Skyrim Skyrim is perfect??

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
I can deal with the flaws. The two biggest ones right now is the crashing. I've done all of the suggestions and it still crashes. Every time you see me pop in here to post something it's because I've crashed and thought I might as well see what was going on here.

The second and more annoying than the crashing is every now and then the run button gets screwed up. I hold it down and I'll run for a second then stop. I release and push it down again and the same thing happens, run for a second, stop.

It first started happening when I was exploring the northern part of the map. I kept hitting the edge where it said you couldn't go any farther. Then soon after the run bug started happening, but I just had it happen again and wasn't anywhere near the borders. I had just recently been swimming so I think it might have something to do with swimming.

It doesn't happen that often, but there is no way to fix it (as far as I know) other than loading a save game before it started happening.

Oh well, it's a minor inconvenience and would rather take every single bug in this game vs a polished turd like Gothic 4.

In my experience great RPGs are always buggy when first released. Back in the olden times when RPGs weren't that complicated....or rather weren't as complicated as they are now, then they weren't that bad. Like the early Ultimas weren't that bad, but now there is so much going on behind the scenes that it's bound to have a fair share of bugs. Actually it better have bugs or it isn't that good :p

games aren't coming out like that because it's not what the majority of people want. That's your idea of a great game. if 100 people were asked to start this thread you'd get 100 different combinations of what would make skyrim great. Like me i'd want it to be based on d&d, be party based and pausable or turn based. So at least your idea's are much closer to being reality than mine ever would be.

I agree combat needs to be better, leveling slower and uber items much less available.

I've played games that require you to eat. realistic, yes. Fun, no. it starts out fun then a while in I think i don't want to eat I'd rather finish this quest. i've read that 3 min=1 hour in skyrim. So you'd have to stop, make a meal and eat every 18 mi. (to eat every 6 hours as you said)Then if your human you'd also have to find a place to sleep roughly every hour. Now if you get rid of all the food and you have to hunt or buy your food then you'll have to spend a good chunk of your 18 min. getting food. that doesn't sound like something I want to do in a game that could last 2-300 hours. I guess you could adjust how gametime work to make it less of a hassle but It still doesn't sound fun.

as far as totally dark dungeons, how would that work. If you don't use magic then you have to carry a torch. That means no bow's, shields, 2 handed weapons or dual wielding in dungeons and there goes stealth. If your a mage then you have to always keep switching to the light spell as it will expire. In my time in skrim i'd say half has been under ground. I don't want those kind of restrictions for half my gameplay. I suppose you could make light spells last longer or have long lasting night vision potions, but at that point why have totally dark dungeons. It's just one more level of tedium and dev's know that.

I can understand wanting games to be more complex and would agree with you on that. But while realism sounds great in theory it doesn't always translate to fun. At least not for me.

I should of worded better my every 6 hours.What I mean is a reasonable amount of real time where you must eat again.Say after a dungeon is completed you sit down and cook up a meal and eat and they could also make it so that regen slows over this time period,meaning its as fast as it is now only right after eating.I mean the game does feel like a "hiking simulator" as someone said on another forum and its not all one quest after another will lull times spaced in between.So catching/gathering/cooking and eating seems to add to immersion for me.

Totally dark dungeons,when will it happen??First I have always felt D&D 3rd edition with all its unbalances was what made it shine.You wanna play an Elf and "feel" that your character is special by the world slowly lighting up when you enter dark areas and in same way you want to feel the hassle of not being an Elf.I mean why even have these traits in the stats if you are too scared to use them out of fear.And your right that they could have longer light spells then some sort of game mechanic can come into play that makes it harsh to use,like a temporary reduction of available magicka.It will add twist to gameplay also like no sneaking for human fighters that must use a torch or thieves that are a race that has infravision having advantage etc.And that is why I do not like these every race or class system can be just as good as other race classetc games.Why even have differences other than visual.

And just the fact that there will not be candles lit everywhere imo looks better than when they are and Stalker games were ruined for me with the campfires everywhere and the electricity still running.But alas you are right and its all down to personal opinion.

Last edited:
Um, I told Lydia to go stand in a corner in my house, and that's where she'll remain for the rest of the game. I want to play alone ^^. Now I'm looking for a decent guy to marry … or not so decent.

I have the strategy guide and mainly wanted it for maps, ingredients and such. There is a housecarl at Marthkart (sp) that looks pretty hot. I`m hoping to get him and drag him around with me....make him hold my purse :D

You can also marry beggars which I thought was interesting hehe.

I'm playing an Argonian for the hithskin power (a once a day super fast health reg). He's damn ugly, but makes a good sneaky type. :)

BTW, I am not using Lydia since I got the Archer from Riverwood as a companion. I wanted another sneaky type to complement my thief's sneaky approach.

Needless to say, we don't do very well against giants. But we can sneak in and steal their treasure. :p

I'd say Skyrim is perfect. Some of the best 40 hours I've ever spent with a video game so far, that's for sure. Are there bugs? Yes, though I personally haven't seen anything too bad except a floating mammoth here and there. Are there certain little things I would change? Sure, but Skyrim is a big picture game. The big picture of the game is perfection to me. As a hardcore RPG fan it meets all my demanding criteria with flying colors. It's really one of the best games I've ever had the joy of playing.

Fluent,I agree in many ways it really is up there with my best gaming experience.Just now I was wandering near Falkreath and ran into this punk Orc who starts bad mouthing me.Well we went at it and in 3rd person combat it was a superb fight.I know its a silly example but it got the emotions running.Another example is I am running near Whiterun and this earthquake hits with this weird sounding chant and then its gone.It got my nerd D&D mind giggling with delight!

It can be made better though and I hope people mod it to its full potential and we all know they will.IMO again it needs a distinction between the races to really set off the gameplay.I wanna play an Argonian and feel a difference compared to say a Nord.Playing with the speed multiplier my burly Nord feels right at 75 while at default 100 he feels too fast for a big hulking man.I upped my wood elf to 105 and he felt different.Its a subtle difference in feel where my Nord is slow moving yet powerful and feels it with the slow swings of the warhammer while the wood elf at 105 feels light and small and I was running around map with a little bit of advantage to use my bow from distance.Jump could get a difference also so that the Nord jumps less than default while the elf jumps higher,just slightly though as to keep the game playable for the Nord.Then a big difference in fall damage would add kool gameplay elements.When I jump off a high cliff with my elf character I feel that he should land lightly but my mind says that the Nord should get hurt from same distance.

Then the whole world needs to be changed where say elves are fastest and nords are slow and other races like Imperials are in between.Stuff like wolves being slightly faster than elves and horses being fastest is another immersion factor.Don't know if thats possible.And I would love to make the wood elf able to command a few wild animals for as long as he wants. :biggrin:

Oh well back to Skyrim. ;)

The only thing i really hate in this game is the enemy levelling when you level. I dont appreciate getting weaker when i level.

I like so far the leveling though and agree with Bethesda.I feel its very well done.

If anyone wants and likes to play in 3rd person,there is a 3rd person mod out there that I took and tweaked to my liking.The mod had lowered the view and so arrows were not hitting were they should be etc.Just add this to the bottom of your Skyrim.ini and if you do not like erase the part you added and save again.

[Camera]
fOverShoulderCombatAddY=0.0000
fOverShoulderCombatPosZ=20.0000
fOverShoulderCombatPosX=0.0000
fOverShoulderPosZ=25.0000
fOverShoulderPosX=0.0000
fOverShoulderHorseAddY=-300.0000
fOverShoulderHorsePosZ=0.0000
fOverShoulderHorsePosX=0.0000

The level scaling that is present in Skyrim definitely does not make you weaker. I am level 24 and I'm taking out enemies that gave me problems a few levels earlier much easier now. The scaling does introduce newer and tougher enemies though as you level up, but they don't scale to match your level or anything. I feel the system is really well done, brilliant even, and absolutely necessary for this type of game. This is probably the first time I've actually liked any form of level scaling whatsoever. Before Skyrim I hated even the thought of it. But Skyrim is very dynamic indeed and the leveling system as a whole is just really well done.

I just fought a necromancer in an old ruin who was tough as nails. Had to reload a few times to finally get him. He was one-shotting me with some frost spells. Took my Dremora and my companion out very quickly and then would turn on me, I finally killed him and got some killer loot. Also opened an expert lock and found an Ebony shield, which is well above my level. Nice to see you can get those types of items at any level. The loot is obviously also scaled in Skyrim, but again, it just works so well I can't complain. The game as a whole (scaling included) is very rewarding.

Interesting. I guess you went with normal weapons instead of spells? Destruction mage gets a lot weaker as you level up. Enemeis that took 2 hits with dual firebolts now take 5 at lvl 16.

Yeah, I use a sword and shield mostly. Occasionally I use Flames, which seems to work well on certain enemies, but it's mostly sword and shield.

Biggest asset so far has been my Daedric staff which summons a Dremora for 60 seconds. I've noticed my battles have become much easier lately (minus boss characters which seem to scale higher at times), but during regular fights I summon my Dremora and just stand back and watch. Usually my companion and Dremora are enough to take out most lesser enemies.

But yeah, I've definitely noticed the feeling of becoming stronger each level. Sabre cats used to maul me to death, now I can easily kill them. It also helps that I put perks into my sword skills. Plus I'm using an enchanted sword which adds 15 points of frost damage, so I'm pretty decently outfitted at my level. The game definitely throws some brutal challenges at you at times, though, which makes me feel weak again, but for the most part, I truly feel like I'm increasing in strength as I level up. Especially when I put perks into my combat skills.

Skyrims music is just perfect. NOT PERFECT is it's voice quality. I spoke to some npcs in Rorikstatt (hmm, the German name of it) and realized, they used a pretty crappy audio codec. Sounds like mp3 at 80 kbps, a lot of warbling, you know how it sounds like. Very lowest edge. But still it's alright, I'm not complaining at all :)

I have been thinking about the dark dungeons. I have to agree that it is very odd that someone keeps so many candles and hot coals burning in all the dungeons ;p

On the one hand you can't keep them dark and only let certain races access them, although I suppose a torch is an option ... but not a very fun one all things considered. Nor would it be fair to make all theives "night visions races" as clearly carrying a torch will break stealth.

Instead I think there could be a better way to balance these things. Here are some options I thought about.

- Races with night vision would have the best option overall
- Since all characters start with a little magic provide a low-level night vision or candlelight spell
- In some dungones it makes sense to have scones, torches, candles, etc. in place, especially where there are occupants
- Use more "atmospheric" light. Instead of dungeons use phosphourous lichen and mushrooms. Glowing insects or stones. Maybe even ghostly vapors in crypts.

Anyhow I see the light in dungeons one of those compromises to make the game fun but would be nice to see some things more immersive.

I totally agree that with bandit parties etc it should be lit up but an ancient crypt?Make it pitch black and scary and require torches for the non-magic types and a kool night vision look for the races that have that.

I was thinking today on what would make Skyrim perfect and it hit me how hard it really is to do that.My idea is to make it hard but when I self impose these hardships it can become frustrating instead.Here is some ideas.

Remove the quick save and save upon waiting.A player in outside world has to survive from town to town and can rest when a inn is reached.Dungeons are different in that you find beds here and there you can sleep in(when nearby enemies are all dead) and some dungeons have doors that auto-save when you go thru and a final save when you exit dungeon.

Next is to make the alchemy skill very quick to level and make basic healing potion known from beginning of game and remove the potions found everywhere.Force the players to collect ingredients and make potions to survive.Next is remove the health regen completely and possible make food intake control stamina where as you get hungry the stamina starts to drop even when not sprinting/fighting so that say at full hunger you have half your stamina.

So what happens is that now you enter dungeons and you feel tension since if you die you have to replay the part you just played for past 1/2 hour over and over ala Dark Souls "owner of hardest game ever title".I find that now I start walking and listening for enemies ahead and its great stuff.A chest becomes a death trap now since you can only carry so many health potions and who knows where the next save point is.Those swinging axe traps you must run thru are nerve wracking. :lol:

Anyone become a vampire or werewolf yet? I'm thinking about going vamp even though the minuses outweigh the pluses. I never played as a vamp and thought it might be more challenging for this game.

In Morrowind only been a werewolf and in Oblivion only as a vampire and in lands of Skyrim what ever fate will decide to curse my character first, even if he is more aware about specie of werewolf and how they are distinguished in human form,that where captured in Morrowind and Cyrodiil from recent salvaged book.

I'm a werewolf, but I rarely use it. I should use it once in awhile just to mix things up. It doubles your health I believe, but you take more damage because of no armor. The best thing about being a werewolf is using your roar which scares the enemies into running away, which you can then chase them down and kill them from behind.

Back
Top Bottom