Dragon Age 2 - Bonus Items List

this is the new shit!

Im strongly thinking of returning my DA because its still unopened and wait for the amazing full game edition that will be launched within a year.

I almost vomited into my hands.

How much of this stuff costs money?

Im strongly thinking of returning my DA because its still unopened and wait for the amazing full game edition that will be launched within a year.

…You'd save yourself a lot of money ;) "amazing" is subjective though, when you consider the overall shoddiness of DA1's DLC.

This is why i cant stand Bioware , All these EXTRA items, its so shameless how they nickel and dime the fans . There is much much more petty DLC to come, its just the beginning of a long drawn out marketing scam.

This is why i cant stand Bioware , All these EXTRA items, its so shameless how they nickel and dime the fans . There is much much more petty DLC to come, its just the beginning of a long drawn out marketing scam.

I've been thinking about this a lot, and while it still seems gross to me, it's not like they're withholding crucial game content, or holding a gun to your head and making you download it. No one cares that some cars don't automatically come with leather seats, turbocharged V-8, and in-dash navigation, so why should I care that Bioware is hocking some half-baked items and characters for their games?

I dunno...I see where you're coming from, but this seems to be more of an EA bit to me...

(I realize that not three posts before, I expressed a rather more visceral reaction to the news, but, like I said, I've been giving some of this stuff a lot of thought. Turning into a total fence-sitter on this one.)

I hear you Buzzkill . This is why many fans are waiting for the Ultimate Edition, if they make one, because the amount of DLC and the price is frustrating. I dont want to play an RPG in increments .

I'm only seeing 3 items listed on that page…a belt, a staff, and boots.
Secondary scroll bars are right next to the list. NOT a good page design, IMHO.

Eleven are free. Five come from buying the signature edition. Three from buying other games/hardware.

I didn't know the blood dragon armor was showing up in this game, too! But I guess my fighter won't wear it. Oh well.

The key here is that all can be ignored and are extras. I have like 8 of those but I will be ignoring them.

I've been thinking about this a lot, and while it still seems gross to me, it's not like they're withholding crucial game content, or holding a gun to your head and making you download it. No one cares that some cars don't automatically come with leather seats, turbocharged V-8, and in-dash navigation, so why should I care that Bioware is hocking some half-baked items and characters for their games?

I dunno…I see where you're coming from, but this seems to be more of an EA bit to me…
I also think that it's a non-issue. It's just a marketing device to convince more people to buy early, which brings in a higher margin and a higher charts ranking.

Differentiating between EA and Bioware doesn't make sense anymore though. The "old" Bioware period ended in 2005 (bought out by Elevation Partners), and in the 4 years since 2007 (bought by EA) Bioware has become a core part of EA. They can no longer even start production on anything before marketing knows exactly how to sell it.

I also think that it's a non-issue. It's just a marketing device to convince more people to buy early, which brings in a higher margin and a higher charts ranking.

Differentiating between EA and Bioware doesn't make sense anymore though. The "old" Bioware period ended in 2005 (bought out by Elevation Partners), and in the 4 years since 2007 (bought by EA) Bioware has become a core part of EA. They can no longer even start production on anything before marketing knows exactly how to sell it.

I should have clarified. Before Bioware partnered up with EA, I didn't see so much of the DLC. Post-partnership, however...

This isn't to shift blame or anything, either. It's simply an observation.

I know this is standard corporate practise, but isn't this exactly how creativity dies? Sure they have more money to make fantastic cutscenes, hire great voice actors and build jaw dropping visuals, but gameplay side takes a hit.

Creativity and big companies simply doesn't fit. ;)

There are scientific studies about this. In modern, fast moving branches innovation (I take the liberty to interpret creativity in that way) is generally being done by new or small companies. Exception: High market penetration hurdles, for example game consoles. Big companies have a tendency towards being risk averse. It's hard to justify something if you can't support the requested budget with hard numbers because they need numbers to assess the risk.
Big companies deal with the situation by either founding small daughter companies, buying into promising start-ups rather early or simply buying into a new market when it's developed.

Take Valve for example. What are they doing? Polishing Steam, making a Half Life every couple of years … and bringing in fresh blood quite often by hiring top notch mod teams, etc.

edit:
A pretty interesting explanation of Ubi's position on innovation & brands can be found in the Game Forum Germany Mediathek, 2011, Blue Byte / Ubisoft on The Settlers going online. Most, but not all vids are in English.

I know this is standard corporate practise, but isn't this exactly how creativity dies? Sure they have more money to make fantastic cutscenes, hire great voice actors and build jaw dropping visuals, but gameplay side takes a hit.

If you can show it has a real negative impact on the game then sure, but since they are completely optional power items you can ignore I don't see how that could be the case.

Back
Top Bottom