GOG - Galaxy 2.0: Unite all Game Launchers

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PC Gamer reports that GOG wants to unite all game launchers with Galaxy 2.0:

GOG's quest to unite all game launchers just might work, and Microsoft is already on board

GOG Galaxy 2.0 wants to bring every game library and social interaction to one open source program.

Steam, Origin, Uplay, the Epic Games launcher, Battle.net, the Xbox app--there are too many launchers. It's the mantra of 2019, growing in volume and cadence with each passing day. Game companies want as much control over messaging and money as possible, and pushing their own game ecosystems is the way to achieve it.

From a strictly corporate perspective, I get it. But as someone that literally forgot he owns Forza Horizon 4 from launcher overload, I'm mad. I won't get into the weeds over exclusives and platform superiority here, but there's no debate that splitting our game libraries and friends across six or so different programs sucks. No matter where you stand, there's likely no changing the current trajectory of launcher-mania, which is why I'm so surprised GOG might solve the launchers problem with, well, a launcher.

In an E3 meeting with GOG representatives, I got an early look at GOG Galaxy 2.0, the launcher that just might unify them all. It sounds too good to be true and the tech is still taking shape, but if it works I am all in.

[...]
Thanks henriquejr!

More information.

It does sound too good to be true but one can dream.

Until that day, I'll keep my policy of buying games only DRM-Free or Steam and ignoring anything else exists. You're a developer and want to get 30-60 bucks from me? Make it DRM free or available on Steam, or lose me as a customer. Easy.

OH NOES!! If GOG successfully merges all these launchers, what will we all complain about?!

OH NOES!! If GOG successfully merges all these launchers, what will we all complain about?!

Hold the collective beer of this forum :)

GOG is CDPR; CDPR is Cyberpunk 2077. Everyone knows, at least here, than CP2077 is absolutely like GTA or Tetris or whatever. I mean there is a car and a city in the teaser so sure, totally GTA. Also if you are not convinced, one of them has a gun.

CP2077 is also definitely not ok for Gibson who no one gives a shit since 30 years but who has got a fanboy here who reads all his tweets and do not hesitate to tell us about it each time he can.
Yes, the same Gibson who invented Cyberpunk 20 years after Philipp K. Dick did and wrote his first book 2 years after Blade Runner. He even did not create the word Cyberpunk. But since when do you need to be the first to do something to create it? PR and Marketing people would be so bored if it was the case.

So you see, GOG is not safe at all even if they pull it out.

While such a unifying thing is good, it's also a better target for those who might want to break it : "One hack to rule them all" ...
If I think of that, I'm a bit surprised the Microsoft Updater hasn't been breached yet ...

It does sound too good to be true but one can dream.

Until that day, I'll keep my policy of buying games only DRM-Free or Steam and ignoring anything else exists. You're a developer and want to get 30-60 bucks from me? Make it DRM free or available on Steam, or lose me as a customer. Easy.

The amount of illogic thinking in this sentence just blew away my brain. What a mess...

Thank you for nothing.

BTW: STEAM is DRM and nothing else.

The amount of illogic thinking in this sentence just blew away my brain. What a mess…

Thank you for nothing.

BTW: STEAM is DRM and nothing else.

Wow, what a genius. Steam is DRM, really? How did you even figure it out? Was it because I said I buy only games that are "DRM-free OR Steam"? Impressive. Thanks for the enlightenment, your contribution is greatly appreciated.

Wow, what a genius. Steam is DRM, really? How did you even figure it out? Was it because I said I buy only games that are "DRM-free OR Steam"? Impressive. Thanks for the enlightenment, your contribution is greatly appreciated.

Hey genius, you just admitted that it makes ABSOLUTLY NO FRIGGING SENSE to accept STEAM as a means of business.

What does STEAM better than EPIC, Uplay, Origin or whatever? They are all bad, but STEAM is worse because they dwell in their power over the market.

That is like saying: "I won't buy anything to drink if it is not 100% nutrious and healthy or it is made by Coca Cola Inc." It is self contradiction in its purest form.

The answer to that is trivial, and the fact that you don't understand it is not my problem, and I can't bother to explain it to you. I guess you'll have to accept it's my choice and there is nothing you can do about it.

There's no denying that Steam has more extras than any other platform, but it's still funny how people overreact to something like Epic.

Oh no!! You mean I have to take an additional few seconds and click on a different icon on my desktop?!?

There's no denying that Steam has more extras than any other platform, but it's still funny how people overreact to something like Epic.

Oh no!! You mean I have to take an additional few seconds and click on a different icon on my desktop?!?

Damn, still butthurt about that disagreement we had a week in whatever thread it was? Going out of your way to call me out on something I know you agree with me is kinda desperate.

Bravo.

It's still my choice and there's nothing you can do about it, but mock away, since that's what a mature individual does in the face of other people's ability to choose freely what they want.

Dudes, chill. No need to get personal.

What's funny is that he just made a complete fool of himself because I wasn't even talking about him. I was talking about people who act that way in general. There are quite a few of them.

For one, I'm not a he.

And for two, just respect people with different opinions, please. I'd welcome if you quit harassing me in every comment I make in these boards to show how you think the exact opposite even if in previous threads you had a similar reasoning as mine. Talk about making a fool of oneself.

The depressing part is that this behaviour of yours comes from someone I think to be least old enough to have played Baldur's Gate games when they were first released.

Harassing you? Now you're just being silly.

If you're going to interpret every opposing opinion as harassment, you might as well quit now and go somewhere else.

Try RPG Codex. They're much gentler over there. :)

If anyone thinks that this is the extent of the difference between platforms, they haven't actually grasped the issue.

Which actually is pretty stereotypical for the average consumer.....

If anyone thinks that this is the extent of the difference between platforms, they haven't actually grasped the issue.

Which actually is pretty stereotypical for the average consumer…..

I like how you only quoted part of my post there. ;)

Like I said, Steam is the most feature-rich platform which is why many people prefer it, and that's understandable. People also like the convenience of having all their games on one platform which is also understandable.

Still, it's an inconvenience at worst. Unless you're one of those people who are going to claim that Epic is somehow immoral for taking advantage of capitalism. It's really no different than all the exclusives on console systems except you don't have to spend an extra $300-$400 to play a particular game.

Then all the platforms will have to pay a monthly launcher fee or something and then another fight will ensue.

I now have unlimited high speed internet but I can understand someone who gets a little pissed off watching all these launchers update, and has a slow connection or limited internet. Especially someone who sits at home in the sticks and only wants to play his or hers single player game that they downloaded all morning. Oh well, we live in a connected world.

Back
Top Bottom