Wildermyth - Review @ Explorminate

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Explorminate has reviewed Wildermyth:

Reviews Tactics Turn Based

Wildermyth, by Worldwaker Games, is a turn-based tactical RPG where the player controls a party of mythic heroes seeking to defend the procedurally generated Yondering Lands against one of many possible threats.

Wildermyth comes with nine campaigns, five pre-designed and four procedurally generated, though even the designed campaigns feature a large element of procedural content. Each one features a circular map with a number of zones, and has either an event or a battle against one of the game's five factions, with the majority focused on whatever the main enemy of the campaign is. The map isn't available in its entirety from the beginning, as the game is broken up into three or five chapters with each additional chapter revealing a larger part of the map to explore.

[...]

Conclusion

Wildermyth is something special. Every part of the game is well done, and while I wish there were more events, this lack of quantity does not prevent it from being a great game. If you like tactical turn-based RPGs and want to play something unique and interesting, you definitely owe it to yourself to explore Wildermyth. I expect there are going to be some people out there who dislike it for some reason or another, but even then it is worth playing simply to see what Worldwaker Games has pulled off.

Score: 9/10
Thanks Henriquejr!

More information.

Curious what any Watchers think of this who play it. It is getting great reviews but I'm always leary of games that generate things dynamically - especially when it comes to the "story" bits.

I have made comments on it before:

- it takes story bits and adds them to the character progression, works surprisingly well.
- unique magic system you can use objects to create spells on the maps.
- lots of equipment and overworld map quests.

I think its worth playing, I enjoyed it and I plan on sitting down with the full release today.

A gem

This one is way out of my comfort zone given the art style but the excellent reviews and a decent Steam discount make me take the plunge and it is a hugely enjoyable and immersive RPG with increasing levels of complexity as you progress.

Dont let the first impressions of the graphics put you off....there is a genius of game design here.

That's all good to hear. The graphics don't appeal to me either... and that normally doesn't keep me from buying a game but, I dunno, there was something about them I found kind of off-putting.

Anyway, wishlisted now and will keep my eye on it more closely!

I'm playing the release candidate now...it's much more polished, I love how you only get a couple items after each combat that are character locked after they select them. Makes the story more the important part then managing all the inventory....plus being able to select reactions based moods you want between characters....is nice...

It provides the story element in in slide based info where you have input and can use skills and selections to change them....you decide where you go on the adventure map and if you recruit more.

I can easily overlook poor/dated graphics, if the story, exploration and combat are robust and enjoyable. And Pladio, no one ever finishes with Homm 3, you only take a small break until it reels you back in!!

i'll wait a few more days before pulling the plunge.

The video posted earlier and the good reviews so far made me wishlist it too. And I like the graphics, which made me think of Card Hunter, a game that I enjoyed more than I had expected.

9/10 seems generous but sounds like something I'll have to try regardless.

PC Gamer also gave it a 9/10. I think that will be the average. Something this unique deserves an extra point.

Added to my wishlist as well - sounds fun and good reviews. Going to try this soon.

... and I brought it. People here seem to like it and great reviews and it's not expensive ... and looks fun and different. So worth a try.

I bought it too. I had some interest since seeing a video on it a year or so back, but honestly I grabbed it now because gamers can be such a cynical, nitpicky bunch, and seeing this much near universal positivity directed toward this game and this small team felt like a bandwagon I wanted to be a part of.

I've only played ~1 hour, so no real impressions yet other than that I like the look, the writing is very lyrical, and that I was very frustrated in an early fight because I didn't fully understand how infusing works.

I bought it too. I had some interest since seeing a video on it a year or so back, but honestly I grabbed it now because gamers can be such a cynical, nitpicky bunch, and seeing this much near universal positivity directed toward this game and this small team felt like a bandwagon I wanted to be a part of.

I've only played ~1 hour, so no real impressions yet other than that I like the look, the writing is very lyrical, and that I was very frustrated in an early fight because I didn't fully understand how infusing works.

Yes, lots of little mechanics take experiencing it to understand in this game. Infusing is kind of cool though, different take on magic.

I'm still busy with Mercenaries Blaze, but I'm going to pick this one up too. Love to get random jewels like this out of nowhere.

I am enjoying it so far and the graphics don't bother me. Graphics only tend to bother me when I buy a game expecting a high level of 3D graphics and they don't deliver. Course there are also good graphics that I don't like the style which is a different thing. Luckily I enjoy the style of these. It has a rather odd but nice charm to it.

Back
Top Bottom