Dark Souls - Hands-on @ RPS, Eurogamer

Good lord, this must be the worst console port in the history of gaming. I've never heard of any PC game being locked to a low res like that. Why on Earth would Namco do that?

I was going to pick this one up on sale, but it seems not even worth $5-10.

What is even the point of the fake resolution settings? You can already choose to run any game at 1024x720 and it will always scale to your display. This game sounds like a complete POS.

Probably to cut costs... It's easier and cheaper to stretch the thing than it is to write a few more lines of code I guess.

Probably to cut costs… It's easier and cheaper to stretch the thing than it is to write a few more lines of code I guess.

But everything already stretches to fit your monitor, why would they add fake resolution settings in the UI that don't do anything?

Having played this on console, I'd agree that it's far more an action game than an rpg. I still enjoyed it, but if you're looking for strictly an rpg to play, keep looking.

-Carn

i preordered it a week ago on steam. More to show respect than from excitement Besides GFWblabla its all good in my opinion

Also, you should consider that besides the port, they put some serious resources in that DLC. So they've shown enough love

i preordered it a week ago on steam. More to show respect than from excitement Besides GFWblabla its all good in my opinion

Also, you should consider that besides the port, they put some serious resources in that DLC. So they've shown enough love

Pre-ordered the Steam version on GMG myself with a good 25% off deal. In fact the Steam version also includes the GFWL code which means that if you have the retail disk or data, you can use the code to activate the game without the Steam DRM.

One thing that I heard on forums that I liked about the game is that you have the option to grind to increase your stats and proceed well into the game, or rely on your combat skill to pass through. Option seems to be a feature in this game.

I have a question for those that have played this on consoles:

Can you save anytime you want to? Or is this one of those "checkpoint" save systems?

Checkpoints. The game would absolutely blow if you could save anywhere, it would be like having a save-anywhere feature in a Rouge-like game, it would defeat the very purpose of playing the game. Saving at the bonfire camp resets the level and enemies will spawn again (not bosses though).

Strange, 29 comments and still Joxer hasn't popped up saying "I won't play this silly game 'cause mobs do respawn"...

GFWL is a no go for me.

GFWL is definitely a huge PITA, and made me consider waiting to buy it on sale, but locking the resolution at 1024x720 is just ridiculous.

Does this even qualify as a port, or is it more like a PS3 emulator they are shipping?

If the game's all about making the same twitchy run at the same boss mob 20 times just so you can figure out the pattern to its power attacks or whatever, I think I'll pass. Sounds like it has a well-imagined, fantastical world, though, which I like. Maybe I'll get it in a sale down the road.

Maybe it was secretly developed by Bioware. :)

You would be a troll if you said it had more rpg merits then any of biowares stuff. It's not even close.

Good to see this on pc esp since I can now mod it to make it easier.

Back
Top Bottom