What Game Should I Play Next?

You will reach level 20 very quickly so either use a slow-down, or boost the level to 30 whichever you prefer.

If I enable the DLC then won't it put stronger enemies in my way, further boosting my XP received? I think I'll wait until level 20 b4 Broken Steel, otherwise it will ACCELERATE leveling!

Even so, at this rate, I will not be surprised if I max out at level 30 before getting back to the main quest…

It's alright. If it becomes too easy, I can ramp up the difficulty, or start over and go to the places I haven't been with the new character.

The DLC enemies will be scaled to your level to a certain degree, just like the rest of the game. Also, the DLC areas are all completely self contained, except for Broken Steel, which adds Enclave Troopers to certain spots around the Wasteland. I had Broken Steel activated from the beginning when I played, it doesn't make a big difference.

Again, I recommend 'Arwen's Reduced XPR' mod. It reduces the amount of XP gained for combat, hacking, etc., but it doesn't make any changes to the amount of XP needed for each level-up. That means you can introduce it into your game at any time, and it's 100% compatible with Broken Steel.

It's the scaling to your level that worries me. Even at levels under 20 there is a chance for a higher level BS enemy that will give you more XP than wo BS. It looks like BS modifies some locations in the Wasteland, so that's another reason to put it off for me. I'd like to see them unmodded first. That means a second romp around the Wasteland though. Perhaps I should install it right away? decisions, decisions…

I think I'm going for the reduced XP mod. I am at level 9 now which seems close to the sweet spot.

Last edited:
It would be a huge waste of time to play FO3 twice just to see the difference between having or not having Broken Steel installed. That's my opinion anyways. The only significant change happens after the endgame. Other than that, BS simply adds a few new variations of existing enemies i.e. Albino Radscorpions, that don't show up until you're level 20 or higher anyways.

OK, after 106 hours of play time I'm level 12 and I've maybe explored a quarter of the game. I installed the Arwen XP mod around level 10. So my leveling speed should slow down from trash encounters.

I haven't progressed the main quest beyond Megaton, and have done only a few misc quests (Them!, Blood Ties, the first chapter of the Wasteland Explorer's Guide), plus a bunch of little undocumented quests. So yeah, this game is starting to get a bit too repetitive. My exploration interest is waning because of repetition in environments/enemies and mostly weak rewards so far.

It's most exciting for me when things happen like getting surprise surrounded by 3 Miralurks by being to complacent. ;) Otherwise, the back and forth for shuttling and selling loot and buying supplies and respawning repeated encounters is just too repetitive...

Any suggestions on how to make it more interesting? Should I just ignore completist OCD exploration and do main and misc quests ASAP?

OK, after 106 hours of play time I'm level 12 and I've maybe explored a quarter of the game.** *snip* **Any suggestions on how to make it more interesting? Should I just ignore completist OCD exploration and do main and misc quests ASAP?

Wow, and I thought *I* was a completist. ;)

There's no way you should be only a quarter of the way through after 106 hours. I finished every quest in the game, plus every DLC except for Point Lookout, in around 200 hours. I don't think there was any landmark that I didn't discover, and I cleared every interior area.

Personally, I think you're getting too hung up on the small stuff, and it's starting to affect your enjoyment of the game. Stop picking up all the crap that you don't need! My suggestion would be to start forging ahead on some quests, and stop using such an overly methodical pattern of exploration.

OK, maybe more than a quarter, perhaps a third. Out of the 9 wasteland zones, 5 are untouched.

Did you make sure you uncovered every inch of the map? I did that with Oblivion and Morrowind, and this is starting to feel like the same game. Not a good thing…

I need counseling. :p

EDIT: Classic example. Walking along, minding my own business (right ;)) I see something strange fall from the sky a couple hundred feet in front of me. I race over to investigate. Spend 10 minutes slowly circling around search pattern, until I give up. Not to mention looking for the weapons that drop from enemies in the grass and rocks, never to be found again… hate that…

Last edited:
LOL! What if I miss a metal box that contains a tin can? ;)

But seriously, I don't pick up anything that has under 2 for 1 value/weight ratio, unless it's a crafting component, can be used for repair, or is a quest collectible. Too much still, though. I will try to resist.

I've amassed 9000 bottlecaps and have bought all the schematics I've found so far. I suppose I really don't need more caps?

I've amassed 9000 bottlecaps and have bought all the schematics I've found so far. I suppose I really don't need more caps?

I…don`t…think…you…do…sir… *backs off slowly*

Heh, your OCD sounds severe :) Mine relating to items is bad, but nowhere as near. But at least you actually play the game - my obsession with graphics tweaking made my install totally unplayable - CTD`s every 20 mins and terrible lag. I overdid it & have broken the engine.

I had to reinstall and carefully re-apply everything & now I actually swore to never again touch the .ini files/in-game options/loader options/desktop options/desktop override options/mod .ini files......aaarrrrgh :)

So I`m back now, with Arwen`s XP, just plundered Vault 106. If you`ve been there I wonder if you found that one rare book that was hidden in a stash of crates cleverly stacked on top of each other. It was a great puzzle and I love this god damn game :)

I don't think I ever had more than 6000-7000 caps the entire time I played, and it was never an issue.

OK, thanks. Good to know. In the future I'll raise my looting criteria to something like 3-4 to 1 ratio, or whatever is needed to just cover ammo and repair part costs.

So I`m back now, with Arwen`s XP, just plundered Vault 106. If you`ve been there I wonder if you found that one rare book that was hidden in a stash of crates cleverly stacked on top of each other. It was a great puzzle and I love this god damn game :)

Great creepy vault. You know, that one I missed on my first pass. Now I leave no box (or pail) unturned. ;) This leads to another example of OCD. :p After clearing an area I check a walkthrough and see if I missed anything. Not only did I miss that hidden book, but some of the freaky notes on the floor that look a lot like all the trash textures. Of course, I had to go back and get the book and notes. So, this also probably explains my long playtime…

And now I have a real OCD puzzle to solve. I found a few unique (to me, at least) alien power cells on the ground after an explosion right in front of the vault. I need to search the rock cliffs and surrounding areas for more of them. It looks almost like a trail of breadcrumbs... ;)

Damn IronSights mod needs to be patched I think before those breadcrumbs resolve into a goodie. I found Dogmeat! He keeps hunting around for weapon hidden behind a rock, unsuccessfully, exactly under a yellow exclamation point warning…

I am now at level 15, and still have not progressed the main quest to GNR. I've finished Operation Anchorage, about 6 misc quests (loved the Big Town quest). Maybe 50% of the map is revealed?

I'm thinking of doing the Pitt next and leaving the main quest to near the end. Or is it better not to? Thoughts?

BTW, I have 12k caps now, even after dumping stuff to leave behind. Had to get the Strong Back perk....

I would definitely do some more of the main quest before doing The Pitt. At least get to GNR, and do the next couple of quests after that.

OK, I've already been to Rivet City to finish the Those! quest. I have an opportunity to short circuit the main quest by taking out the GNR step...

On my way to Girdershade to deliver some Nuka Cola, I've been distracted by a bit of fun at Tenpenny Tower. Seems tricky to do this one peacefully…

I didn't like the Tenpenny Tower quest at all. None of the possible solutions felt right to me. I would have went to GNR before going all the way to Rivet City, but you can still do the GNR quest afterwards, if you choose the right dialogue with Three Dog.

Back
Top Bottom