Witcher UK mag review slams, The Witcher?

The Witcher
Well, the reviewer is absolutely wrong. The Witcher is right up there with Planescape Torment for atmosphere and writing; and as big a fan of all the gothic games as I am, I am leaning towards the Witcher being better than all 3. If you love RPG, run out and BUY this game as soon as you can. This game is a Classic, destined to be in the "greatest RPG" discussion in the future.

Here is my theory. The Witchers style of CRPG is so new and innovative, that the reviewers freak out. OOOHHHH CHANGE IS BAD. UGGHHH. (Okay I didn't need to add the caveman grunting but it was so much fun to write.) Really now, humans as a whole resist change in any form and they are scared of the unknown. So here comes The Witcher the first REAL attempt at a CRPG. There have been other great games but you never really did any role playing within the game. You were always thinking about hmmm ok if I kill her then I can get the sword of the RAT KING+ 5 or if I am friendly to her she will give me the sword of the RAT KING +5 plus she will teach me sneaky rat stance. That is ratterific. Hmmm ok I'll just be friendly then I can get both. Do you see what I'm getting at here. In a majority of the games the choice and consquences boiled down to what you would recieve for doing said rat quest. In this game it is the first time I've ever played where I really am givin freedom for my choices because there is little instant gratification other than getting paid and finding out more of your quest. My choice not only affects if I recieve my payment or not but CHANGES THE WHOLE GAME while you play it. EX: Let the squirrels have the crates you just liberated from the lurkers and in Chapter two you will just find out what your actions meant when you gave them to them. This frees me up to play how I want to play instead of always looking out for the best choice to make to get the best stuff or powers.

I think this is just too new for the tiny little minds of these reviewers. I bet they are desperatly trying to find a situation where they can recieve uberweapons and powers instead of concentrating on what you would do if you were Geralt. True RPG exerience. Well, it's a beginning anyways.

From what I read about their patch release it sounds like they are one of the only companies going for a quality innovative game that doesn't appeal to the mass market but the game is so good that the market they are targeting will love every minute of it and their openess with thier fanbase in how they are dealing with any problems they are having is a refreshing change from the usual corporate BS. So I for one will be keeping a close eye on any products released by them (In English unfortunatly). If it is a RPG or strategy game I'll grab it up faster than anyone could say "Innovative" ten times fast.

Last edited:
Yes, strange as it may seem, there are that 1% of the population that have a completely different perspective of things from everyone else. I've used it before, but will say my analogy again - I knew a guy once who thought the "Batman & Robin" movie with George Clooney was the best Batman ever, while he hated "Batman Begins" and thought it was completely opposite of what the Batman mythos was all about. Just because 99.9% of the rest of the world doesn't agree with him doesn't deminish his opinion. But I also have one - he is an idiot.

So, I say that while these reviewers are entitled to their opinions, and no-one can force them to like something, it is beyond my comprehension to see their side of the story in this instance.

This issue has definitely been blown out of proportion. First of all, 5 out of 10 does not equal 50%. Does it actually say "50%" anywhere in that review? We don't know what an "average" score is on that particular reviewers scale. For all we know a 5 out of 10 might be only slightly below average to him\her. I consider 5.5 - 6 to be average, but that's just me, everyone is different.

Back
Top Bottom