Call of Cthulhu - Steam Page Up

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The Steam page has appeared for Call of Cthulhu, which lists a fall release date.

About This Game

Call of Cthulhu, the official videogame inspired by Chaosium's classic pen and paper RPG, brings you deep into a world of creeping madness and shrouded Old Gods within Lovecraft's iconic universe.

1924. Private Investigator Pierce is sent to look into the tragic death of the Hawkins family on the isolated Darkwater Island. Soon enough, Pierce is pulled into a terrifying world of conspiracies, cultists, and cosmic horrors.

Nothing is as it seems. Sanity is an irregular bedfellow, all too often replaced by whisperings in the dark. Strange creatures, weird science, and sinister cults dominate the Cthulhu Mythos, intent on realizing their mad schemes to bring about the end of everything.

Your mind will suffer - between sanity and psychosis, your senses will be disrupted until you question the reality of everything around you. Trust no one. Slinking shadows hide lurking figures... and all the while, the Great Dreamer prepares for his awakening.
More information.

Not sold on this yet, but it certainly looks good.

I'm a sucker for Lovecraft, though, so I'll probably get it regardless.

It's an RPG without combat and faithful to the P&P game. Instant purchase.

I'm always interested in non-combat gameplay when it comes to RPGs - but it needs to be compelling and fun.

For instance, I found Alien Isolation to be dreadfully boring - in gameplay terms - even if it was downright terrifying. Not an RPG, I know - but I would actually have preferred more combat in that game, or at least something more fun than constantly running away or hiding.

I find that most developers have trouble when it comes to creating interesting ways to solve problems that aren't combat related, somehow.

But I'll definitely check this out.

I find that most developers have trouble when it comes to creating interesting ways to solve problems that aren't combat related, somehow.

The skills and mechanics are directly from the CoC tabletop game

I haven't played it - and there's a little bit of difference between what a game master can do in a PnP game, and how developers might choose to implement rules.

For instance, if the rules themselves guarenteed a fun time - does that mean that no game master in the history of CoC campaigns ever bored his or her players?

Is this another case where you know - for a fact - how a game will play before it's released based on interviews and PR material?

All I'm saying is that lacking interesting ways to solve problems without combat isn't going to be an issue in a CoC videogame. That's the entire focus of the system.

I know you're saying that. I was just checking if there was a reason to invest in what you're saying.

That's the entire focus of the rule system.

Yes, and the whole focus of the Trump campaign was to make America great again :)

That is debatable. Tabletop CoC has more complex system with attributes + skills. This game uses simplyfied system with only several skills. But its not set in stone yet.
Anyway it seems its basically Amnesia + CoC and that is not bad for me.

If they can capture the atmosphere of CoC: DCotE then I'd be very happy...I have also played quite a lot of the PnP CoC game, but I don't know how much of those rules will actually reflect in the game. I'm also keeping an eye on the other Cthulhu game...erm...what's it called?...Sunken city?

Psychoanalysis, forensic medicine, investigation, occultism, eavesdropping, fast talk, intimidation, lockpicking, athleticism, and spot hidden have already been confirmed.

If they can capture the atmosphere of CoC: DCotE then I'd be very happy…I have also played quite a lot of the PnP CoC game, but I don't know how much of those rules will actually reflect in the game. I'm also keeping an eye on the other Cthulhu game…erm…what's it called?…Sunken city?

Just please don't have that awful action sequence :)

Psychoanalysis, forensic medicine, investigation, occultism, eavesdropping, fast talk, intimidation, lockpicking, athleticism, and spot hidden have already been confirmed.

Source?

Afaik there has been few changes in game system. And some preview suggested that some of these skills are not in the game anymore. But who knows for sure?

Having all skills in the game doesn't automatically translate to them all doing interesting things.

It doesn't matter if there's one skill or a hundred skills.

What matters is if the developers give the player interesting choices with weight and consequence.

How many D&D games have we seen with all the skills and attributes in there - by name?

Do they all use them equally - with an equal amount of fun as the result?

I don't think I need to answer that.

They've all been confirmed through gameplay videos, talks with the developers, and media previews. There's not a single source, but they've all been confirmed at some point.

Of course it's not going to fully match the complexity of the P&P game, but the developers say they want to replicate it as closely as possible. Good enough for me.

Darth Tagan said:
What matters is if the developers give the player interesting choices with weight and consequence.

They've said there will be branching paths each chapter depending on the results of your investigation. You can also recruit different playable NPCs with their own character sheets and missions that will influence the story. It all sounds very promising.

They've said there will be branching paths each chapter depending on the results of your investigation. You can also recruit different playable NPCs with their own character sheets and missions that will influence the story. It all sounds very promising.

Sounds cool :)

Yes, I agree it's a very promising game.

One can never have enough Lovecraft games.

They've all been confirmed through gameplay videos, talks with the developers, and media previews.

A lot things change in game development. Many previews are too old now. Its better to look on gameplay videos from devs where you can see almost all skills - like this one here: (VO is in english)

Around 2:40 you can see most of the skills. It seems that eavesdropping is not there for example.

BUT - they could change it meantime and cut some of them. Or rather condense 2 original skills into 1 (so they didnt cut anything).

Of course it's not going to fully match the complexity of the P&P game, but the developers say they want to replicate it as closely as possible.

Yes, I dont criticise their decisions. As I said, for me it seems like Amnesie + CoC.

Darth Tagnan said:
It doesn't matter if there's one skill or a hundred skills.

Of course. IF they condensed some skills I assume they did it for this reason.

Does this include locking the doors, boarding up the windows, never answering the telephone, and hording tons of dynamite in case anyone comes around?

So it looks like an evolution of the adventure game. If it is well written it might be good as it would have a bit more 'complexity' than a click and point adventure - though i might miss the combat aspect of rpgs.

Back
Top Bottom