Larian Studios - Swen In Search of Women

It might help if men stopped taking statements of truth personally and warping them. :) If our society functions in the way that women play less because, say, they have too many domestic responsibilities, it doesn't mean you should be insulted and indignant! You aren't god, right? You didn't create this world, nor you devised cultural roles for it. Just saying. And so, there's no adequate reason to hurry and shut people's mouthes up when they make statements about how the world functions.

Unless you do play games while your own girlfriend or wife cooks and watches kids, in that case I'd understand the reaction of guilt and subsequent anger and denial. Lmao! But if not, I suggest you consider reacting differently ;)

As for female friends needing to be convinced to play games, now that's one flawed assumption. Mine are all gamers since school. It's very funny how mine and my brother's taste aren't in accord, too. He plays Battlefield games that I cringe from these days (too tired of shooters) and thinks that RPGs are "too complicated" (his own words).

One interesting thought occurred to me while reading this thread. People say personal experience doesn't reflect reality. But come to think of it, if we deny personal experience without having convincing and 100% accurate data to replace it, we end up with potentially even wronger views. So if anyone wants, they can dismiss my previous paragraph and still be sure that all men play smart games and women play dumb games. But that would be dismissing evidence that challenges this view. Dismiss evidence, call it "an exception", and voila, you've "proven" whatever you wanted.

And heck knows why women don't kickstart… I don't, either! Maybe because I feel unwelcome at all gaming sites. That one jerk (not you) in this thread is the best example why. *pats herself on the back for having courage to post in this thread again* Oops, I really hope noone thinks that it's the "blame game" ;)

It takes strength to show vulnerability and it sure is nice to read about personal feelings and experiences in a posting. To see a human being shine through black words on a screen. It makes it easier to connect, a connection from heart to heart.

Humanity would benefit if people would show more of their bare inner thoughts instead
of hiding behind a cold mask of contempt or rationality in order to seem important or tough, a mask that only makes it harder to establish a link between two beating hearts.

I rarely have the courage to give people the opportunity to show a bit of the real me - not on a public forum anyway - to offer strangers my heart so to speak - darn easy to stab it with just one pointy oneliner. :)
Am I mistaken to say that you and I prefer not to arouse hostile (in)differences or easy judgements - who needs them - but to find out whether there is a common ground?

Nice to meet you, Elel.

I don't know about courage, but in terms of the effort and personal price involved - I think it takes far, far more to remain calm and rational in the face of emotional turmoil, including being hurt or perceiving insult.

One primary reason people keep blaming each other and keep seeking some kind of "retribution" for whatever perceived injustice is, precisely, because of the emotional government of the heart.

There's nothing about rationality that prevents inner thoughts from shining through.

If you seek understanding and you want cooperation, you must first have the "courage" to set aside your own emotional baggage and let the past be the past.

Remain calm and accept that your own personal situation is not the center from which everything should be balanced.

The big problem here is that people are using a bad situation with hurt feelings as the foundation of their perception for everything people say in relation to that situation.

That's unwise and counter productive.

The mind may be cold - but it's also much, much fairer than the heart. Precisely because it IS cold.

The warmth of the heart is what you should use as a motivation to stay fair - so as to give everyone a chance. To use it as a carte blanche for ignorance will only destroy that which your heart is ultimately after.

Me thinks, that the middle east will be a better and peaceful place if people can just leave their emotion and past (hurtful) experiences behind and think rationally for the future…

Emotions have their place and without them we won't be human however at some point emotion will have to make way for rational thinking.

One primary reason people keep blaming each other and keep seeking some kind of "retribution" for whatever perceived injustice is, precisely, because of the emotional government of the heart.
If you seek understanding and you want cooperation, you must first have the "courage" to set aside your own emotional baggage and let the past be the past.
Remain calm and accept that your own personal situation is not the center from which everything should be balanced.

The big problem here is that people are using a bad situation with hurt feelings as the foundation of their perception for everything people say in relation to that situation.

Well said. These ppl often dont pay much attention to the present. They can write comment under an article like "what is wrong" based on their past, but they didnt notice that part of the article already covered that topic… Because present is different. Many social or ideology "controversies" started with someone "being hurt". While in fact in some cases nobody tried to hurt them nor mention them (their social group). And they didnt try to find out.

If you are so focused on fighting past "wars", you can never win future "war".

Humanity would benefit if people would show more of their bare inner thoughts instead
of hiding behind a cold mask of contempt or rationality in order to seem important or tough, a mask that only makes it harder to establish a link between two beating hearts.

A nice thought, but how is that going to live up to reality?

Rationality strikes again.

;p

I don't know about courage, but in terms of the effort and personal price involved - I think it takes far, far more to remain calm and rational in the face of emotional turmoil, including being hurt or perceiving insult.

There's nothing about rationality that prevents inner thoughts from shining through.

The mind may be cold - but it's also much, much fairer than the heart. Precisely because it IS cold.

The warmth of the heart is what you should use as a motivation to stay fair - so as to give everyone a chance. To use it as a carte blanche for ignorance will only destroy that which your heart is ultimately after.

Ever heard of Damasio? His first book: Descartes Error?

Some short info:
"In people with normal brains, their decisions are "weighted" by emotions and this enables them to take decisions quickly according to how they feel."

And some short info elsewhere:

"emotions are not a luxury, they are essential to rational thinking and to normal social behaviour."

Your heart is part of your reason(ing), whether you like it or not. Without feelings there's no sense.
Your emotional bagage is needed to being able to differentiate between good and wrong decisions. What you felt in the past in certain situations is guiding you in the present: shame, guilt, pity, pride, joy, betrayal, etc.

You can not know anything but yourself. You're the center, you are the key. You can only relate to things, recognize things, that you have experienced yourself. A person that was born blind has a different perception of the world than someone who can see. A person that thinks XX people are worse than cockroaches, won't feel pity when he kills them. And you can only understand the why if you feel the same way.
Feeling, recognition, understanding. You have to turn inwards in order to know the (your) outer world.

One primary reason people keep blaming others is, precisely, because of the cold government of the mind: "THEY have done something to me, ergo THEY should correct it, meaning THEY should pay". And then a fight starts.

Thinking along your "government of the heart": that's not about focussing on others and on other peoples behavior but about focussing on your own feelings, I should think. Facing the inner turmoil - the only way to prevent the inner voice becoming louder and louder BTW. Seeing/admitting that you are hurt - it all comes down to pain (in case of negative feelings of course) and getting that pain acknowledged, preferably by another human being. That will silence the inner voice. And ease the pain.
So it's much more effective and honest - though a scary thing - to say: "I feel pain, can you understand that, could you help me ease the pain?" Feeling, recognition, understanding, bridges being built, peace getting a chance.

The big problem here is that others do not see that many people react hostile when they are hurt someway or another (flee or fight). Responding to that pain with non-emotional coldness, will only inflame the fire: "He is attacking me with arguments, must be telling me I am wrong, denying me… my right %#$#!"
That is unwise and counter productive.

When reaching out to pain, when acknowledging the pain, people will calm down. You don't even have to UNDERSTAND their pain. And instead of being caught in a fight people might even end up doing what you want them to do, so there could be mutual benefits.

O I agree, in terms of the effort and personal price involved, it (emotional turmoil) takes far, far more to remain calm and rational. Worst of all are those calm and rational people who never seem to crack, who try their utmost, right until the vulcano explodes, and then you get all sorts of shit in your face: all is broken, damage beyond repair. Frankly speaking I'm suspecting those people are acting this calm and rational way merely out of fear to loose all self-control when they loosen up a bit.

Ignoring your heart will only destroy that which your heart is ultimately after.
When feeling unfairly treated it can reach out, when being unfair it can be reached - as long as a robotic, inhumane mind is not first in command. When opened up it can lift solitude. Who wants to be alone and in the cold?
And thinking about Damasio: who wants to loose their reason?

Last edited:
Me thinks, that the middle east will be a better and peaceful place if people can just leave their emotion and past (hurtful) experiences behind and think rationally for the future…

Emotions have their place and without them we won't be human however at some point emotion will have to make way for rational thinking.
Me thinks, rationality = telling others what to do?

Research showed that when lacking the necessary knowledge of all details people tend to simplify the situation, thus making room for easy judgement.
When their own lives are concerned, they are all to well familiar with all the details and complexities making it often hard or even impossible to find an easy solution.

Sounds like a guy who can't separate concepts for the purposes of communication.

Your heart is part of your reason(ing), whether you like it or not. Without feelings there's no sense.
Your emotional bagage is needed to being able to differentiate between good and wrong decisions. What you felt in the past in certain situations is guiding you in the present: shame, guilt, pity, pride, joy, betrayal, etc.

I don't think I've said we have no emotions, so that's your first misconception. I specifically said you should be using your heart as the motivation for your words and actions.

But the heart will betray you, if you rely on it for fairness. Why do you think those who love the most are those who lash out the most?

Have you ever broken up with a loved one? The challenge of being kind and fair in that situation is almost insurmountable.

That's why you should not let your heart rule your mind. Your mind needs to rule if you want to be fair.

If you don't want to be fair, that's another matter - of course.

You can not know anything but yourself. You're the center, you are the key. You can only relate to things, recognize things, that you have experienced yourself. A person that was born blind has a different perception of the world than someone who can see. A person that thinks XX people are worse than cockroaches, won't feel pity when he kills them. And you can only understand the why if you feel the same way.
Feeling, recognition, understanding. You have to turn inwards in order to know the (your) outer world.

I don't know about you, but I don't live inside my own body. I have senses, including sight, sound and smell. I learn things based on experience - and that includes things about the outside world. External stimuli, if you will.

Again, you fail to separate concepts. I'm not saying we should abandon emotion - I'm not saying we should be cold and without empathy.

I'm saying it takes much more to not rely entirely on emotions and to use them as underpining for what you consider cold and rational decision making.

I don't think a thought is cold at all, because - as you say - emotions are part of thinking. They just shouldn't rule.

One primary reason people keep blaming others is, precisely, because of the cold government of the mind: "THEY have done something to me, ergo THEY should correct it, meaning THEY should pay". And then a fight starts.

I can't agree at all. They do this because they're hurt and they can't let go of the feeling. They refuse to think clearly - and they're being irrational. They're letting their minds be ruled by the power of the heart - and that's what I'm talking about as the easy and most destructive path.

Thinking along your "government of the heart": that's not about focussing on others and on other peoples behavior but about focussing on your own feelings, I should think. Facing the inner turmoil - the only way to prevent the inner voice becoming louder and louder BTW. Seeing/admitting that you are hurt - it all comes down to pain (in case of negative feelings of course) and getting that pain acknowledged, preferably by another human being. That will silence the inner voice. And ease the pain.

No, I don't agree. Focusing on your own pain and having it be eased is not hard. It's natural, yes, and it's the easiest choice.

Focusing on the pain of others - and the bigger picture - in the face of your own pain, that's the hard part. That's what takes real strength, and what so many fail to do.

That also includes not saying what people want to hear - or trying not to hurt them. Because that's not necessarily the best way to heal - and it's not necessarily the way to help the most.

So it's much more effective and honest - though a scary thing - to say: "I feel pain, can you understand that, could you help me ease the pain?" Feeling, recognition, understanding, bridges being built, peace getting a chance.

I've never found that so hard, but then again - I'm not full of shame or guilt. I've been raised by loving parents who knew that shame and guilt are wasteful emotions.

So, if I'm in pain - I find it easy to acknowledge and I have no problem sharing it when I need help. But I don't focus on it - and I don't let my pain be the pain of others unless it becomes unbearable.

But I do agree that if you really are in pain so much of the time, you'd do well to understand why - and share it.

In that case, though, I recommend not giving out advice on how to approach life - as it would seem your own way needs work and you've yet to really deal with it.

I'm not saying that's you, it's just that you keep orbiting this idea of being in pain - and that's not what I consider a healthy place to be, emotionally and mentally. You're not, by chance, Aubrielle?

The big problem here is that others do not see that many people react hostile when they are hurt someway or another (flee or fight). Responding to that pain with non-emotional coldness, will only inflame the fire: "He is attacking me with arguments, must be telling me I am wrong, denying me… my right %#$#!"
That is unwise and counter productive.

You must be confused. Because at first you claim that emotions are part of rational thinking - and yet you continue to claim that anything rational is non-emotional and cold.

That seems a profound conflict, don't you?

In any case, being hurt is not something to fear. It's part of life and it's part of learning. What you should fear is living a life based on avoiding pain - because that's a stagnant life and one where people are unable to show you the truth, as you don't want to hear it.

When reaching out to pain, when acknowledging the pain, people will calm down. You don't even have to UNDERSTAND their pain. And instead of being caught in a fight people might even end up doing what you want them to do, so there could be mutual benefits.

Acknowledging the pain does nothing by itself. You have to deal with the core of it, and that - in itself - is painful. The way out of it is the mind, not the heart.

O I agree, in terms of the effort and personal price involved, it (emotional turmoil) takes far, far more to remain calm and rational. Worst of all are those calm and rational people who never seem to crack, who try their utmost, right until the vulcano explodes, and then you get all sorts of shit in your face: all is broken, damage beyond repair. Frankly speaking I'm suspecting those people are acting this calm and rational way merely out of fear to loose all self-control when they loosen up a bit.

I don't think anyone can ever claim not to have cracked. But I still don't think that's an argument against remaining calm. If you're promoting that emotions should always rule as some kind of superior position, then I don't think you know what human beings are like without control. It's not a pretty sight.

Everyone has control and everyone tries to remain calm in a variety of situations - even those who're in constant pain and turmoil.

The point is that if you want to be fair and you want to help people the most, you must remain calm and you must remain rational. That's not the same as having no emotions and being cold. Why would people ever crack if that was the case?

When feeling unfairly treated it can reach out, when being unfair it can be reached - as long as a robotic, inhumane mind is not first in command. When opened up it can lift solitude. Who wants to be alone and in the cold?
And thinking about Damasio: who wants to loose their reason?

I don't know anyone who's robotic or inhumane. I know a few people who seem that way, on the outside, but I also know they're not really like that.

What I'm talking about is to remain calm and rational, and to let go of your own pain as the center of the universe.

To me, there's nothing robotic about that. But it can be a struggle and it can be hard.

Certainly much harder than to lash out and indulge in immediate emotional responses.

I see little in your arguments that makes sense, frankly.

In any case, we're clearly speaking from two very different positions in life - and I don't think we're going to get far going in circles about it.

Certainly, I feel like I'm already repeating myself.

So, I'll agree to disagree. Thank you for the exchange :)

And heck knows why women don't kickstart… I don't, either! Maybe because I feel unwelcome at all gaming sites. That one jerk (not you) in this thread is the best example why. *pats herself on the back for having courage to post in this thread again* Oops, I really hope noone thinks that it's the "blame game" ;)

Its called being part of the status quo. It's people that push past those troubles that becomes the great men and women of our society. As for kickstarter, you dont need to pay those big amounts, just pay enough to get the games. I pay for the 4 pack for 90 bucks and give the other 3 to my friends to play with me. The 4 games is cheaper than buying on steam on release.

Sounds like […] the exchange :)
Sure, and the sun orbits earth and our planet is as flat as a pancake. You're free to support that too.

Only a damaged brain is seperating mind from body, which results in irrational, illogical behavior. In normal healhy individuals the two are always intertwined. The thing you perceive as "the mind" and "being rational" consists largely of emotions from past and present. Without them anyone, including you, would label that person as a psychiatric patient because of his undecisiveness or reckless behavior.

I am sorry, I don't feel like commenting on other things you said in posting #91, I seem to have difficulty finding the motivation because frankly speaking I think you're boring. To me your views are humdrum, far from refreshing, faulty and outdated. It's as simple as that. Nothing more, nothing less. I surely don't mean to upset you, and luckily you won't take it personally either; you seem to adore being cool and in control, fine if detachment's what you want, but I know it's the lack of personality and humanness, that puts me off.

So I'm accepting the fact that I failed to explain most (if not all) of the points I made, missing the needed enthusiasm to write I won't change the tune to see whether a different one will stick (blaming the other and telling them to read it again or simply repeating yourself are not the brightest things to do).

And no, I am not Aubrielle. Never met her/him. But if people start thinking of Aubrielle when talking to me I presume it could be an exciting person. That's not me being haughty, I just happen to like my (happy) self. The more like me, the merrier. :)

Its called being part of the status quo. It's people that push past those troubles that becomes the great men and women of our society. As for kickstarter, you dont need to pay those big amounts, just pay enough to get the games. I pay for the 4 pack for 90 bucks and give the other 3 to my friends to play with me. The 4 games is cheaper than buying on steam on release.
I don't do KSs either. I'll buy the product when it's finished.

Me thinks, rationality = telling others what to do?

Research showed that when lacking the necessary knowledge of all details people tend to simplify the situation, thus making room for easy judgement.
When their own lives are concerned, they are all to well familiar with all the details and complexities making it often hard or even impossible to find an easy solution.

Its precisely the emotional attachment to the perceived "details and complexities" that make an easy solution unreachable for the person.

Its exactly why people pay billions worldwide for a therapist to tell them exactly what they already know... There is nothing groundbreaking in therapy. Its mostly someone explaining why emotions are preventing the person from moving forward.

Sure, and the sun orbits earth and our planet is as flat as a pancake. You're free to support that too.

Only a damaged brain is seperating mind from body, which results in irrational, illogical behavior. In normal healhy individuals the two are always intertwined. The thing you perceive as "the mind" and "being rational" consists largely of emotions from past and present. Without them anyone, including you, would label that person as a psychiatric patient because of his undecisiveness or reckless behavior.

I am sorry, I don't feel like commenting on other things you said in posting #91, I seem to have difficulty finding the motivation because frankly speaking I think you're boring. To me your views are humdrum, far from refreshing, faulty and outdated. It's as simple as that. Nothing more, nothing less. I surely don't mean to upset you, and luckily you won't take it personally either; you seem to adore being cool and in control, fine if detachment's what you want, but I know it's the lack of personality and humanness, that puts me off.

So I'm accepting the fact that I failed to explain most (if not all) of the points I made, missing the needed enthusiasm to write I won't change the tune to see whether a different one will stick (blaming the other and telling them to read it again or simply repeating yourself are not the brightest things to do).

And no, I am not Aubrielle. Never met her/him. But if people start thinking of Aubrielle when talking to me I presume it could be an exciting person. That's not me being haughty, I just happen to like my (happy) self. The more like me, the merrier. :)

So, in place of supporting your "daring and innovative" claims - you try the visionary approach of cute insults along with the entirely novel I'm-too-superior-to-be-convincing attitude.

I get it, you're really a genius and your vocabulary should suffice when you have no argument available from your otherwise amazing arsenal of logic. Making "this is how it is" statements without the whys and hows is just how you roll.

That's pretty impressive, not to mention entirely convincing ;)

Not all bad, though, as you've made it clear that engaging in rational exchange with archaic peasants like myself is too much for you to deal with - and that might save me a lot of time and effort in the future.

Have fun being so ahead of your time!

Oh, and just a tip - don't start out saying you're usually too afraid to put yourself out there for people to hurt and then almost immediately claim to be super happy about yourself. That's not really how being genuinely happy about oneself works.

I don't do KSs either. I'll buy the product when it's finished.

There has been many studies done over the last 50 years on why men have a greater appetite for risk. One research group used our company as a project in 2000 to determine if men vs women invested/traded differently. As a whole the answer was yes. Didn't make one group better or worse than the other. The process was different.

So,. … happy about oneself works.
O gosh, it's alive, it's alive! Haha.

Could not control yourself any longer, ey? And shit hits the fan. Out of control means definitely out of control.

Okay, thanks for the entertainment. Do go on, keep following this track, and I might be triggered to dispute your PoVs again. This is not boring. :)

There has been many studies done over the last 50 years on why men have a greater appetite for risk. One research group used our company as a project in 2000 to determine if men vs women invested/traded differently. As a whole the answer was yes. Didn't make one group better or worse than the other. The process was different.
Interesting. I agree with your conclusion btw.

Its precisely the emotional attachment to the perceived "details and complexities" that make an easy solution unreachable for the person.

Its exactly why people pay billions worldwide for a therapist to tell them exactly what they already know… There is nothing groundbreaking in therapy. Its mostly someone explaining why emotions are preventing the person from moving forward.

Kind of. Therapy is more than telling people what they already know. The key thing is that a person might well have some intellectual insight into their problems, but they are too entrenched in an emotional and psychological pattern to dig themselves out by choosing to. The point of psychological therapy is just like psysiotherapy - just knowing what's wrong doesn't fix it, but a consistent, planned, monitored process can improve it.

The other point is that there are things like personality disorders, which sort of straddle the line between psychlogical and psychiatric problems. These people do not function emotionally in the way most people do, and they rarely live happy lives without treatment.

Back
Top Bottom