Mass Effect: Legendary Edition - Massive Upgrade

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Pushsquare reports that Mass Effect Legendary Edition is a big improvement over the original:

Hands On: Mass Effect Legendary Edition Is a Massive Upgrade That Plays Better Than Ever

Good to see you, Commander

We've waited an entire console generation for BioWare to finally remaster the Mass Effect trilogy, but it looks as though our patience has been rewarded with a collection that goes above and beyond. Ideally, we would be bringing you a full review of Mass Effect Legendary Edition right now, but we simply haven't had it long enough to play more than a chunk of the first game. As such, we can't say for sure whether Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3 are on par with what we've seen from Mass Effect 1 -- but just know that our expectations have been surpassed so far.

All of the screenshots used in this article were taken directly from our PS5. Some were taken using Legendary Edition's new photo mode, but we didn't use any of its editing tools.

Legendary Edition's version of Mass Effect looks like a different game -- and we mean that in the best possible way. BioWare has really gone to town on the 2007 RPG, overhauling its visuals across the board. Characters and environmental assets have been replaced with much higher quality models. Textures have been enhanced significantly. The lighting's been redone. The whole galaxy's been pumped full of colour. But all of these changes don't rob Mass Effect of its charm. Sure, it doesn't look like the screen's coated in mud anymore, but the series' trademark use of lens flare remains, and it's essentially the exact same game in terms of design. At a glance, it could pass for a recent PS4 release, and that's no small feat.

[...]
More information.

I'm playing it now on my xbox...textures are way better but you can still see that it's an older game for models etc....but looks decent.

I remember booting Mass Effect 1 up when it originally came out, played about an hour or so, it didn't grab me initially and the fact that I was already playing a game I was really enjoying, I shelved it for years, bought 2&3 and promised myself to play all 3. Just as I was about to they announced the Legendary editions. Hopefully the wait has been worthwhile, really looking forward to playing my first play thru.

It's on my wish list, along with 26 other games. I want to play this so I can see all the DLC but I've already seen most of the game. Kinda hard to go there when there's so much I haven't seen at all yet.

Legendary Edition's version of Mass Effect looks like a different game -- and we mean that in the best possible way. BioWare has really gone to town on the 2007 RPG, overhauling its visuals across the board. Characters and environmental assets have been replaced with much higher quality models. Textures have been enhanced significantly. The lighting's been redone. The whole galaxy's been pumped full of colour. But all of these changes don't rob Mass Effect of its charm. Sure, it doesn't look like the screen's coated in mud anymore, but the series' trademark use of lens flare remains, and it's essentially the exact same game in terms of design. At a glance, it could pass for a recent PS4 release, and that's no small feat.

Yeah because all we need are better graphics, the clunky gameplay can be kept because who cares about gameplay, all I want is frustration in 4K.

Yeah because all we need are better graphics, the clunky gameplay can be kept because who cares about gameplay, all I want is frustration in 4K.
Is it wrong what they say about the improved gameplay? IIRC there were a lot of related items on the list, and in this article there are more paragraphs on gameplay improvements than graphics.

Played all 3 ME games and replayed first one at least twice. Liked it more then sequels. Looking from contemporary perspective, I would say it has strongest RPG feeling. But at time of release I thought its pretty simplistic RPG, made for consoles, but with stellar production values, especially represented by cinematic feeling during dialogues. As per my opinion, that was THE thing, ME really brought to the table.

Not sure if I will play this remake, perhaps later as I dont feel strong urge to get it on release. I have other games to play right now.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition - Before You Buy

Mass Effect Legendary Edition - The 10 Biggest Changes

The more I play the more I am enjoying it and taking my time.

I'm right there with Andrew, the first was my favorite and felt most like an rpg to me, followed by the second, and then the series ceases to exist for me. I can always replay the first two if ever the urge strikes. And heck no to that Origin platform, it will never be on my computer.

Is it wrong what they say about the improved gameplay? IIRC there were a lot of related items on the list, and in this article there are more paragraphs on gameplay improvements than graphics.

Depends what one considers improvements. A lot of the changes seem designed to just make the game less difficult.

Depends what one considers improvements. A lot of the changes seem designed to just make the game less difficult.
Huh? It has been a long time since I played it but "difficult" would be last characterization coming to my mind. Can I conclude that the new version is a console dumb down?

By the way I liked ME 1 very much, bought ME 2, when it came out, but gave up already during the tutorial part, when it read: "Press space to take cover.", "press space to jump over the table." "Press space to do something else depending on context." and so on. Since I expected, that the next line would be "Press space to win the game." I lost interest and never played it again (and also never cared for the sequel). Is it even possible to make something like that easier than it already is?

Huh? It has been a long time since I played it but "difficult" would be last characterization coming to my mind. Can I conclude that the new version is a console dumb down?

By the way I liked ME 1 very much, bought ME 2, when it came out, but gave up already during the tutorial part, when it read: "Press space to take cover.", "press space to jump over the table." "Press space to do something else depending on context." and so on. Since I expected, that the next line would be "Press space to win the game." I lost interest and never played it again (and also never cared for the sequel). Is it even possible to make something like that easier than it already is?

They say they are "Quality of Life" changes, but in fact they changed it to make the game easier, overall. They brought it more in line with the sequels, and by doing that the game becomes "less hard", all in all.

https://www.ign.com/wikis/mass-effect/Legendary_Edition_Changes#Combat_Changes

I replayed the first Mass Effect maybe a year ago, so my memories are pretty fresh and the only thing hard about it lies in its clunkiness, which is a fake kind of hard.

Yeah, it seems to be a bit of both, indeed. Some are just QoL and some make the game less difficult (and some do both). Ah well. I don't remember it being so difficult (nor so clunky) but it's a long time ago and memory is selective. :)

I'll make my own opinion if/when I play it.

I found me games challenging in the hardest difficulty mode, which is what you use if you care about challenge at all. Playing on difficulty 3 out of 5 and claiming the game is too easy wouldn't make much sense, would it? Even if that difficulty is tagged as "Veteran'.

With that said, difficulty was the thing I cared the least about when playing mass effect games. Loved every one of them to bits and I'm currently thoroughly enjoying playing through the Legendary Edition.

It's clearly marketed as a remaster, with some QoL improvements. No one's forcing you to buy it.

I replayed the first Mass Effect maybe a year ago, so my memories are pretty fresh and the only thing hard about it lies in its clunkiness, which is a fake kind of hard.
Ok, so when they reduced this "clunkiness" in the remaster this seems to be a good thing. I.e. if easier doesn't means less challenge but better usability, I have no problem with that.

I will still wait till some people here have played it and share their experience.

Back
Top Bottom