What 4x should I play?

CK2 is utterly broken for the majority of people after about the 200-300 year mark due to how the game slows down. If you are one of the lucky ones then great, otherwise you can still enjoy the first 150 years or so ;)

edit: Unless this has been fixed in the last 12 month? It was an issue since the RoI expansion back in 2015 and I haven't played since then.

Stellaris and Hearts of Iron 4.
I also played those 2 in release day, and found them totally enjoyable, played them for hundreds of hours before I bought any DLC (actually, I haven't bought any DLCs for those 2 games) .

CK2 is utterly broken for the majority of people after about the 200-300 year mark due to how the game slows down. If you are one of the lucky ones then great, otherwise you can still enjoy the first 150 years or so ;)

edit: Unless this has been fixed in the last 12 month? It was an issue since the RoI expansion back in 2015 and I haven't played since then.

My computer is now 6 years old, I can still play CK2 fine forever and ever. The RoI issue was fixed a long time ago, I think they had a patch where they changed a lot of calculations from daily to monthly or something, I don't know the details (I just know it works).

I also played those 2 in release day, and found them totally enjoyable, played them for hundreds of hours before I bought any DLC (actually, I haven't bought any DLCs for those 2 games) .

I didn't say they couldn't be enjoyable. Heck I absolutely loved Gothic 3 for around 50 hours before I realised it was utterly broken.

Stellaris also had a TON of issues, particular in terms of the "automated" governing of systems - and the terribly stale gameplay after the initial stages.

Hearts of Iron 4 has the same usual broken AI all the HoI games have - and it's still a bad joke.

I almost forgot all about Alpha Centauri. I really, really have to get cracking on a Let's Play of that sometime.

Also, Victoria II is great. I enjoyed that one a lot. Just make sure you get the 2 main expansion/DLCs, as one of them re-balances the game a bit.

I've played Alpha Centauri. Loved it, except a bizarre crash bug that crashed my game every few turns.

I found Alpha Centauri in No Man's Sky. I got out of there before the fungus started trying to communicate with me. ;)

I like Civ 6 better than 4 and 5 - but I've only played it through once. The last Civ game that could hold my attention for longer than that was Civ 2.

Back
Top Bottom