is there a MMORPG that has...

Mystery323x

Traveler
Is there any MMORPG that has a lot of instances both for group and solo.

i mean for the solo part does any game have instances that you can do at a low lvl and has challanging bosses at the end or anything?

Is there any MMORPG that has a lot of instances both for group and solo.

i mean for the solo part does any game have instances that you can do at a low lvl and has challanging bosses at the end or anything?

I can't think of much ... Guild Wars is good solo for low levels but later you need a guild.

I had heard that D&D Online was supposedly made more and more solo-friendly but cannot comment on that directly.

Not really, most all MMO instances are there to facilitate small to large groups.

Guild Wars is very doable solo nowadays, as long as you have Nightfall which gives you customisable heroes. I soloed all but two or three missions in prophesies with the help of my heroes, and I am by now means a very good player.
And for the hard missions you can usually find a pick up group, even though they can be hit and miss.

What Sorcha said. I have done the same thing and only got help from others for certain missions. There are plenty of people willing to help you do the missions and not force you to join a guild. I have not even gotten Nightfall yet, though I plan to and have made it to end of Prohesies basicly playing solo.

Lord Of The Rings Online has solo instances, but I'm not sure how many and how prevalent they are through the entire game. They may just be early level stuff to get you going.

You can play solo in World of Warcraft all the way to 70 but as soon as you go into ANY instance you MUST group. Unless of course the instance you go into is very much lower level than you, you would be fine but the rewards wouldnt even be worth the effort since they would be pretty much useless to your level...

Everquest 2 has lots of solo and group instances, they started the whole instance's game play, iirc. :)

Dungeon Runners you can do all dungeons solo or group. If you want to solo, just enter the dungeon yourself. If you want to group, you can do that in town then enter the dungeon. The game is strictly hack n slash though, but it is free to downloan and free to play unless you want access to the better items, then it is $5 monthly.

There's always City of Heroes/Villains. Plenty of instancing for all occasions.

Check out a lot of the free-to-play mmorpgs since they are good for playing solo. (which is what I do) Another game (when it comes out) is Hellgate:London but you can also play that single player so that's why.

PS. If you want a game where you control multiple chars at once check out Sword of the New World.

You could try the Minions of Mirth demo. It's very similar to Everquest(the original). The graphics aren't the greatest, but what do you expect from a $30 MMORPG with no monthly fee? (www.prairiegames.com)

You can also play the entire game as a single player game and never go online, if you like. Everything except for things that don't make sense for single player or require more than one character(e.g. guilds) work the same in single player as they do online. The major difference(now) between single player and online is that in single player you can still run a party of up to 6 characters while online you can only have one char running/account. (When the game was first released you could run a party of 6 characters online, but that was removed as it was, apparently, causing lag.)

The game is still being worked on and had a major update last May, and should have another fairly large update coming along shortly with another new area. That said not all of the character classes "epic" quests are finished as of yet.

If you like to mod games you get the whole source code and can modify/add to it as you wish and run your own server as long as you don't charge people to play it. They're also working on a generic MMORPG product which if you pay for a license you can setup your own MMORPG from scratch and charge whatever you like. There's also the basic version which is free to Minions of Mirth owners, but again you can't charge people to play on your game servers. I think the website for this is mmorpgkit.com, but there should be a link from the Prairie Games site.

(I like it because I can play it single player out of the box, or play online with other people when I feel like it w/o a monthly fee which I always felt was wasted on MMORPGs for me as I rarely had time to play often enough to justify a monthly fee. Not to mention that I'd likely have nothing to show for it when the game was closed down, i.e. no way to play single player or on private servers.)

Tabula Rasa instances are soloable. The devs have managed to (reasonably well) balance gameplay so that an instance that can be done by a group of six early, can be soloed about five levels later. The game is meant to be solo friendly as long as you're patient and willing to spend more time working on an instance.

That said, TR has an unconventional theme for a MMORPG. The setting is futuristic instead of fantasy and you're playing from the perspective of a magic-sensitive soldier fighting a war in which Earth has been lost and humanity nearly wiped out. What's left of humanity is part of an alliance of alien races who have suffered the same fate at the hands of the same enemy and are fighting for survival. TR is fast paced and kinda bleak, if that type of storyline doesn't appeal to you then I doubt you'd be happy there.

TR is great fun if it is your cup-of-tea, however, and it will be on store shelves on Friday.

I am a citizen of the now, with a commanding view
Many betatesters have said that TR is a borefest (warning). If you want a scifi shooter mmo try hellgate:diablo. You can even shoot fps style in that game.

Hellgate:diablo, world of warcraft, guild wars and lord of the rings online are all good for solo (and group). Its no wonder they are the only mmos ive bought in the last 5-6 years. ;)

Last edited:
Many betatesters have said that TR is a borefest (warning).
Not many, those testers were pretty few and far between. They were the typical 20 voices trying to be loud enough to sound like 200. Mostly they were disgruntled WoW players who insisted on comparing two very different games or they were PvP'ers who were mad because they weren't allowed to gank the rest of us while we fought a war for survival.

Plus, now that the headstart event is happening there are tons of newbies claiming they were in the beta who simply were not. I've been in TR since August and I know who the other testers are. We know Tabula Rasa backwards and forwards because we've had to repeat material a couple of times. These new "testers" simply don't have the knowledge of the game to have been testers.

Most testers, myself included, love TR, don't find it boring, and will be among the first to subscribe. Tabula Rasa may be unconventional but most won't find it boring. If you don't like fast pased games you won't like it, and if the beaten race stuggling for survival theme doesn't appeal to you then look elsewhere. However, I'll tell you that your (warning) is tenuous at best, the overwhelming majority of testers love TR and aren't going anywhere.
If you want a scifi shooter mmo try hellgate:diablo. You can even shoot fps style in that game.
I just started HGL last night and it's interesting, although very conventional and very simplified, at least early on. TR isn't a shooter and comparing these two games isn't anymore reasonable than comparing WoW and TR, they don't compare, they're too different. HGL is a horror mmo first with some sci-fi trappings but the emphasis is most definitely on horror. TR is a true sci-fi mmorpg from eyelashes to toenails.

Hellgate:diablo, world of warcraft, guild wars and lord of the rings online are all good for solo (and group). Its no wonder they are the only mmos ive bought in the last 5-6 years. ;)
Well! I guess you'd know then wouldn't you!? ;)

Last edited:
Not many, those testers were pretty few and far between. They were the typical 20 voices trying to be loud enough to sound like 200. Mostly they were disgruntled WoW players who insisted on comparing two very different games or they were PvP'ers who were mad because they weren't allowed to gank the rest of us while we fought a war for survival.

I know many testers who have been there since beta started and find it "not fun" and not just because of lack of pvp or that its not wow. Just wanted to give a warning - dont get your panties in a wad. Im still hoping itll turn good but Im not convinced enough to buy it on release. Its good to hear positive comments too though.
I just started HGL last night and it's interesting, although very conventional and very simplified, at least early on. TR isn't a shooter and comparing these two games isn't anymore reasonable than comparing WoW and TR, they don't compare, they're too different.

HGL is a shooter in that you can shoot the guns like in standard shooter without targetlocking - you can play it like fantasy doom which is a fun variation from standard mmog autoattack/special move -style combat. They are both scifi mmos with weapons - thats surely comparable if one is looking for scifi shooter mmo.

Most mmogs are quite alike so comparison are easy - most of them belong to the same "everquest-clone" group even. Differences are not usually that great apart from graphics and world setting imho.
Well! I guess you'd know then wouldn't you!? ;)

Well i did study them extensively for weeks before purchace. Good soloing is a must for me.

Last edited:
Well i did study them extensively for weeks before purchace. Good soloing is a must for me.
Then take it from someone who isn't a WoW fan or a sci-fi fan and still loves Tabula Rasa, you can solo easily. One of the main complaints of the nerf-callers is that instances can be solo'd. I don't care how extensively you think you've studied TR, you haven't played it and you're trying to sound like the voice of authority. Plus, you're very transparent in your attempts to use TR to shill for HGL and they are very different. Again, you haven't played TR so you can't compare. I have played both and HGL is good, but if you want the Tabula Rasa experience you won't find it in HGL, period, it isn't similar enough to be a substitute.

Too late, panties bunched. Two things that erk me no end are people who try to tell you what to like because of experience -- "I've played mmo x, y, and z and I can tell you this one is no good!". Irrelevant, your experience has nothing to do with my tastes and other reviews I read don't share you point of view.

The other thing is slamming one good product to shill another and buddy, you've done them both.

Gig, do you know if there is a trial for Tabula Rasa?
Sounds interesting to me but I don't want to shell out the money just to find out it isn't my cup of tea.

Then take it from someone who isn't a WoW fan or a sci-fi fan and still loves Tabula Rasa, you can solo easily. One of the main complaints of the nerf-callers is that instances can be solo'd. I don't care how extensively you think you've studied TR, you haven't played it and you're trying to sound like the voice of authority.

I wasnt speaking of TR. I never bothered to study it further before release due to the the constant flow of negative feedback. And I never said it was not good for solo - i just said it was lacking the "the fun" according to the betatesters.

Plus, you're very transparent in your attempts to use TR to shill for HGL and they are very different. Again, you haven't played TR so you can't compare. I have played both and HGL is good, but if you want the Tabula Rasa experience you won't find it in HGL, period, it isn't similar enough to be a substitute.

Both are diku muds with scifi shooter setting. The main stuff you do in both of them is very much the same - do quests, kill stuff, get levels and new equipment. Rest is just small details. Of course that is just my opinnion and im not forcing you to believe it if you find it "offensive". ;)

@pox67 -- You know, I'm not sure... you can still get the online preorder from plaync.com for 4.99 US and entitles you to play the headstart which goes until midnight tonight (I think) Central Time. I know that there isn't a free trial yet.

If you decide to do the preorder and try out TR make sure you order it from the plaync.com store. Gamestop hasn't been sending out preorder codes in a timely manner, plaync.com sends the code in the confirmation email. At any rate, if you preorder, you have 30 days, I think, to decide whether to subscribe. Today is the last day for preorders btw, tomorrow TR goes live and you'll have to buy the retail client. :)

I wasnt speaking of TR. I never bothered to study it further before release due to the the constant flow of negative feedback. And I never said it was not good for solo - i just said it was lacking the "the fun" according to the betatesters.
I am a beta tester and I'm telling you outright that the negativity that was expressed to you was not typical of the feelings expressed by the beta community. You can't give warnings, you have no experience. Everything you think you know is stuff you've heard from third party sources, that's the same as knowing nothing.
Both are diku muds with scifi shooter setting. The main stuff you do in both of them is very much the same - do quests, kill stuff, get levels and new equipment. Rest is just small details. Of course that is just my opinnion and im not forcing you to believe it if you find it "offensive". ;)
This is irrelevant. The design is the same in all RPGs SP or otherwise. The important part is in the small details and the details in this case make one game play kinda like Doom 3 with leveling and more emphasis on demons, and the other play like a slowed down version of Halo with leveling and more bleak storyline.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom