The Totally NEW Team Corwin Thread

Helmets have been a bit buggy since they added goggles to the list of things you can have shown. Check your inventory screen, and on the paperdoll thing, make sure there's a helmet showing on the head, and not nothing or goggles.

Post U11, you couldn't see the helmet unless you had /showhelmet on set pre-U11.

Cloaks have been non-viewable, though it's possible that those are on the way. A lot more work though, with animations, otherwise they'd look like crap.

Ice critters tend to be vulnerable to fire. So are (some) trolls and (some) undead. You should have an Ember weapon, though TBH it doesn't matter at this level. It could be to-hit issues, as they IIRC have a bit higher AC than most critters at this stage.

As a Cleric, try using Divine Favor to boost your to-hit. Later, Divine Power will help as well. Finally, don't get DA until you are confident you can handle it. Eventually things will reset back to their original locations, but that can take awhile if at all depending on the dungeon, and the dragon room you are stuck in for a brief while, and then get a group of enemies charging you from the exit; having a horde after you won't help matters.

There are very few class-restricted items. The main ones you'll see are weapon modules, usable only by Iron Defenders, and Rune Arms, usable only by level 2+ Artificers. I think there's a sorc/bard/wiz item out of a raid, and maybe a paladin item, but I'm not entirely certain.

Race or alignment restricted items can be used even without the race/alignment, PROVIDED you have the UMD.

You can use any weapon or armor (except rune arms), but if you don't have the proficiency in them, you'll get a penalty. Clerics have only simple weapon proficiency, so they can't use things like a Greataxe or Longsword without burning a feat. Using a weapon you are not proficient with costs you a -4 penalty to-hit.

but if you don't have the proficiency in them, you'll get a penalty.

I already figured it out. Plus, you can get a penalty (or something like that) if you use shields (especiall bigger shields) without having the bility to do so.

I'm thankful these things are relatively clear when I look at the item descriptions.

And yes, I don't exactly kno how it translates, but I guess that they are indeed "ember" weapons.

And another yes : Some enemies jut walk away from where they came if I'm fast enough. Some get an odd white symbol shining on top of their heads and then they disdappear as well. Don't know what it means.

I guess I should look at my handbook again. ;)

I'm still a bit puzzled why I just couldn't hit the Ice Spiders yesterday. The character just didn't target them. And this didn't attack them.
Next time I'll try it again with hitting the "U" key.

Apart from that, exploring the island is huge fun for me as an explorer ... ;)

The huge white symbol means they have ran too far from their spawn points, and will stop chasing you and return there, healed to full.

Try hitting the 'g' key, and make sure your auto-targeting is enabled. I think it's 'g' for default. With it enabled, you shouldn't have to hard-target them with tab. Disabled, you have to hit tab to target I think. Granted, I rarely run with it off, only in a few particular quests.

There are a lot of really nice explorer areas in game. Korthos has nothing on the Vale of Twilight or Gianthold, or Three Barrel Cove. About the only one I don't like is the Restless Isles.

EDIT - Tomes are 20% off, if you desire more POWAH!

Last edited:
Ah, thanks ! :)

Tonight I don't want to play, because I've got things to do tomorrow, and don't want to be too tired.

Have fun everyone meanwhile ! :)

For those who are wondering, the elemental energy of a Shroud sp item doubles for a Sorc/FvS just as regular sp items do. And Be sure to carry plenty of +8 weapons in before raiding, otherwise, you end up 4 charged energy cells short of a tier 3 greensteel item, and 200 more sp, +3 more UMD, and Greater Disruption Guard.

And if you talk to the right people in the market, you get a ship invite, and get to craft even off timer. Aerii is the guild's first character to have a tier 3 Greensteel item.

Wizardry VI (150sp, doubled for Sorc/FvS)
Exc. CHA Skills +1
Exc. SP +50 (also doubled)
Exc. CHA Skills +2
Exc. SP +100 (also doubled)
Exc. CHA Skills +3
Raise Dead 1/day
Greater Disruption Guard

The end result is 36UMD, and an extra 400sp over before. I'm going to purchase some Mass Cure Moderate scrolls now that they'll be usable. I don't expect to heal raids with them, but with some healing amp and wand and scroll mastery, they should allow me to help supplement Bot and Sherrille some, and the heal scrolls will let me operate more self-sufficiently away from either of them.

Last edited:
What does the abbreviation "UMD" mean ?

Which is one of the most useful skills in the game. Being able to use race-restricted items, which have a minimum level 2 levels lower than normal, as well as alignment restricted weapons like Pure Good, opens up some possibilities.

Getting it high enough for reliable scroll use means that you can use nice things like Teleport Scrolls, Heal Scrolls, and so forth. I keep the guild scroll vendor busy just in raise dead scrolls for Peter.

I'll have two more UMD once I hit 20; 1 more from CHA and 1 more full point. After that, I'm not sure what I'll have to find to get it higher; the only thing I can think of is some gloves out of the Titan raid, and none of use can stand Restless Isles long enough to find the flagging quests, much less flag.

*edit*

For any lowbie archers in the guild, I just grabbed a Silver Longbow out of a broker. This is one of the better bows in game, with only Greensteel, Bow of sinew, and Epic Thornlord being better. It'll sit in the guild chest.

Last edited:
Okay, I already planned to give "use magical things" a go anyway. I just didn't know this abbreviation.

Perhaps tonight I'll try to get through this "Misery Peak" quest (fingers crossed !) and I think hen there is only one more quest left (at least I do really hope so). Which means that I could be going to Stormreach within this weekend or at the beginning of the upcoming week.

I have already several scrolls nd other items in my inventory; I have no use for them, but thought that someone else could be using them ...

What about gems ? Are they needed for something ? Or can I sell them ? I found a screen where some things could be crafted ? embellished ? or whatever. I haven't found any use for it either yet.

Misery Peak is usually the last quest you do on Korthos Island and is the hardest. You don't need gems and should just click the sell gems button at a merchant.

Alrik, if you get TOTALLY stuck with Misery (or any quest), give us a holler here and one of us will guide you through. You likely wouldn't get much if any XP, unless you get lucky and find one of us with a really low level toon, but at least you'd get a completion and know what to do if you wanted to try it again later.

I can probably do it if he needs help and since I'm level 4 he probably won't lose too much xp and I can easily get through on any difficulty very easily.

OKay, thanks, but I think I'll manage it, I assum. I did all the other quests without any help so far - although sometimes only at second or third try. ;)

I'll ask for help if I need it, thank you for your offer ! :)

I didn't play through it last night, because I just didn't want to (did some work over the day and just wanted to get some rest).

I'm in the midst of level 2, by the way. ;)
And the bow is still my primary weapon - although I'm often using 2 weapons in close combat. ;)

Is there anyway to quickly change weapon sets ? In the midst of combat ? Is there a hotkey ?

Since you are using two weapon fighting even if you have the feat you have a negative to-hit which can cause problems if you don't have anything that adds attack. You would need improved two weapon fighting to mostly eliminate the negatives.

Actually, Two Weapon fighting doesn't quite work like that.

Without any feats, you face a -8/-6 penalty to-hit, and have a 20% chance of an offhand attack.

With only Two Weapon Fighting, the penalty is reduced to -2/-2 with a light weapon in the offhand, or -4/-4 with a medium weapon. You have a 40% chance of an offhand attack.

Improved and Greater Two Weapon Fighting feats add 20% each to your offhand attack chance, increasing it to 60% and 80% respectively. The penalty to-hit remains at -2/-2 or -4/-4 depending on gear.

The Oversized Two Weapon Fighting feat reduces the to-hit penalty when using a medium off-hand weapon to -2/-2, like you were using a light weapon.

Ranger Tempest PrE adds 10% offhand chance on the first and second tiers of the PrE, and +1 to-hit when using two weapons.

As a Ranger, you have the main TWF feats for free; unlike in PnP you do not have to choose between ranged and melee, you get all the feats regardless.

I would equip a light weapon in the offhand slot for now, as you being an archer build likely pumped DEX over STR. So your to-hit is suffering compared to a STR-based melee build.

In your inventory, there are a number of green boxes on the bottom of that window; drag and drop weapons in those slots to create weapon sets, which can be then drug to a hotbar. You really only need sets for the dual weapons, single weapons like bows or Two Handed weapons can be set on a hotbar by themselves.

As for hotbars, I have 5 set up right now for easy access. The #1 bar uses just the number keys, and my most used things are set 1-7. #2 is shift+#, #3 bar is CTRL+#, #4 is ALT+#, and #5 bar is ALT+Shift+#. I also shifted my movement keys to E,S,D,F, use to R, block to Caps Lock, and Rune Arm charge to T.

On my Ranger, the Shift bar (#2) is for weapon sets, ALT (#4) is for specials like Manyshot and less-used situational weapon sets, CTRL (#3) is the horde of potions I carry, The (#1) bar is trip, healing pots and spell, buff potions, and so forth, and the last bar is just swap items. Aerii the Sorcerer has all of those filled with spells, and so on for different characters. They all use the same general setup.

UO0012.jpg

This gives you an idea of what I use; all my characters look similar, though my Sorcerer and Favored Soul both have more hotbars to deal with. Fireflash will have more soon enough too, as her UMD gets to a point of carrying heal and restoration and teleport and so on scrolls everywhere like Mirys and Aerii do.

So far, two-handed fighting has *one* very definitive positive point for me : It is just faster. Much faster. With the bow, I can do more damage, but has a slower attacking rate right now.

I'm planning to do a "hot bar" for all of the special "abilities" some of my clothes have.

What I need right now is quickly switching beween bow and close combat things.

I'll try hat, dragging the "weapon sets" into my bar(s).

Sorry about the misinformation; I have played much more AD&D then 3.5.

Alrik: Don't get them confused; Two-Handed Fighting is with one single Two-Handed Weapon and it is Two Weapon Fighting that uses two weapons.

PS. The Two-Handed Weapons are Great Axes, Great Swords, Great Clubs, Falchions, Mauls, and Quarterstaffs.

Back
Top Bottom