, no public demo.

looks really friggin sweet.

Except for First person oriented, I guess the leaks were right. I mean, I get it, it's easier for gameplay/animation, but why not just let me run around in Third person. Doesn't have to be perfect, I think someone even made a mod for it for Deliverance. :'(

"Level of detail is off the chart for an open world game. This game is as dense sideways as it is up and down"

For JDR: "Also there’s full frontal nudity and you can take people back to your apartment for a one night stand, if you fancy it. "

Seems also there is some kind of underworld, below the city, overall seems the most "varied city", perhaps ever in video game.

Exploration is encouraged. Witcher was horizontally huge, Cyberpunk is vertically huge

Guns- 3 basic "types" - Power Weapons (heavy hitting/stagger), Tech Weapons (penetrating through cover), Smart Weapons (tracking/following)

V is a fully voiced character. Both Male and Female completely voiced.
V's personality is shaped by player. Backstory and interactions shape V's personality.

No level scaling. 2 forms of XP - Core XP - Main Missions and Street Cred - Side missions
Higher Street Cred opens new exclusive vendors and fixers (new jobs)

Last edited:
I really don't understand why someone would claim 1st person is less RPG than 3rd person? I feel the opposite, 1st is much more immersive to me. I can understand preferring one or the other, but that's a different thing (I can understand Bobo wanting to see the character for example).

I'm liking a lot off what I'm seeing, but prefer set classes that actually matter to character systems that are completely open. It also sounds really action focused, but I don't mind that if the RPG aspects are as solid as they promise. I've never been a fan off the Witcher games, but this one just might make me a fan of CDPR.

Except for First person oriented, I guess the leaks were right. I mean, I get it, it's easier for gameplay/animation, but why not just let me run around in Third person. Doesn't have to be perfect, I think someone even made a mod for it for Deliverance. :'(

I got to say i really prefer first person games over third person. It's just more immersive to me. System Shock in third person? it would have been a whole other game and not a very immersive one, it would not have the intensity. If i want to look at my character in a RPG there's usually an inventory screen.

Ultimately i would prefer if i could switch to third person, like in TES. BUT only if the game is perfectly designed for both, and that does take a lot of extra time, and it might not even be perfect, having to take both into account when designing combat. They're probably doing the right thing focusing on just one.

I bet they have tried both and came to the conclusion that first person is better for this type of game, the combat specifically and perhaps the interaction with the world (consoles etc), cyberspace.

edit:
https://twitter.com/JesseCox/status/1006625254574346240

good to see.. got to hate when you have an invisible body.

Last edited:
I got to say i really prefer first person games over third person. It's just more immersive to me. System Shock in third person? it would have been a whole other game and not a very immersive one, it would not have the intensity. If i want to look at my character in a RPG there's usually an inventory screen.

That's not really a valid example. System Shock is a first-person shooter hybrid, not an RPG.

RPGs can work great with either view. Which one you prefer is purely subjective. I still think Gothic 1&2 were possibly the most immersive games I've ever played, and I couldn't imagine playing them in any view other than third-person. Dead Space 1&2 are another great example.

That doesn't mean I prefer third-person though. It depends entirely on which games we're talking about. For example, I almost never use the third-person mode in TES or Fallout, but I've seen lots people who play those games exclusively in third-person.

I really don't understand why someone would claim 1st person is less RPG than 3rd person? I feel the opposite, 1st is much more immersive to me. I can understand preferring one or the other, but that's a different thing (I can understand Bobo wanting to see the character for example).

Weeell, as I see it, Third person is better for RPG, especially action based. It simply gives you a larger "framework"/whole player body and movement, to show progression, like changing player's animations.
Immersion wise, they both really have their pros and cons. In intense, dramatic dialogue scenes, first person is better: that's why horror games are mostly like this. Also for spotting little details in environment, with games that focus on that kind of storytelling: Deus Ex, Bioshock. Stealth as well: player having wider angle than his character feels like "cheat", especially when AI is ( usually) easy to exploit..whistle->lure->takedown. And ofc, for ranged combat.
But player customization, melee ( featuring larger number of opponents and variety of weapons with different range and animations), visual connection to character: Third person all the way.

New screenshots.

Big dude in the first screen was in the trailer, sitting on a bench and probably the guy who pulled an eye out of its socket…

That's not really a valid example. System Shock is a first-person shooter hybrid, not an RPG.

RPGs can work great with either view. Which one you prefer is purely subjective. I still think Gothic 1&2 were possibly the most immersive games I've ever played, and I couldn't imagine playing them in any view other than third-person. Dead Space 1&2 are another great example.

That doesn't mean I prefer third-person though. It depends entirely on which games we're talking about. For example, I almost never use the third-person mode in TES or Fallout, but I've seen lots people who play those games exclusively in third-person.

Actually System Shock (1) is more adventure/RPG than shooter, third person would have been awful :) System Shock 2 i guess you can say is RPG/Shooter (since, well, you can shoot and in first person). But you could probably call this one that as well (didn't play yet so..), i don't see how it would be any different.

Yes it depends on the game totally, i just find that the most intense games i've played has been first person. Again, i bet they have played around a lot with this before deciding it just works better. In TES i use first person when i integrate a lot with the environment, third person usually when facing many enemies at once, and when exploring i switch back and forth all the time.

I meant System Shock is more FPS when it comes to the mechanics. I agree third-person wouldn't work for System Shock, but that has more to do with the fact that it was designed around playing in first-person than what genre we think it is.

If those are legit gameplay screens, I have a feeling this game is going to sell a LOT of new graphics cards. :)

From IGN:

E3 2018: CYBERPUNK 2077 DOESN'T LOOK LIKE THE WITCHER, BUT IT DOES LOOK INCREDIBLE
We've seen a live gameplay demo of Cyberpunk 2077, and walked away incredibly impressed.

Six Years after its first reveal, I have seen a live demo of Cyberpunk 2077, and it looks like everything I was hoping it would be. A beautiful and sprawling RPG set in an alternate future that sits somewhere between Dredd, Blade Runner, and The Fifth Element.

The biggest surprise is that the gameplay is almost entirely first-person. With a helluva lot of guns to fire and damage values popping up as your bullets hit enemies, the combat plays out more like Borderlands or Deus Ex than it does The Witcher 3. There are tons of abilities to use during combat, including bullet ricocheting and a bullet time slow down that came in handy quite a bit during the 45 minute demo I saw.

The shooting looks solid as well, though it’s always hard to tell without going hands on. Shotguns, pistols, and an enemy-seeking rifle all had kick and feedback to them that I maybe wasn’t expecting from the studio behind The Witcher. It seems slower than something like Borderlands, but definitely faster than Deus Ex, and using abilities in conjunction with your guns clearly seemed important.

And while we saw a bit of stealth, and I’m sure using the Mantis arm blades and a late game wall run ability will help facilitate that, our demo was mostly guns-blazing. One cool moment was when the player took out an enemy stealthily, then jacked directly into him to get a schematic of the base they were fighting through, hacking various systems to cause havoc.

Outside of the heat of battle, however, Cyberpunk’s RPG core shines bright and clear. You take quests, talk to NPCs with branching dialogue options, and explore an open world only limited by your “Street Cred” value -- which can be increased by doing jobs, or even by putting on sweet looking cloths, like a leather jacket that had a 5% increase to Street Cred in addition to other stats.

You play as a mercenary cyberpunk named V, a bespoke character that you can customize to be male or female and deck out with tats, electronics, and all sorts of other outfits befitting the game’s name. You also assign points to the same six stats from the original Cyberpunk 2020 tabletop game: Strength, Constitution, Intelligence, Reflexes, Tech, and (my favorite) Cool.

But Cyberpunk also pulls away from other typical RPG molds. Instead of picking a class archetype, you get to customize and specialize as you see fit during the game, making your own class of sorts. You get to customize V’s backstory as well, and instead of more typical options you might expect, there are questions like picking your “Childhood Hero.”

But while your character is your own, this is clearly as much of an open-world RPG as The Witcher 3. We saw V, a women in the demo I watched, walking around the dense and winding Night City to talk to allies, get quests from shady criminal sources, and upgrade her abilities and body parts.

At one point she went to her Ripperdoc to install an optical scanner and a hand upgrade called Subdermal Grip. The increased grip strength upped the damage of her guns, as well as brought up a previously-missing ammo counter. The eye (which you see installed in her head from its perspective and is one of the all-time creepiest and coolest pieces of equipement I’ve seen in a game) gives V the ability to zoom and scan enemies and vehicles.

That scanning is important, because there appear to be four different types of damage in Cyberpunk 2077: Physical, Thermal, EMP, and Chemical. Scanning shows you what damage the enemy uses, as well as what they are weak or strong against.

There were also equipement and chip slots, and one chip we saw towards the end of the demo gave V a robot spider about the size of a dog that would follow and fight for her. It rocked. Player choice seems incredibly important to Cyberpunk, and I feel like we only scratched the surface of its customization options

And did I mention vehicles? Because, yes, you can drive in this game. It’s not totally clear how big Night City is, but it’s streets were at least sprawling enough to hop in what looked like a futuristic Lambo and get in a mobile gun fight. The AI companion took the wheel as V leaned out the window and shot people out of a van in front of them. It was tense, though the map doesn’t look nearly as open or free for driving like it is in GTA 5 from what I saw.

That said, Night City seems to have a lot of depth and height to it if you’re walking around. It’s got huge sky-rises full of things to do, sodas to buy (which can be used later like most RPG food), and V used elevators to get between floors. Like I said, it comes out as a dense city with lots of side paths to explore.

And Cyberpunk has more AI civilians just bustling around on ground level than I’ve seen in most games. Walking around in first person made the city streets feel alive with action, not like a game. It was truly remarkable.

Cyberpunk 2077’s writing and voice acting seemed superb as well from what I could tell. It was clever and well-written -- at one point a dialogue choice had V chastise her Ripperdoc for narrating what he was doing, poking fun at another game trope.

The dialogue options also seemed like they had real weight to them. At one point, a deal gone south made V end up getting hacked by her enemy, a line plugged into her that acting as a digital lie detector. The player could lie still, but when she said that she didn’t have back-up (she did) it caused them to search for her partner. All the while, the option to just grab the gun and start a fight persisted, but the player was able to talk their way through without conflict.

Those dialogue options don’t feel as stationary as The Witcher 3, either. Occasionally more casual dialogue choices would pop up while walking around with V’s NPC partner. That, coupled with the first-person camera, makes Cyberpunk 2077 seems significantly more immersive than having more structured conversations as Geralt.

CD Projekt also explicitly called Cyberpunk 2077 "a mature experience intended for mature audiences" and that players would "not only have a chance to engage with the game world but also with its people.” They happened to say that right after V carried a naked women she had rescued for a job out of a building, and during a cutscene where we then see V waking up in the morning in nothing but her underwear. You can read between the lines for yourself, but it sounds like… let’s call it “romance” options will be in Cyberpunk too.

A handful of cutscenes were the only times Cyperpunk left first-person -- apart from driving which gives you the option to swap, though first-person has a sweet MPH UI on your windshield. It’s nice to know that you’ll be able to see your custom V during the game.

Cyberpunk 2077 is definitely not just “Cyberpunk Witcher,” it’s something a whole lot more than that. The core of what I loved about The Witcher is clearly there, but in a wild and exciting new shell that stands as something wholly its own. Questions about how free its open world feels, the quality of it stories, and if the guns are actually good to shoot when they are in our own hands persists, but having finally seen Cyberpunk 2077 in action, I’m more excited for it than ever.

I wouldn't put too much store in these early screenshots. The early material for W3 was very next gen, but was cut down to size by release.

As for first person, I'll gladly take it for this type of game. Generally I prefer it, unless the gameplay really demands third person. Particularly for shooter-heavy gameplay, I'd rather first person.

I wouldn't put too much store in these early screenshots. The early material for W3 was very next gen, but was cut down to size by release.

( From their comments) I think they are much more cautious this time around, as Witcher III was their first large scale game, but still wait and see.

Anyway back to above, all of this sounds amazing. Street cred seems interesting way ( to restrict exploration/give open world progression) but sounds like something that has to be implemented really well.

They added Constitution, but removed Luck, Empathy, Humanity and Attractiveness..but these are typical dump stats and never work well, especially in this type of game. Cool stat seems important, this is The Cyberpunk stat.
Seems crazy walking around with giant Robot spider pet and perfectly normal here.

You play as a mercenary cyberpunk named V, a bespoke character that you can customize to be male or female and deck out with tats, electronics, and all sorts of other outfits befitting the game’s name. You also assign points to the same six stats from the original Cyberpunk 2020 tabletop game: Strength, Constitution, Intelligence, Reflexes, Tech, and (my favorite) Cool.

But Cyberpunk also pulls away from other typical RPG molds. Instead of picking a class archetype, you get to customize and specialize as you see fit during the game, making your own class of sorts. You get to customize V’s backstory as well, and instead of more typical options you might expect, there are questions like picking your “Childhood Hero.”

We finally have a definitive answer to the most widely asked question about the game. Full character customization is in, and it sounds awesome from the way he describes it.

It sounds like they scrapped the class system that had been mentioned earlier in development. I'm guessing it was more work than they thought it was worth, and I doubt too many people are really going to care given all the customization options.

We finally have a definitive answer to the most widely asked question about the game. Full character customization is in, and it sounds awesome from the way he describes it.

It sounds like they scrapped the class system that had been mentioned earlier in development. I'm guessing it was more work than they thought it was worth, and I doubt too many people are really going to care given all the customization options.

True, I probably had too high hopes for that. 2020's roles are so unique and diverse, it would be like designing 9 different games.
More open system fits better for sandbox, but I'm a bit worried it will go "Bethesda way" ( become master of everything...eventually).

Yeah i'm not gonna take the screens, or even videos the least seriously this time around :D It'll be a kick ass game i'm sure. Glad i bought a 1080ti recently gonna look awesome on the OLED.

Bloody hell, I'm still using my 970. Want to exchange? I'll throw in a few game codes. :p

They added Constitution, but removed Luck, Empathy, Humanity and Attractiveness..but these are typical dump stats and never work well, especially in this type of game. Cool stat seems important, this is The Cyberpunk stat.

Good decision imo, as I don't see those things fitting in as well as the other six stats. Besides, those weren't in the base material anyways.

As far as the visuals in those screen shots, they're great but not so unreal for people to have reason to doubt them imo. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided already had visuals close to that level if you played it on the highest settings, and that game will be 4 or 5 years old by the time CyberPunk is released.

No, I think those screens are completely legit and that we can fully expect the game to look like that on the right hardware.

Back
Top Bottom