RPGWatch - Moving to a New Server

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
On one of the coming days we will be moving to a new server, which is something that happens every two years.
In the past months quite some time was spent on stuff that is completely invisible for any of you. At least it should be invisible for the most part, like adding extra security measures, improving the performance, updating 3rd party software components, but also preparing to be able to move to new forum software, which is something we are planning to do somewhere in the future.

One thing that has been done is limiting the number of ciphers that are supported, which is a security measure. These ciphers are uses as a handshake between the browser and the server. The result is that only newer browsers will be supported, which is also required as some security measures depend on the browser being used. For most of you that will not be an issue, but if you like to use something like Internet Explorer then I'm afraid it really is about time to leave that behind you.

The move itself will probably take more time than it usually takes, as we are also moving the domain to a different host, which provides DNSSEC support (another security measure). This means that the move can take anything from a few hours to a day.

You will notice that the move has begun because you either see a maintenance message, or the site is inaccesible for a longer period of time. You will notice that the move has been completed, because there will be a news post shown that it has been completed. With some luck the move goes fast enough for you, to not notice it has happened.
You can also watch our RPGWatch Twitter channel, where we will tweet when the move has started and when it has ended.

I'm not sure yet on what day the move will start, because there is still one open end (that I know of now), but it should be somewhere in the next 5 days.

More information.

Into the breach once more.

The Watch has a Twitter account? Site maintenance aside, what does it tweet? Doee it endeavor to sway world leaders or decry the social ills of loot boxes? Or maybe it doesn't matter, as I steer clear of that self-important nightmare landscape.

That's a boring one. No one is yelling about anything.

Already having withdrawals! Best wishes on the move and hope it goes well for all.

Fingers crossed as last time the site went down it was a mess.:fingerscrossed:

Its the end of the world as we know it.....

Thanks for everything you do to keep the site efficient and enjoyable. It is appreciated

Good luck!

That's the best kind of work, where I just have to Watch. :)

That's a boring one. No one is yelling about anything.
Well, f you and your need of drama in server movement!
Also, screw moving to a new server! Such useless crap! Never change a running system!

.... better? :biggrin:

Thanks for the efforts. This sort of thing is usually more work than you'd hope.

New forum software,eh? I'm sure that will be universally well-received. :p

Since this is a gaming site I expect (demand?) a whole lotta bugs. And inexplicably prolonged downtimes.

A pibbur who (being unexpectedly serious - won't happen again) appreciates all the good work.

Well, f you and your need of drama in server movement!
Also, screw moving to a new server! Such useless crap! Never change a running system!

…. better? :biggrin:
I say go back to what worked flawlessly years ago!!!

A pibbur who no doubt (physically) worked better years ago.

Since this is a gaming site I expect (demand?) a whole lotta bugs. And inexplicably prolonged downtimes.

A pibbur who (being unexpectedly serious - won't happen again) appreciates all the good work.

The new server will be in EA for 1-2 years.

The move is not going to be today :)

I've just finished the last modification (according to my current list), with which I managed to make the allowed range of browsers somewhat larger, while still scoring an A+ on SSLLabs.

Back
Top Bottom