Best D&D City for a game

What is the best Dungeons & Dragons city for a game?

• Waterdeep

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Menzoberranzan

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Athkatla

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sharn (The City of Towers)

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Baldur's Gate

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Stormreach

• Sigil

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Neverwinter

• City of Greyhawk

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Other

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
Palanthas would be my first pick, but if I have to pick on that's actually listed on the poll, that would be Menzoberranzan. That city just always got my full attention, and no aspect ever seemed boring.

Stormreach :D

Okay, I vote for Sharn now. ;)

By request of Silver I've added 4 additional cities and to allow everyone to vote again, I removed the original votes.
So, here is a fresh start.

Wouldn't all quests in a Menzoberranzan-based game be like this?

Choose whether you want to assist evil genocidal backstabbing House A or B, in wiping out the other House, and receive a murder attempt on your life as a reward.

Well, as long as it's not based in Neverwinter….

Last edited:
Sigil for me, since it's a city of portals, which basically means endless possibilities. We saw parts of it in PS: T, but seeing a far more fleshed out version would be great.

This is just an impulse suggestion but maybe one of the cities from the Thay region? I always found the Red Wizards kind of intriguing.

I actually like it when they flesh out a smaller town; but in a very detailed way. For example, from the Forgotten Realms alone let's pick… uh…

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Ordulin

OK, not too many people know about Ordulin. (For those who know, yup, it's a city in Sembia.)

Now, Ordulin is interesting. It's big enough to set a large adventure in but small enough to feel like you're making big differences in what you do around the town.

From the Wiki:

"In 1484 DR, Vasen Cale, channeling the power of Amaunator and Lathander; and Drasek Riven, wielding the divinity of Mask, closed the hole at the centre of the Maelstrom. Then, the floating Netherese city of Sakkors was deliberately crashed into Ordulin by Magadon Kest in order to destroy the Maelstrom itself.[12]"

Well, I mean, that sounds pretty cool. And from another wiki:

https://the-only-one.obsidianportal.com/wikis/ordulin

"The city is laid out like a great sunburst, with a central core consisting of three great buildings and mighty roads radiating out from the core like the rays of the sun. At the center of the city are the Great Hall of the Merchant Council of Sembia (the voice of the merchant class and the nation’s true rulers), the Tower of the Guards (Raven’s headquarters), and the Guarded Gate, Sembia’s mint and chief treasury.

Population: Metropolis, 36,330 proper (mostly human)
Does not include nearby hamlet and thorp communities"

So, not as big as Waterdeep or Baldur's Gate but still plenty big to get yourself lost in a crowd. A city that hasn't been fleshed out before. A city where the God of Thieves literally sunk a floating city of evil, Shadow-infused mages.

I'd play a game there.

This is just an impulse suggestion but maybe one of the cities from the Thay region? I always found the Red Wizards kind of intriguing.

That would make for an amazing undead-centered campaign, considering that the Lord and Ruler of Thay now is a lich, and there are more undead citizens than living ones left in the country. That would be a *really* interesting game. Imagine character creation with sentient undead races.

Calimp...oh :(

Back
Top Bottom