|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Bard's Tale IV

Default Bard's Tale IV

October 14th, 2018, 16:09
Just published my (German) Review of this Game.
If you're currently having fun it might be good to not watch it before you finished or dropped the game. It's not containing any spoilers in the normal sense but it might drain some of the fun.

loading…
--
Doing >Let's Plays< and >Reviews< in German. Latest Review: Avernum 3: Ruined World
Mostly playing Indie titles, including Strategy, Tactics and Roleplaying-Games.
And here is a list of all games I ever played.

Kordanor

Wastelander

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

October 14th, 2018, 20:00
Well, I do know that it is kind of dull in some parts, for example the city of Skara Brae is a bit empty, although not that much, and everything is looking so much … like an "old school dungeon crawler".
For me, personally, that's good. I like it this way.
One could say "quite outdated graphics", but I'm used to that.

But I fear that later parts might be … not that good. And maybe even a bit too hard for my PC.

Everything reminds me very much - when I think of it - of Arx.
Only with better graphics … and, well, everything is a different world, of course.

P.S. : What do I do with Elven Weapons I put them into some kind of shrine, and then ? There happens nothing. What must I do ?
The in-game starting tips say that some even need to slay a certain enemy in order to solve the riddle … But in general, what do I do with them ?
( That axe looks very much like a guitar, by the way ! )
--
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

October 14th, 2018, 20:43
It's actually quite easy:
Most (not all) elven weapons have 3 stages.
The first 2 are always puzzles on the weapon.
The third one either requires:
1. Place elven weapon into one of these shrines. You find the right shrine by comparing the text you get on the last stage and the text you see on the shrine. It's less of a riddle than a 100% match.
2. Very few items (afaik) require you to kill someone
3. Very few items reuire you to play a song at a special location
--
Doing >Let's Plays< and >Reviews< in German. Latest Review: Avernum 3: Ruined World

Kordanor

Wastelander

October 14th, 2018, 20:51
Thank you very much !
--
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

October 15th, 2018, 00:56
Can you bring the text up on the weapon at a later date to remind you of what phrase the weapon contained ?

Originally Posted by Kordanor View Post
It's actually quite easy:
Most (not all) elven weapons have 3 stages.
The first 2 are always puzzles on the weapon.
The third one either requires:
1. Place elven weapon into one of these shrines. You find the right shrine by comparing the text you get on the last stage and the text you see on the shrine. It's less of a riddle than a 100% match.
2. Very few items (afaik) require you to kill someone
3. Very few items reuire you to play a song at a special location

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

October 15th, 2018, 00:59
Yep, just inspect the weapon again. Usually you need to click on a gem or something on the hilt to bring up the text.

Regarding the shrines however: You need to note them down once you encountered them. Otherwise it will be hell to find them again.
--

Kordanor

Wastelander

October 15th, 2018, 09:45
And collect those blue/yellow/white/violet "seeds" that look like gems. They are needed to finalize the first two stages.

Cacheperl

Keeper of the Watch

October 15th, 2018, 15:14
I have seeds and i have weapons but to be honest the few I bother to unlock i found worthless compare to other weapons you find in the game. I noticed that when looking at @Kordanor video of fortgeardon (btw sadly i am a dumb American and don't know German) he didn't appear to be using these weapons. In fact it look like he mostly used the same weapons I used - but his party was very different.

Originally Posted by Cacheperl View Post
And collect those blue/yellow/white/violet "seeds" that look like gems. They are needed to finalize the first two stages.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

October 15th, 2018, 21:09
I collect everything I can get - as an typical Adventure player !
--

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

October 15th, 2018, 22:37
Originally Posted by you View Post
I have seeds and i have weapons but to be honest the few I bother to unlock i found worthless compare to other weapons you find in the game. I noticed that when looking at @Kordanor video of fortgeardon (btw sadly i am a dumb American and don't know German) he didn't appear to be using these weapons. In fact it look like he mostly used the same weapons I used - but his party was very different.
Well… yeah. I have to agree that at some point you just start collecting a bunch of rather useless puzzle weapons. (at least the puzzle weapons are not trolling you by giving you additional skills that reduce the number of skill slots, like certain other weapons )

Two types of puzzle weapons seem to be very useful tho. "Keen" weapons, which help with your melee crits. There are several of those.

And the totally overpowered Galfroi's wand. It's really overpowered. Overpowered. Did I say overpowered? Over. Powered.

Cacheperl

Keeper of the Watch

October 15th, 2018, 23:37
Yeah, Galfoi's Wand is the overpowered puzzle weapon which broke the balance most.
The other weapons in the party hardly matter in comparison. My rogue had some sword with some 100% crit chance on a crit and resetting a bunch of stuff at a chance when this happening and on the other hand the rogue was using a "normal" sword. The extra attack on this sword attack is just adding 50% damage, which is pretty insane, especially combined with the critical ability and the skill reset and opportunity refund on crits.
--

Kordanor

Wastelander

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Bard's Tale IV