Deep Sky Derelicts - Review @ Gamespew

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Gamespew checked out Deep Sky Derelicts:

Deep Sky Derelicts Review

It would be easy, but incorrect, to dismiss Deep Sky Derelicts from Snowhound Games as a Darkest Dungeon clone.

When I first saw the comic-style artwork, the turn-based combat, and heard rumours of the nail-biting difficulty, I was ready to review this game unfavourably, slamming it for simply regurgitating another game’s trademark formula. However, I must confess, within 20minutes of Deep Sky Derelicts I was hooked like a heroin addict. It learns from Darkest Dungeon, XCOM and even CCGs such as Hearthstone and Fable Fortune, but somehow builds them all into a reliable and unique framework that is a joy to play.

Deep Sky Derelicts is set in a Star Wars-esque ‘old future’ with super-advanced technology such as space travel, forcefields, laser-weaponry, and much more. All of this technology has a kind of weathered look, as though it is something arcane dug out of an earlier epoch. There is also a host of intriguing alien lifeforms to be encountered, all of them characterful yet threatening. Some of these aliens are downright weird; others are Lovecraftian. It’s here the game shows its XCOM roots, because all of the aliens contribute to the creation of what is a surprisingly compelling sci-fi world that incorporates so many elements we already know and love, but just has enough of a different spin to keep you guessing.
[...]
Everything about Deep Sky Derelict seems to have been done right, from the synthwave soundtrack to the lore to the unusual combat system. It’s rare that a game with procedural elements holds my attention for long, and rarer still that an RPG can show me something new. Deep Sky Derelicts has managed to do both and pull it off with a certain ballsy panache. I can’t wait to discover what lies in the deepest depths of this game. And that evocation of child-awed wanderlust is a sign of its true success.

Score: 8/10
More information.

Does anybody know if your chars are as expendable as in Darkest Dungeon?

Wait... chars are expendable in DD? No wonder why I find that game so damn hard!

Does anybody know if your chars are as expendable as in Darkest Dungeon?

They play differently. Strangely enough, features that would have sat well in DD are included DSD without being mandatory.
DSD is campaign driven.

Surprised the review had nothing negative to say. Most Steam reviews conclude the game is missing something: balance, replayability (I think they all basically say this), depth.

One run product, as a consequence, it is barely streamed.

Back
Top Bottom