Shadows: Awakening - Review @ Selectbutton

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Selectbutton checked out the action RPG Shadows: Awakening:

Shadows: Awakening Review

The Heretic Kingdoms series is no stranger to the action-RPG genre, but until now games have been limited to the PC. Shadows: Awakening marks the first entry for the series to release on Xbox One, and PlayStation 4, although the game is also available on PC.
There are subtle references that fans of the previous titles would appreciate, but newcomers to the franchise (the last game released in 2004) shouldn’t have any problem understanding the self-contained narrative. Where similar titles have been adding cooperative features for both online and local multiplayer, Shadows: Awakening focuses on the single-player experience. While the isometric perspective is familiar, some intriguing gameplay mechanics help propel the game past its competition.

[...]

Simply Put
Shadows: Awakening proves that loot-focused action-RPGs can feature a deep narrative with meaningful side quests. The unique party system works in unison with the combat mechanics, allowing you to put together a devastating combination of attacks. Featuring a lengthy narrative, and reason to play through multiple times, this unassuming title may be the sleeper hit you have been looking for.

Score: 8/10 - Great
More information.

Interesting, 8/10 is exactly how I summed up the game in my review on Steam.

I'm really having fun with this title. On Normal, the combat may be a bit too easy for many here, but the story is a definite strong point. I played Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms, but the story was never finished. I'm really anxious to see how it plays out, finally.

Shadows: Awakening proves that loot-focused action-RPGs can feature a deep narrative with meaningful side quests. The unique party system works in unison with the combat mechanics, allowing you to put together a devastating combination of attacks. Featuring a lengthy narrative, and reason to play through multiple times, this unassuming title may be the sleeper hit you have been looking for.

Neat, I'll check it out on a discount.

Back
Top Bottom